Our Expert Review: 2008 Mercedesbenz Glclass

The best SUV

by from Los Angeles on December 1, 2009

The best suv, that drives like a sedan. My lease is up this Saturday and I know that I will be crying when I turn in the keys. I have had no problems with this car, it's very reliable. Nothing compares to a Mercedes and nothing will. It's a class by it's self.

Fun SUV! But Very Costly

by from Colorado on December 10, 2012

This car is amazing! It is a head-turner, sports car, family SUV, and offroad machine all-in-one! I love how smooth and quiet the 5.5L engine is (despite having WAY too much power) and the 7-speed transmission is a dream for anyone looking for a smooth ride. The car has plenty of space and handle shockingly well for its size. But it does have its downsides. First off, mine is a GL550 equipped with the offroad package and being the GL550, it has 21-inch rims. If you live in a snowy region or want to offroad a lot, be aware that there are VERY few tire options for this car. I have yet to find snow tires that fit this car which makes icy driving scary. Also, offroading isn't too bad but again, tires are so limited and thin that they will flat a lot if you drive it hard enough. THIS CAR IS EXPENSIVE!!! I have only 68k miles on mine, and I've replaced the shocks, all brakes (twice), alternator, battery, and fuel pump. Pretty soon I will need a new transfer case which sells for $2800 not including labor. It is a very expensive and hardly reliable vehicle. BOTTOM LINE: If you want this car, you will be amazed by its overall abilities and performance. But be warned that you will spend a lot of money on things that you won't expect to happen. This is after all a Mercedes-Benz, so don't complain when you have to replace a bunch of stuff!

Wonderful Ride!

by from Hickory NC on March 9, 2010

I absolutely LOVE my 2008 GL550! It is without a doubt the best looking suv on the road. My husband has an Infiniti QX56 which has great horsepower, but he says my GL550 would run his in the dirt! The inside of the vehicle has been designed with quality and class in mind! I bought mine used and am so happy about my choice. You will NOT be disappointed!

Best Truck i have ever driven

by from san fran, ca on January 9, 2008

This is an exeptional vehicle. It is a bit pricey -- i got the 2008 GL 550, but an absolute pleasure to drive -- on and off road.

wife's favorite car ever

by from ID on March 17, 2009

She loves the easy driveability of the gl. It drives and feels nimble for the size. Great 3rd row leg room. Can't beat the mileage!

GL 550 - Germany's Range Rover

by from Miami on September 19, 2007

Visually, the GL 550 makes a strong and bold statement. Huge 21" AMG wheels, flared wheel arches, chrome skidplates (front and rear) and dual split chrome tailpipes and a large chrome grill combine to give the GL a look of solidity, strength and speed. Base models are fully optioned (less the rear DVD entertainment unit) and provide a complete and luxurious package. Seats are well bolstered and comfortable. Rear seats the same. Third row seats can actually fit normal size adults! The GL 550 drives with authority and power is always at hand. Handling is nimble for an automobile this size and weight, made even sharper by the 21" wheels and Continental rubber. Overall, this GL is, to me, a good option to Land Rover's Range Rover, thought the Range Rover is superior off road. Then again, how many drivers really would take either of these expensive automobiles "off road"?

No buyers remorse!

by from Sammamish, WA. on December 2, 2010

I love driving my Mercedes as much as my kids love riding in it! I have always wanted an SUV that could carry more than 5 people and love that I now have room for 7 adults. The back seats are large enough and high enough for adults and they don't feel like they are sitting on the floor boards. My kids enjoy sitting in the very back seats, putting down the middle seats and watching a movie with their feet up, I can't wait untill our California road trip in the summer. I have driven it in the snow and had no trouble getting around even though I had never driven in the snow. We have had issues with the rear lights but Mercedes was quick to fix it without any issues. This is probobly the first car I have bought that I have not had buyers remorse after a couple of days.

Nothing Like A Benz

by from Los Angeles, CA on March 12, 2012

This is my 4th Benz and so far I've never been disappointed. Great vehicle that suits my needs. All the amenities are spot on. Rides like a sedan rather than a truck. Love it.

2008 GL550 What a beast!!!!!

by from Dewitt,VA. on April 6, 2016

I have been looking for a good all around suv with comfort,speed, quality and looks. I have a 2003 Land Rover that did great in the snow but is no match for the gl550. I searched the web and found mine and love it. A suv with a sunroof is great and all my friends love it as much as I do.The third row seats are great but I leave them down. The leather seats are soft and comfortable with a smooth ride to boot.

Best there is.

by from Minneapolis, MN on June 9, 2008

2008 GL320cdi. Technology, performance, ride comfort, easy to use it has it all. Best back up camera in the business. Looked for seamless technology integration, bluetooth works with my iPhone perfectly. Just get in and go. Covered 1000 miles and it already does 26mpg highway. Can't fault it.

Similar Models