Timeless classics

by from Indianapolis on August 26, 2010

For a long time the second gen RX-7 was underrated and under appreciated by sports car enthusiasts. The Rotary power plant in these cars seems like a great mechanical mystery to many car lovers. We all know how the saying goes but I will say it again "People are afraid of things they don't understand." I have had several of these cars and each one had it's own soulful story. In my opinion many of these cars were mistreated and poorly maintained so it can be difficult to find a nice one. The Mazda Rx-7 is one of the best handling sports cars to come from the mid 80s and you can still see them beating up much more expensive newer cars at local track days. The body lines are timeless. Just like with any car, if improperly maintained they are good at generating crazy expensive repair bills. While the rotary is mechanically a lot less prone to failure than a piston engine any kind auxiliary control device failure can cook the engine quick. The engines are very expensive to replace so it's important to keep up with regular maintenance. They are really cool classic but I would not recommend buying one with out doing some research first.

Best sports car for the money

by from Topeka, KS on June 3, 2011

This is the second RX7 I have owned. I owned a first generation (1983 coupe), which I loved. I bought my 1991 convertible because I wanted to get back to a true sports car. I have driven Porsche 911s and you get every bit as much handling and, almost, the same acceleration as the base 911, at a lot less cost. The money you pay for these second generation RX7s is truly a bargain. Earlier reviewers have been spot on as to maintenance and care and feeding of an RX7. You really need to pay attention to the oil. The RX7 engine uses a small amount of oil in the gas, to lubricate the rotor seals, and, by design, you use some oil every time you drive it; more so if you drive it hard. The rotary engine runs hot, so do what you can to keep it cool. I just removed the "coffee can" mufflers a juvenile prior owner put on this car, as the fiberglass interior burnt out quick and, more importantly, it sounded like some kind of sub-compact toy street car. This car is a blast to drive on curvy rural roads. The fuel economy is not terrific, but very much worth the price.

Best looking head turning for the money!

by from San Diego, Ca on April 3, 2008

It's actually very comfortable and very fun to drive! The sterero has headrest speakers, so hearing your music with the top down is no problem. The car is not to big, easy to park, but feels bigger than your tiny convertibles. Oh, the top is really easy to put down. Half power and half manual. I always get alot of "NICE CAR!" where ever I go in it.So get one if you can, their are not many around.

Poor man's ferrari

by on November 7, 2009

Handles like a gocart smart sexy styling. Has all the bells and whistles. A truly fun ride. Put the top down. Drive it! Luv it!