2004 S-Class

4.9 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.7 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

Luxury and Power at it's best

by S500 owner from Carlsbad, CA on April 8, 2012

I've own my 2004 S500 AMG Sport Package since 2007. It's really hard to describe the level of comfort, luxury and power in words, you do need to drive one to understand. I have tried to SPORT settings only a couple of times and let me tell you, there is no car out there in my opinion as strong and fast as this one. However, it's a Mercedes and it's the feeling you get, when you just cruising at low speeds, knowing, that at any time, for any reason from any speed, take off like a rocket. It's specially helpful, when passing slower cars or trucks, or when going on a freeway. This thing flies. On top of everything, it's extremely quiet and the factory sound system totally rocks. With any genre of music, the sound fills in all spaces, you hear only music and you don't have to blast it at all. That's how this car is quiet. People are also looking at you different way, haha. You pull in with this car in front of any store, office or whatever, you walk out of this car feeling like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator, even if you have 150 pounds. haha. Never had any problems, my visits to shop was only for scheduled maintenance and I've changed tires once. Love this car. Got 85K miles now and no sign of aging at all.

More than just Happy

by S600 Heaven from Los Angeles, CA on January 9, 2012

I searched for quite a while before finally finding this gem. There are only 20 to 25 of these vehicles in this year range on sale in the U.S. at any given time so they are quite exclusive. However surprisingly these vehicles that originally sold for between $130,000 to $160,000 when new are only selling for around $18,000 to $30,000 now with between 110k to 30k miles, respectively. Mine has the rare Everest Green exterior with cream interior with every option of which there weren't many since these S600's came pretty much fully loaded already. I was also fortunate that it only had a few very minor problems such as every once in a while the left front distance sensor will say there is something there when there is not. Easy fix. Also the trunk doesn't want to open all the time, another minor problem and probably easy fix. In researching for my new car I looked at all of the websites and cars.com is by far the best. Not only for the quality of the cars but also for the vast and powerful search tools.

my S500 AMG

by steves benz from north carolina on April 13, 2011

I've always wanted one of these. It's quiet, fast and comfortable. I would recommend this cat to anyone with the resources to buy one

What a car!

by carnut001 from The Woodlands Texas on January 8, 2009

Terrific automobile! I took a long trip in my 04 S430 and averaged 27.1 MPG! This was at speeds between 75-80 with the A/C on. I also have a 2002 Lexus LS430 and this car gets better mileage with more interior room. It has been as reliable so far as my Lexus.

King of the Road

by Driving Enthusiast from Virginia on December 24, 2010

Driving this (S500 4-matic) car is one of life's great experiences. Its solid structure, roominess, comfort and responsiveness is better than any other out there. While it is a pleasure to drive anywhere, longer trips is where this car truly shines. You are the king of the road traveling at 60-80 mph. And not bad at 23/24 mpg on highway travel (blended mpg is 17-18). The 04 body type (previous one to current) is also one that most people seem to prefer to the newer "chunky/bulbous" body type. My black with AMG appearance package turns heads and gets "nice ride" compliments all the time.

Excellent Performance Car

by Ideaman from Granville, OH on May 26, 2012

We have this car for the last 4.5 years and we have nothing but appreciation. We have use during heavy snow winter and we were able to go wherever we needed to go. Example we left home (central Ohio) with snow storm and we went to Urbana Champaign IL and it was over 330 mile along I-70 and it was snowing all the way and some places road was only one lane since other lane is covered with ice and snow. We were able to reach the place within seven hours and we got 23 mpg. Similarly we gone to north Michigan during the snow and road was not cleaned covered with snow over eight to ten inches still we able to reach the place with an average speed of approximately 60 mph. This car gives in a perfect condition 26 mpg on highway and 20 mpg in town. We love this car.

It will spoil you

by Big car driver from NC on March 5, 2012

The 1st MB I owned was a 1990 560SEL, and it hooked me. I just bought a 04 S500 4MATIC and I think I am in love. Don't tell my lady..lol. Everything about this car is amazing. You learn something more about it's capabilities every time you drive it. The only reason I gave it three stars for reliability is because I have only had the car for 2 mos. But if it runs like my 560, i'm sure it is a 5 star. As far as the gas mileage/price of gas goes...you can't complain because you know already.. that is if you've owned one already.

Dream Machine

by Benz Enthusiast from Ellicott City, MD on October 4, 2008

Beautiful car and with 4matic, it's a dream machine. Cannot ask for a better combination. Best car I have ever owned, and I have owned alot.

the best car ever

by fast car from new york ny on January 1, 2010

i love this car because it is fast number1 number2 it has a lot of features like esp control heated seats a GPS system air suspention and alot more but they are kinda expensive to fix like a tire or scraches but if you dont have kids to ruin it or if your kids are carfull then your fine

Great Car

by Bruce from Indiana on February 12, 2014

I purchased a 2004 S55 1.5 years ago with 114,000 miles. I have put around 12,000 miles on it. The car did need a couple things such as rear struts and the passenger seat SRS system. Yes, the parts were expensive (although not quite as bad as I originally assumed) but to my surprise they were very easy to replace (I do most of the maintenance myself) I have had no other problems occur during my ownership so far. The main reason I bought this car is interior space. I am 6'6" and have a 16 month old daughter. I wanted a car (not an SUV) that could comfortably fit a rear facing car seat and still be fun to drive. You really can't beat the price, safety, quality, roominess, and build quality of a used S-class.

1 2 3