2000 Protege

2000 Mazda Protege

2000 Mazda Protege

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have You Driven the 2000 Mazda Protege?

Hope the next one's this good... if I need one!

by Easy Breezy from Small city, midwest on Tue Apr 26 2011

Got the DX new, with automatic and most options. Wife commutes 400mi/wk... mostly highway. I do basic maintenance, she does the cosmetics. Last visit to rotate tires, the guy marveled at how nice the car looks and runs. Even w/ 273,000 miles, wife is in no hurry for a new one... friends' new cars seem to have more problems. She drives it harder and faster than I do, and gets around 32mpg on 90% open highway miles. I've dabbled a little with hypermiling, and am reluctant to tell friends what this car can do with a gallon of gas - they don't believe it. It's easy to get 42 to 45mpg... I've done it multiple times on a 420 trip (2-lane roads) with two of us and a week's worth of camping gear. Just use the A/C sparingly, keep the speed over 42mph (stays in the tallest gear), and under 55mph (lower wind resistance, and higher burn efficiency). Accelerate gently, and despise use of the brakes. Yeah, it adds over an hour to a nearly 7-hour trip, but what a hoot at the gas pump. My best mpg was one of these trips with a very helpful tailwind that assisted getting between 51mpg and 53mpg depending on exactly duplicating the previous gas topping off. For most of that day, I thought the gas gauge had quit working! Super dependable car. We're taking it on a 3K mile trip this summer with no concerns. Our only major problem in 11 yrs was result of an engine belt that prematurely broke, stopping the water pump, causing engine to overheat, warping the engine head, causing a head gasket failure at 180K. Mechanic sent the head to a specialist, fixed it all up, and we've put over 90K on it since. Only problem now is a minor oil drip from the work. Everything else has been normal maintenance items. Power door lock mechanisms are weak. Only go 1/2 way up/down after several quick uses. Wait a minute, then they work normally again. Strange. Manually, they always work fine. All other power/comfort/entertainment options work like new. Comfort rating is low due to road noise and a not-so-smooth ride, but driving position, seats and headroom, even with sunroof, (I'm 6'-2") are good. Performance rating is middle. The 1.6L engine will disappoint anyone wanting to race from stop lights, but it's sufficient for commuting, errands, trips, etc. Handling is very good. Corners well, maneuverable, good steering feed back.

Incredible Vehicle

by az boy from Phoenix, AZ on Tue Apr 13 2010

i have had this car for 5 years and this car has been the most reliable vehicle. it has not had any repairs besides the usual wear and tear. mps is great i drive from school to work and everywhere in between. interior is big enough to fit 5 easily, trunk is big. overall design is great. if your looking for a reliable and a first time owner this car is for you.

I miss my little Protege :(

by Ojimram from CO on Thu Jun 24 2010

I had my 2000 Protege for 8 years. Those were 8 years of reliable, fun driving. It was a great car and I have many fond memories of long road trips in it. Bought it with 12,000 miles and just sold it with just 60,000 on it. The entire time I had it, I had no problems at all with it, but I tried to take good care of it. Well actually, one of the rear door locks did quit working with the master lock about a year ago, but was functional manually. It never once let me down. Started up in freezing temps in the morning with no problem. I thought it was very cute, handled well and was fun to drive. Even at the ripe age of 10, it still got many compliments on what a good lookin' little car it was. Although it wasn't the most powerful car on hills, mountain passes, etc., it did a fine job on the highway & with everyday driving. It was excellent on gas and the cost of routine maintenance was economical. I sold it a few weeks so I could upgrade to a vehicle that would accommodate our growing family and dogs and boy, do I regret not keeping it. I should have kept it. I can only hope the newer vehicle will be as reliable, and that the new owner appreciates what a little gem of a car it is.

2000 DX

by Crober from Massachusetts on Sat Jul 24 2010

I purchased this car used and now have 109,000 miles on it. I use it as my everyday vehicle. The milage i get is unbelivable. My combined hwy and city average is a little over 40mpg. This is a 5 speed manul with not bells and whistles, just a basic car for getting around. I love the handling, great on corners. The volume control on the radio cd play does what it wants, increases volume when u try to decrease it, and sometimes decreases it when u try to increase it. I LOVE this car. Hope to keep it until it dies.

Great commuter car

by Frugal guy from Austin TX on Fri Mar 09 2007

I have a little over 150k miles on mine and I havent had any major issues. I bought the car used with 80k miles. The only work I have done to this car includes the following: Brakes, Alingment, tires, and I had to replace the blower fan that runs the AC...it worked, but when I bought the car it a ticking sound for every rotation of the fan...it was just annoying. The car runs like a champ. The ES model has the 1.8L engine and gives you plenty passing power on the highway and around town...pretty peppy car for a 4 banger that consistently gets 28mpg. The only thing I dont like about it is the interior noise and the little rattles. It is definately not a quiet car and there are a few rattles under the dash that I cant fix because I cant get to them. I would recommend it if you are looking for a cheap mode of transportation that is very dependable. .

Best car ever made

by Mazdalover from Charleston, SC on Mon Mar 05 2018

I bought my 2000 Mazda Protege from the second owner. The Protege had 152,000 miles on it and had been maintained but with no real repairs. I have had this car now as a daily driver for 5 years. At 187,000 miles I have had no repairs. Just routine maintenance such as oil changes, belt, hoses, tires, etc.. I find the car has a lot of pep but best of all the gas mileage is INCREDIBLE! I get 28 MPG in the city and 41 MPG on the highway. I was talking to another owner of the same vehicle and they had 320,000 miles with no major repairs. Built to last and loads of run to drive. It reminds me of a Porsche. I especially like the low body, tall glass, cab forward design similar to the older Ferraris. I will keep it until it stops running which means I will probably have it for the rest of my life. The guy that sold it to me stops by every year to whine about how he wished he had not sold it.

This car was a great buy for the owner.

by Owner Neice from birmingham, Alabama on Mon Aug 13 2018

This car served the owner well. It was purchased by a retired person so the mileage is very low. The inside is very clean for a used car.

Not one problem after 150,000 miles

by gas meiser from Philadelphia,Pa on Thu Mar 01 2007

This car has been our commuter car for the last 7 years and has never broke down once. It may not be fancy, but it sure is reliable. Wish they still made them!!

Most reliable car I've ever owned

by riprop on Tue Aug 08 2017

I got this car with 92k on it and have put another 15k on it during the two years I've owned it. Car has needed nothing but regular gas and regular oil changes (every 4k miles). I've driven it every way possible and it has never given me a problem. Car has always started right up and never let me down. For a 17 year old car it blends it with everything on the road quite nicely and the interior although basic, is functional and well laid out. This is the kinda car you can beat on and it will just keep going.

cheap but good

by scrapwoodlady from Waxhaw, NC on Thu Feb 24 2011

I have had really great service from my Mazdas. I have owened 5 since '73. One has almost 300k miles on it and is still in the family, running fine.

1 2 3