Read or write a review.

2003 Mazda Protege

Change Year
4.4
Average based on 22 reviews

Worth every penny - handles like a dream

by from NY & NC on August 8, 2009

I purchased my car new, in 1997, it is now 2009 and the car is still on the road. With regular maintence, and oil changes this car still runs well. What I love about the Protege most is its handling. It takes the corners like a dream and a close second to its handling is the reliability; this car never fails to start and always gets me to my destination. I paid $13,500 and it was worth every penny. The car came loaded with power everything, replete with tape deck and CD player. I would definitely buy a Mazda again.

Mazda Protege 2003 LX

by from Storrs, CT on February 20, 2013

I had my Mazda Protege LX (2003) for nearly 6 years and it was my first car. I bought it when it had 37k miles on it and sold it at 83k. This is an excellent car for daily use although I used it for regular long drives on the highway. Mazda's hybrid design is unique. It has the looks of a passenger car but handles like a sports car. 2003 Protege is very responsive. Over the time period I had it, I changed the tires, replaced the serpentine belt, cleaned the rotors, and replaced breaks one time. These are just standard maintenance. The key is to service your car routinely (every 3000-5000 miles) at a reputable place where they do a consistent point check. For example, you will know when to change breaks (don't rely entirely on service people because they usually tend to exaggerate services required. Just decide based on your gut after carefully reviewing their recommendations). 2.0 engine is great for highway driving. I once drove a 2011 Honda Civic on the highway and it was screaming to get up to a modest 57 mph. The Protege, however, can reach 65 mph fairly easily. The car is very reliable, 2003 Protege is probably the best Protege that Mazda ever made and the last of its kind.

GREAT CAR FOR THE LAST 6 YEARS

by from Cincy on February 13, 2009

I purchased my Mazda new in 03. Haven't had a minutes worth of trouble from it. Did have a tensioning spring for the seat belt replaced last year (no big deal) Typical care...brakes done, oil changes, tires,etc... Very reliable, great on gas, most comfortable/roomy of cars I test drove in it's class. Handles well, great gas mileage. Overall been a great car for me to scoot around town in.

Love It

by from Chesapeake, VA on December 2, 2008

This car is a great car and would recommend it to anyone interested in an inexpensive alternative to the civic for mods and upgrades.

good performance for the cash

by from new jersey on August 22, 2006

i bought the car in 2003 brand new and i love it still now. its a great car for the money, even though the price of the mazda protege has always been higher because they are made in japan. The comfort is not as impressive as the performance of the engine, but it makes out well. the engine revvs very high.

Best car I have ever owned

by from China Grove, NC on January 5, 2015

I bought my Mazda Protege new in 2003. I have about 96,000 miles on my car. I have had very few problems with my car. Had a belt replaced once and everything else has been your typical maintenance. I love the way it handles, it turns on a dime. On Christmas Eve day I was on my way to work and someone ran a red light and hit the drivers front side. I have no idea at this point if the insurance company is going to have the damage fixed or if they will have it totaled. It will be so sad for me if it it totaled as with such low mileage and just had new tires put on this past summer I will never find anything even close to what I have in this little car. I can say one thing, if I have to start looking for a car I think I might start with the Mazda 3.

What's not to Like?

by from Honolulu, HI on September 24, 2007

This car has everything anyone needs. - turbo engine - stylish - cheaper than other Japanese Cars - reliable - great fuel economy - smooth ride - a dream car for all those stick shift lovers What's not to like about this car?

Best Car I Drive

by from Elizabeth City, NC on February 5, 2008

The Protege ES is a great car. Easy hull for mods and sporty in design. Too bad they quit making them!

NO BETTER HANDLING CAR FOR THE MONEY

by from ATLANTA , GA on April 30, 2008

WITH GAS PRICES GOING UP, IF UR THINKING SMALLER CAR ( THIS IS THE ONE, HANDS DOWN)GREAT MILEAGE, HANDLING, AND COMFORT, IV GOT AN '03 ES WITH SUNROOF , SPOILER AND AUTO-STICK. DECENT TRUNK SIZE. ADJ. SEATS, 16 INCH RIMS. PEPPY 2.0 ENGINE, AWSOME RADIO. WHAT MORE COULD U ASK FOR RIGHT? LEATHER SEATS,,,SRY DONT THINK IT COMES IN LEATHER,,,FANTASTIC CAR OVERALL!!

Super fun to drive!

by from D.C. on September 26, 2006

Don't want to drive a Honda Civic like everyone else? Take a look at the Protege - it'll smoke a Civic in the turns!

Similar Models