1996 Mazda Protege

Best 12K car I've ever owned!

by from Florissant, Missouri on January 9, 2011

We bought a 96 LX for 12,000 dollars and kept it for 12 years and put 162,000 miles on it and never spent a dime over basic maintenance. That engine was as smooth at 162K as it was at 162 miles. With the 5-speed manual, we averaged in the low 40's on long trips and averaged mid 30's in city driving. It had a large trunk and a big backseat. It was the 3rd of 5 Mazda's that we have owned. I currently drive a 07 Mazda3 that is also a great car!

Great Car

by from Cullman, AL on February 3, 2009

I bought my Protege new. I currently have 260K miles and have done almost no work on it. I replaced the factory brakes at 150K and the belts at 210K. Aside from tires and oil changes, I have done no other work. While it is not the greatest ride, it gets great gas milage. Only problem I have had is that the cruise control has not worked in 7 years. Overall a great car for the price.

'96 Protege LX

by from Santa Rosa, CA on January 1, 2010

This little car has everything you need for a student, commuter, or small family car. I use it for all of the above and there is plenty of room for my kids two car seats in the back and the trunk holds alot for a car it's size. Mine has power everything and has had very few problems since it was new. Got a good deal out of a neighbor who bought it new and would tell anyone looking at similar small four door sedans to look no further.

96'Protege ES

by from Wisconsin on July 10, 2009

This car has most options for the year Alloy wheels,Sunroof and 4 Wheel ABS. For how small the engine is this car should get better MPG All it gets is about 21-23 MPG Combined.

96 Protege DX

by from North Andover, MA on May 25, 2006

Very basic car that gets good gas mileage. Almost no special features. A little speed, very slow acceleration. Not very well engineered. The kind of car that you are lucky to get 100k miles out of. Not recommeded that you spend over $3,000 on one of these.

Similar Models