2008 Mercedes Benz S Class

Mercedes is back in the game

by from california on January 19, 2008

Mercedes is back in the game with the s550. I was very disappointed with the s500 I traded in, with it's awful 7 speed trans and what I thought was poorer handling and comfort. But the s550 is one smooooooooth ride, and is incredibly roomy and comfortable. I am not a fan of the body styling, and the car is much bigger than the previous S class. Maybe a little too big, but the rear passengers will love it. The little gear shift handle on the steering column takes some getting used to, and Mercedes never seems to quite get it about the controls for mirrors and windows. Where is that famous German engineering ? But the voice control features are so much better, and the satellite radio, navigation and many other features are excellent. If you take long trips, this car is fabulous-- real comfort all around. If you are doing the vast majority of your driving in stop-and-go traffic, it's still a great ride, but this is a BIG car (by today's parking space sizes, anyway) and I don't like close-quarters maneuvering with it. I always get the feeling that it takes up all of the width of the driving lane. It is expensive, but if you want comfort, you should really check it out.

Turns Heads, but leaves something to be desired.

by from New York on June 6, 2014

I've owned many S class Mercedes over the past 25 years beginning with my first new Mercedes - a 1991 350SDL. Mercedes has certainly advanced over the years in many ways - power, handling, styling and speed. An S class is always sure-footed and predictable even in the tightest of corners. Its' front bucket seats with both heating and cooling elements are typically more comfortable than most living room seating. 4Matic was a welcome addition many years ago and it does not detract from its handling in the least. For those who care, gas mileage is spot on predictable regardless of how fast you drive, although it gets slightly better mileage at super low speeds. In short, you and three of your closest friends or family members can sit comfortably for hours without fidgeting. However, not all is good news with the S class. The electronics will take longer to learn than Mandarin Chinese - I leaned how to play a dvd movie on the navigation system before I could figure out how to set the clock. The S class has become big and bulky and can at times feel sluggish even with 384 horsepower. The car can be expensive to maintain, although it is worth every penny as it is more reliable than any family member. In short, if you can afford a new luxury car, or even a slightly used one, you will not regret purchasing an S class Mercedes. It is heads and shoulders among any of its competitors, including BMW, Porsche, Jaguar and even some more expensive brethren including Aston Martin. Good luck and enjoy - you only live once and it's a terribly short at that.

A luxury car that's a nightmare on service

by from El Paso, TX on June 13, 2007

What I like about this car is its luxury appointments and featurea. And I like the performance. What I don't like about this car is it has a Polarizing styling and it's seriously expensive. But still I would recommend it.

An expensive, hot car

by from Miami, FL on August 10, 2007

The only things I don't like about this car is it's SERIOUSLY expensive, and the styling is polarizing. But everything else is good! The perforemance, the features, everything!

The Best Luxury-Sedan I've Bought!

by from Scottsdale, Arizona on July 21, 2008

I was in the market for a bigger luxury sedan and came down to the BMW 750Li, Lexus LS460, and the Mercedes S550. Since the dealerships are all lined up on Scottsdale road, I tested all the vehicles in the same day. I test drove all three and the BMW had the legenday performance and great interior qualities. I did not choose the BMW because it had a rough ride, and lack of high luxury. I tested the Lexus LS460 next, and it was like riding a cloud. A very nice ride and nice luxury but it was just too smooth. Feels like I wasn't driving a car. Than I tested the 2008 Mercedes S550, and it was the best of both worlds. I felt that the Mercedes was a solid car, with great performance and luxury. It did not sacrifice ride feel for performance, and had plenty of interior space. After I tested the Mercedes, It was the right choice and I chose the Mercedes and am very happy with my choice. Its an excellent car and no wonder its the number 1 chosen govermental car by more than 90% of the worlds goverment. Excellent car!

Best Large Sedan Out There

by from Omaha Nebraska on July 3, 2014

I bought the car new when I got an unexpected bonus. I had been looking at BMW 750, but it didn't have 4 wheel drive which I needed. Also looked at the Audi, which was quite nice, but in the end I decided to pay the extra money and get my "dream car". I haven't been disappointed. Ride, luxury, handling, road noise and comfort are all as good as it gets. It is a little confusing getting used to all the controls, but once set, everything works fine. It handles better than expected for such a large vehicle and the turning radius is very good. The main negatives are the relatively high initial cost. Make sure you have good tires and it will handle really well. The 4 matic is really good as it easily handles snow with any decent set of tires. I recommend using 4 snow tires even with the 4 wheel drive if you live in snow country. The seven speed transmission is just wonderful. My only regret is that I couldn't afford the s63 upgrade with the turbocharged engine. 385 horsepower is pretty good for most cars, but for this particularly heavy sedan, a little more would have been nice. The new ones are very similar, have turbocharged engines and are up to 425 horsepower which is definitely noticeable, but to save alot of money, get this car. You'll love it.

get in if you can

by from Baltimore, MD on November 22, 2010

I purchased the S63, after owning the CLS55. Once you've owned an AMG, it hard purchasing anything less. The S63 is well built and full of power. Frequent stops at the gas station is worth driving ever gallon to empty. The price of this machine is hefty, but you don't have to see others driving ypu twin vehicle everyday (or every week for that matter). Am I glad to have this vehicle, you darn skippy.

Most comfortable car I've driven

by from Boston on December 20, 2011

I had a BMW 750LI previously and this is a better car. The BMW handled better in the turns, but that's the only area where the S-Class gets a lower grade.

Best bang for $ ever

by from Nashville on March 4, 2011

We got a great value, <3,000 miles 2008 top of the line, ~57% of original cost. My wife's favorite car ever.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by from New York, NY on July 20, 2007

i love this car. i got the s65 and it sound like a monster and drives like a plane on the ground . greatest car i ever owned. andiv owned 4 ferraris in the past

Similar Models