1996 C-Class

1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

$202 - $5,414  MSRP Range
1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Have You Driven the 1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class?

Reliable, Comfortable, Quality and Classic Styling

by Benz Fan from Duluth, GA on Sat Jun 10 2017

I bought this car new 20 years ago as a gift for my wife and it is still as beautiful, reliable and comfortable today as it was when new. The bullet-proof engine and automatic transmission has made this particular model (the C-220) a favorite to be used as a taxi in Europe and the Middle East. I bought my wife new car recently and now I am driving the C-220. The only 2 complaints I have about this model are: 1) the 0-to-60 time is pathetic, since the engine is naturally-aspirated; and 2) the automatic trunk release is located in an awkward location.

Couldn't Have a Better Car

by TravisC220 from Grove,OK on Wed May 03 2017

It's been 10 years and I couldn't ask for a better car. It's never broken down on me, never left me stranded, and I still get compliments on even when it needs the paint reconditioned and the headliner replaced. Lol...With a four cylinder and a four spied transmission, the 1996 C220 I own will still reach top speed at 138 mph. While the front two seats could use lumbar support, the styling inside and out is very timeless with only minor alterations to make it look like a 2017. Thanks to Mercedes, I can spend my time at work and not working on my car.

Beautiful, Reliable Mercedes

by GracieM on Mon Mar 26 2018

This has been a great car. It is peppy, comfortable and looks great. It is in great shape inside and out. It has been well cared for by Mercedes Benz service techs and has many more miles to go!

Reliable, reliable, reliable

by Borikui from Cecil County, MD on Wed May 12 2010

Is 390,000 plus miles reliable enough? I would suggest YES and the car is still running as smooth as ever. I bought this car used with 68,000 miles for commuting to work. I live in Maryland and work in the New York City metro area so I needed it be low price in order to pay cash and not have a car payment. I have done nothing but a quarterly Oil change(Full Synthetic), Mercedes Oil Filter. I changed the Air Filter to a cleanable K&N, and I change the Spark Plugs every 80K miles (obviously I've changed tires and brakes). This car has not even given me the inclination of leaving me stranded at any point and other than the aforementioned maintenance (which I perform), it has never needed to go to a garage (except tire changes). If you like to save a few bucks and are a shade tree mechanic, the German engineering does not dissapoint. Everything is within easy access and easy to replace. Did I mention that even though this car is not All Wheel Drive it's better in the snow than my AWD Volvo? The weight distribution on this car must me 50/50 because as long as you have good tires, you will not be slipping in the snow. I can go on and on and on but I know that I should keep the review short. In summary GET this car.

Mr.

by Frugal but not Thrifty from Cincinnati, Ohio on Fri May 12 2006

I purchased my C220 used on a whim. I happened to see the vehicle in a lot test drove it and purchased it the next day. The car had roughly 84K miles when purchased. I now have 152K miles. I have owned the vehicle 2 years 9 months. I average 31 mpg primary highway driving and 28 mpg combination city/ hwy. This is the first car I had purchased for myself since 1982. I have always had the luxury of being supplied a company car. Mechanically sound easy and comfortable to drive OLD but NOT out of date. I am purchasing a 96 or 97 for my son who just turned 16 and passed his driving test. He enjoys driving mine and is happy to have one of his own.

Great on Gas!

by Car Trainer from Boca Raton,Florida on Mon Sep 01 2008

I have several cars. I really enjoy this little 4 cylinder Mercedes!It has had a few problems.1. Alarm system wouldn't allow the car to turn on, it took 1 month before Mercedes couldn't figure out how to fix it. That was the only major problem. I really like it because it's great on gas. Mercedes stipped making 4 cylinders c-class in 03.

Nice smooth ride

by cl from ventura county, california on Sat Jun 21 2008

I own a 96 C class 280. the car provides a smooth ride. but thank God for MB warranty as in the beginning several problems came up that were very expensive. the gas tank went bad and i had a loaner car from the dealer for 2 weeks. the part itself was $800 but the warranty (through 70k miles) covered it. there's also a recall on the bushings.