2009 GL-Class

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

4.4

Have You Driven the 2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class?

2 months in

by boiler from Chicago on Mon Aug 27 2012

We bought a 09 GL450 2 months ago, and it's been a great addition to our family. I'm not sure why another comment here said that the road noise is bad, because I think that is one of the best features on the car. Maybe they have bad tires or a wheel bearing or something. The gas mileage is around 17 miles per gallon, that's mostly highway and some traveling around town. The V8 has some serious juice and can get you going in no time. I like the leather on the and the interior is nicely designed. The Command Center Navi/Radio is a little hard to use at first, but it gets easier. Overall I would give this SUV and A-, if it wasn't for the steep purchase price and the somewhat OK gas mileage (for an SUV that is), it would get an A.

great overall / a few notes, though

by My Second Benz from Sioux Falls, SD on Thu Dec 26 2013

I traded my R class for a 2009 GL550 - I fell in love with the larger grille, flared wheel wells and hadn't had a V8 in years, so I bought this pre-owned, a bargain compared to new. We love it for trips & it is my daily driver. I am only disappointed that the tire selection is very small for this size wheel on my vehicle and my last Continentals were showing considerable wear on tread in a year's time. I love this vehicle though and have had a few service hiccups over the few years I have had it, but nothing that could not be taken care of. I would buy a GL again, but with the newer style, I can't tell as much difference between a 550 and the lower end GL's styling-wise...

Kid's like the 3rd row more than wife's cadillac

by Bigdawgshoeman from Topeka, KS on Tue Nov 16 2010

Great ride. Kid's getting bigger, so traded in X5 for additional seating of GL550. Kid's say 3rd row seat has more room than Wife's Escalade.. Power is good. Ride is smooth. Cabin is quiet. Jason Maraz sounds great on the Harmon Kardon sound system. Great ride!

2009 Gl-550

by Mercedes Man from Michigan on Mon Apr 28 2014

This Mercedes-Benz is the best combination, luxury, strength, beauty, and practical utility. You can pull up at a fancy restaurant and not feel embarrassed, you can pile in all the kids and their friends and take them all to the soccer game, you can hook up your boat and take it to the cottage or lake easily with the 4 Matic and air suspension and 7500 towing capacity, it makes docking a snap. The GL-550 has a fantastic 382 hp v8 with a smooth 7 speed transmission that makes this SUV the smoothest driving Mercedes-Benz you can buy, and it still can deliver an impressive 17 MPG in the city. The built quality is fantastic, solid and reliable, this SUV was the truck of the year, twice in a row, this should tell you something! For the money a pre owned GL-550 is a unbeatable value, we love ours and friends that also own one love theirs as well. Get one, you will fall in love with this Benz,

Love this machine!

by derrick1217 from Cleveland Ohio on Thu Aug 05 2010

This is the finest car every made! It was a great upgrade from my former car, the PS2 model that I purchased had every option - including a leather dash board - I love this machine!!!

wonderful vehicle but sometimes you pay to play

by sheldeb from Sioux Falls,SD on Tue Mar 14 2017

I have loved this vehicle -mine is the 8cyl GL550 and I purchased it with over 50k on it. I say you have to pay to play since I have had a few air suspension issues that are very spendy to remedy - the regular service intervals are spread out pretty well, but I have had to fix a few things over the years/ I love it so much though that I am planning to purchase a newer one as a replacement/ the comfort, looks, reliability are top notch - the repairs were fairly routine items/ oh, and tires are spendy and you will need a winter set as well with the 550

Comfortable and well appointed

by etcwest1 from Castle Rock on Thu Aug 16 2018

Moving up from a Lexus GX470 so this is bigger. The engine performance and suspension hide the fact that it is bigger and heavier. There's more personality in it's handling, you feel more connected to the road in a good way. The technology on the dash is abundant and it will take a bit to get comfortable with how it all works.

When it's good it's very, very good but ...

by Drive2Ski from Long Island, NY on Mon Dec 16 2013

I've had my 2009 GL 320 Bluetec nearly two years. I bought it as a Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned with 29,000 miles on it and have put another 30,000 on it. My experience has been mixed. First the good. It is a superbly comfortable vehicle, particularly on long trips. We routinely drive four-and-a-half hours to a second home we own in Vermont and I finish the drive feeling less fatigued than in any other vehicle I've owned. The seats are very comfortable and supportive and at highway speeds the engine and transmission are very smooth and the ride is quiet and relaxing The sound system is good, the visibility is fine. As others have mentioned the fuel economy with the diesel engine is great for a large vehicle. I'll get between 24 and 27 mpg and the torque is very impressive. Although the engine is only rated at 200 horsepower, it has 400 ft lbs of torque and you get most of that at a very low rpm. This allows the truck to climb hills or pass other cars effortlessly, even when fully loaded. The tranny doesn't need to downshift or awkwardly hunt for a gear, the truck just goes. You really have to drive it for a while to appreciate it. Although the initial acceleration is a bit leisurely due to the turbo lag and low horsepower, once it gets rolling and that torque kicks in then getting onto a highway or passing is no problem at all. I also like the styling both exterior and interior and appreciate the electrically folding third row seats. After two GM trucks where I had to pull the third row seat out of the truck if I needed more storage and put it back in later, this was a real upgrade in convenience. Now the bad. This thing is in the shop for something or other literally every few months. It has been serviced since new at Mercedes dealerships and there has been no neglect of routine maintenance. Most of the issues were not serious or major things but still things that would cost a good buck to fix if not under warranty and a hassle to have to address. It's just that it's been constant. This past week was a biggie, the airmatic suspension pump and the front air shocks had to be replaced. That would have been a huge bill. No other car I've owned has had such a constant need for repairs. I'm not comforted by the one of the other reviewers need to put in a new transmission at 70K. Sadly, as much as I enjoy this truck we will be parting ways well before the CPO warranty runs out. A couple of post-scrips for those who own or considering this truck. First, the Bluetec fluidis actually called Diesel Exhaust Fluid. It's just distilled water and urea in solution. The truck takes 8 gallons every 10,000 miles. I've heard some dealerships charges $30 per gallon. You can get it at an auto parts store for $2 per gallon. The tank is in the back where the spare tire would be stored. Dump the stuff in before your service and just tell them you've got that covered. I don't know about you but I can find a better way to spend $200 than to just give it to Mercedes. Second, someone mentioned road/wind noise. It should be pretty quiet at highway speeds. It could be a drive line issue or tires. One other thing to keep in mind is that the cross-bars that mount on the roof rack increase the wind noise quite a bit. If it's wind noise you hear and it bothers you try removing the cross bars if you have them and use them only when you need them.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best SUV On the Market

by Appadito from Northern NY, Coastal NC on Fri Apr 15 2011

I have a GL320 Bluetec--best SUV on the market. This is my 5th mercedes and I cannot be happier with it. I get 26-32 mpg (combo hwy/town), the ride is smooth and have taken it on two cross-country road trips with full up load (teenagers, skis, stuff, college) and it wasn't cramped or rough. Had the vehicle up in the great white north and I can tell you, living on a ski hill will tell you a lot about the ability and agility of a vehicle in the nastiest conditions and the GL just handles it superbly. I've even had to use the vehicle lift during a flood and it forded the washed out road without issue. I felt like I was in a commercial. Has every option and comfort convenience known to mankind. My only woof about the vehicle is that after 1200 miles, the seats can be a little stiff (go figure) and the $500 oil change for the blue stuff is a bit much. The initial diesel lag is fleeting; once it pops, you are out in traffic and leaving them behind. I love my GL. You will have to pry it out of my wrinkled hands when I die.

Faith Restored

by Mercedes Fan from Washinton DC on Thu Feb 10 2011

I owned a C320 a few years ago and couldn't wait to get rid of that electronics nightmare. Everything failed to work on that vehicle. A few months ago I decided to give Mercedes one more chance. So I purchased a certified 2009 GL320 Bluetec just before we got hit with two major snow storms and it has been an unstoppable force. I love the muted diesel sound as it climbs the steep snow covered hills in my neighborhood. The diesel engine is so well mated with its seven speed transmission that I can go back and forth to work (30 miles one way) on one tank of diesel for two weeks! That is truly amazing considering the weight and size of this vehicle. It has all the bells and whistle that makes being stuck in traffic bearable.

1 2

Our Take on the 2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

With a 23-mpg diesel version now available in all 50 states, the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is a more viable option for SUV-needing families — though the appeal of a $60,000-plus four-wheeler seems limited in today's economy. Even if you are in the market, the GL remains a debatable choice: stylish on the outside and elegant within, but hamstrung by spotty reliability and a drivetrain as indecisive as the North Carolina electorate.

Still, that's more praise than I can give last year's model, whose review serves as the basis for this update; its dated navigation system was onerous to sort through, but it's been vastly improved for 2009. The SUV also gets more high-tech safety features, though they... Read More