2011 R-Class

2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Have you driven the 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class?

Black beauty

by Maniac_aek from Chicago on Fri Jan 07 2011

Before this 2011 r350 I had a 2006 r320 cdi and a 2009 r320 bluetec. Very reliable car from every single piont of view. The reason i am writing this is to ask people not to write bad things about the car before they own it. Too many smart behinds out there. Car is awsome.

All the utility of an SUV in a fine sedan

by T Carl from Scottsdale, AZ on Sat Mar 12 2011

I have had SUVs for years mostly to haul big items, my last being a Lexus LX-470. I was looking for something lower without sacrificing cargo space. The R350 was the perfect solution. It rides like a fine sedan due to its long wheel base, has all wheel drive which I like for weather conditions, and can haul a large piece of plywood if you have such a need. The seats are roomy and comfortable. Don't get hung up on these comments about what it is or isn't. To me it is like the perfect crossover, something that many car manufacturers don't make. The closest thing Lexus has is the RX which isn't even in the same league as the R350.

Very Happy

by Hockey Mom from Lake George, NY on Thu Mar 01 2012

I had a Saab wagon for 8 years and hated to give it up. Loved my Saab and had driven the brand for 18 years. I needed a third row, and wanted a vehicle that would perform, was safe and reliable. The R-class is a much heavier car than my Saab, bigger roomier, so I definitely gave up the zip and some maneuverability (sp?). But it fits 4 adults and 2 kids very comfortably. Or 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 hockey bags and luggage. It is AMAZING IN SNOW and handles very well. It is a beautiful, smooth ride wihih feels more like a car than some other SUVs, including the GL. Ultimately, this is why I picked the R over the GL, but they are difficult to find comparatively. Rear camera is wonderful, bluetooth works great, driver controls are excellent. I have been very happy with it and the only issue has been the width of the rear doors. I tend to park away from other vehicles when my kids are in the back seat.

What else do you want, and they quit making it!!!

by Hank the Tank from Alberta, Canada on Mon Apr 06 2015

Ok maybe it is not the most sexiest car on earth. But it drives so smooth on long trips. I never get out after 5 or more hours driving and feel like I am broken. It is the right height for me, SUV is too High and a sedan is too low. The bluetech diesel is nice and gives me with the Michelin Tires (summer) on 125km/h mostly better than 7.9/100. It is time that the German engineers will work on a successor of this excellent and comfortable workhorse on the highway. I own it now for almost 4 years, the only bad thing was a blown bellow and some oil leaking, all within warranty (extended). But I still like this car.

The minivan that isn't

by Rob790h from Brooklyn, NY on Mon Mar 20 2017

Just purchased, 2011 R350 model with 47K. Can't vouch for reliability yet. Clearly the 2006/7 models had some major issues but the 2011/2 gasoline models seem to have their act together. Apparently all the Bluetec diesels are engineering disasters - so stay away! My vehicle is a single owner with a clean CarFax. No apparent problems or repairs. An amazing value if you're comfortable rolling the dice on an off warranty, luxury vehicle. They simply don't make an equivalent today. It's a minivan without the van or stigma attached (yes, that matters to me - don't judge)! Last chance to find a low mileage version - not many produced so you better act fast.

AMAZING

by Mother of 3 from Naples, FL on Sat Aug 01 2015

This car was the best car I've ever owned. It had enough room for me, my husband, and our triplets and all of our stuff. It may not have been the best looking car, but it was definitely better than a minivan in style. Unfortunately, our car was totaled a year ago while we were taking a road trip to my native Kansas on the Interstate 75 heading north, with my whole family inside. We were T-Boned by a large pickup truck, but everyone in both cars was fine. If they continued making this car, we without a doubt would have repurchased it due to its ability to keep our family safe.

BIGEST NON-SUV ON THE ROAD

by TOMDIRECTM from Maryland on Mon Sep 10 2012

We have four boys 12-15yrs and needed interior room. THIS HAS IT! Also, its a beast on the open road. The Diesel is great on fuel and performance.

Real Comfort

by A Tall Mom from Woodbridge,VA on Sun Mar 01 2015

The first time I saw this car many years ago I was not a fan. It reminded me of a minivan, therefore I bought a Pilot. Fast forward several years, some fine tuning of the exterior, and my twins getting older, I love it. I'm 6'3 and my girls are tall as well. We take many road trips and need much leg room for comfort. This car by far exceeds my expectations. I love the smooth drive (not like a truck) and actually like the look of it now. Also, the understated power is a nice plus. I still have the Pilot, but my family says this is my "I'm to cool for a minivan" ride! The only downside is I wish it had better gas mileage.

You Can't Go Wrong

by Meng from Atlanta, GA on Tue Dec 23 2014

I purchased our R-350 almost a year ago and absolutely love it. It has been just what we needed as far as space for the kids and options. Rear headrest entertainment tops it off. It has a much underrated power that will surprise you in an open road. We are looking to upgrade to the 2012 model since they stop making it.

LOVE this car- so glad to own it!

by CityDriver from Buckhead, Georgia (Atlanta) on Mon Jul 16 2012

I have driven several types of SUVs and several luxury brand cars, such as Saab, Land Rover, Audi, Volvo. I definitely saved the best for last with my purchase of an R class Mercedes. I LOVE this car! I cannot say one negative thing about it. I love to dtive it, my family and friends love to ride in it- it has all the bells and whistles I love and some hidden surprises. Mercedes customer service cannot be beat. You get what you pay for, and this was worth every cent!

1 2

Our Take on the 2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

As family-haulers go, the Mercedes-Benz R350 Bluetec is a nice rig — perhaps too nice for the sippy-cup-and-Cheerios gang. Even though the R350 doesn't fit nicely into a defined category such as minivan, SUV or crossover, it's nonetheless a practical car for the high-earning, minivan-averse family.

The R350 caters to families with its roomy cabin, compliant ride and available convenience features, but it sacrifices some utility in the name of style.

I tested the diesel-powered R350 Bluetec, and a gas V-6 engine is also offered. The diesel version starts at $51,740, but options made the as-tested price balloon to around $67,000. The R-Class' price range overlaps two of Mercedes' SUVs: the five-seat... Read More