2003 Mercedes Benz Sl Class

interesting toy

by from Toronto Can on March 15, 2011

As my nick name suggests, I'm into Porsche, but find that they don't answer all my needs. When a little restraint is called for or a business presence id required I always drive an SL and have for years. The SL 55 that I bought used three years ago is far and away the fastest Benz I've had. Finally some real performance in a gorgeous body. Best to have a friendly mechanic that knows these cars though as they can get expensive on repairs. Struts being a problem. About 7,000 in repairs and maintenance over three years, plus cost of tires . Not great with twenty inch rims as rubs tread on bumps. Bad in potholes and rough surfaces. Easy cruiser that you seem to drive as though born in it. Don't expect all the gizmos to work for very long. Tire pressure always on, seat controls like vibrate etc. never seems to work. Nav system sucks but always end the drive with a smile.

Very Nice

by from Colorado Springs on April 2, 2014

I have the 2003 SL 55 AMG with just over 50k miles. Its funny how some reviews of the SL 55 AMG have numerous problems and some seem to have very few or no problems. I'm one of the lads who has had nothing but a great experience after my first 15 months in. This car is a joy to drive. It gets a ton of heads turning. The only issue I have had was changing the tires and rims and the TPMS had an issue resetting. The Mercedes Dealer wanted $1,500 for new sensors installed. So, I purchased a manual gauge at O'Reillys and take career of it that way. Although, I check every week, I have never lost any pressure. The best way is to do a visual of your tires anyway. Great fun. Wonderful ride for short jaunts and long drives.

Experimenting with a 2003 SL500

by from Dallas,TX on March 26, 2014

Bought an eleven year old low mileage 2003 SL500, so far only two malfunctioned lights have come on (brakes and electricity off line, and the a/c does not seem to work.)

Love the Ride and the Look

by from Joplin,Mo on December 19, 2011

This is the second Mercedes Benz SL500 that I have owned. My first one got crunched in the Joplin tornado, but I knew I had to have another. The performance, reliability and ride are like no other. Big thumbs up.

Beautiful car, but anticipate issues

by from NY on May 24, 2017

Four years ago, I bought a 2003 with 27,000 miles on it. I really like the color combination of Aegean Blue exterior and teal leather interior. And I'm very happy that I purchased an extended warranty! So far, the repairs total over $12,000. Suspension issues, battery charging issues, hydraulics for the top issues, rear main seal leak, etc. continue - all from driving the car about 2000 miles a year. But with the top down on a beautiful day, I tend to forget all of the negatives. It really is a wonderful car to drive, but it's also expensive to own.

All I can ever say is WOW!

by from Long Island NY on July 21, 2012

This is such an amazing piece of auto engineering. If you want a sports car feel in the ultimate luxury then this is the car for you. Yes, you will pay a steep price but it is worth every penny and then some. You have to drive it to know for sure.

A great car buy!

by from Houston, TX. on February 1, 2012

After months of looking cars.com got me in touch with a seller in Fortworth TX. On the internet it was a beauty. When I got to see and drive it it was everything I had hoped. The body was flawless. It drove well and it had every option you could want in a luxury sports car. The leather was in good shape and the mileage was low (54,000)for the age. Car.com you came through for me!

BEST CAR EVER

by from staten island, ny on June 27, 2012

Never owned a nicer, cooler, most comfortable car ever. The convertible option works great. Drives amazingly. Best handling. Looks gorgeous.

a dream

by from Alamogordo, NM on October 10, 2012

wunderfull car for people with money in backround. every ride you have a big smile. enjoy it! The engine is perfect, handling perfect. My next car will be also a SL.

Beautiful car but comes with a cost..

by from dc on April 24, 2017

The SL, S and Cl models of Mercedes come with whats called ABC hydraulic suspension that becomes very costly to fix. Between the pump, accumulators, valve blocks, ABC lines and other complex systems, you're looking at $1500+ each time you encounter an ABC issue. And thats hoping is something simple like an accumulator or a simple ABC flush. If the pump or struts go, you're looking at $3000+. Now, if you know a good indy mechanic you can probably get things fixed for half the cost considering most of the parts are now available on Ebay for cheap. They also have a coilover conversion kit to change your struts from ABC to regular springs and do away with ABC forever. I know quite a few people who did this and are happy with the ride etc...The car is fantastic and you'll have your wear and tear items that you will need to repair but the suspension has always been the main issue. These cars have become cheaper and cheaper over the years but most people forget the cost of ownership.

Our Expert Review: 2003 Mercedes Benz Sl Class