3.8
Average based on 20 reviews

2003 model is a money pit

by from new jersey on June 8, 2011

The sl period in 2003 was a money pit. Issues with struts, the active body control pump ,transmission and motor mount problems and the motor for convertable goes. The Navigation is terrible. Yes the car is wonderful to drive and actually was surprised it was not a bumpy ride. It has power and can handle as good as a car can handle. I still feel today it is one of the prettiest cars on the road and you will get head turns.. If you want the sl 500 please buy 2004 and higher. The 2003 was the first model and you will run the risk of putting major dollars in to fix it.. Strut alone is $900, ABC Pump is $1400, the entire Abc system $4000. I recommend buying sl55 if you have the money..Stronger engine ..I also recommend paying for extended warranty for 3 years. Full coverage will cost you $2000 for all 3 years

Flawed

by from Naples, Florida on November 16, 2011

I purchased my SL55 2003 four years ago with 20k miles recorded and that was the time I became totally disillusioned with M.B. reliability. With the exception of the engine and body the car has been a living nightmare and money pit. I would not be exaggerating if that car had cost more than the value of it in repairs when I eventually sold it for under $5k of Trade in Book value with a modest 45,000 recorded miles. M.B. needs a lesson from the Japanese in electronics as their quality control is a disgrace to the automobile industry. The SL55 is a stunning performer (when not in the garage) and the exhaust note under throttle is captivating. Never buy the first model of a new production and I learned the hard way.

interesting toy

by from Toronto Can on March 15, 2011

As my nick name suggests, I'm into Porsche, but find that they don't answer all my needs. When a little restraint is called for or a business presence id required I always drive an SL and have for years. The SL 55 that I bought used three years ago is far and away the fastest Benz I've had. Finally some real performance in a gorgeous body. Best to have a friendly mechanic that knows these cars though as they can get expensive on repairs. Struts being a problem. About 7,000 in repairs and maintenance over three years, plus cost of tires . Not great with twenty inch rims as rubs tread on bumps. Bad in potholes and rough surfaces. Easy cruiser that you seem to drive as though born in it. Don't expect all the gizmos to work for very long. Tire pressure always on, seat controls like vibrate etc. never seems to work. Nav system sucks but always end the drive with a smile.

Love the Ride and the Look

by from Joplin,Mo on December 19, 2011

This is the second Mercedes Benz SL500 that I have owned. My first one got crunched in the Joplin tornado, but I knew I had to have another. The performance, reliability and ride are like no other. Big thumbs up.

All I can ever say is WOW!

by from Long Island NY on July 21, 2012

This is such an amazing piece of auto engineering. If you want a sports car feel in the ultimate luxury then this is the car for you. Yes, you will pay a steep price but it is worth every penny and then some. You have to drive it to know for sure.

Very Nice

by from Colorado Springs on April 2, 2014

I have the 2003 SL 55 AMG with just over 50k miles. Its funny how some reviews of the SL 55 AMG have numerous problems and some seem to have very few or no problems. I'm one of the lads who has had nothing but a great experience after my first 15 months in. This car is a joy to drive. It gets a ton of heads turning. The only issue I have had was changing the tires and rims and the TPMS had an issue resetting. The Mercedes Dealer wanted $1,500 for new sensors installed. So, I purchased a manual gauge at O'Reillys and take career of it that way. Although, I check every week, I have never lost any pressure. The best way is to do a visual of your tires anyway. Great fun. Wonderful ride for short jaunts and long drives.

BEST CAR EVER

by from staten island, ny on June 27, 2012

Never owned a nicer, cooler, most comfortable car ever. The convertible option works great. Drives amazingly. Best handling. Looks gorgeous.

A great car buy!

by from Houston, TX. on February 1, 2012

After months of looking cars.com got me in touch with a seller in Fortworth TX. On the internet it was a beauty. When I got to see and drive it it was everything I had hoped. The body was flawless. It drove well and it had every option you could want in a luxury sports car. The leather was in good shape and the mileage was low (54,000)for the age. Car.com you came through for me!

a dream

by from Alamogordo, NM on October 10, 2012

wunderfull car for people with money in backround. every ride you have a big smile. enjoy it! The engine is perfect, handling perfect. My next car will be also a SL.

Experimenting with a 2003 SL500

by from Dallas,TX on March 26, 2014

Bought an eleven year old low mileage 2003 SL500, so far only two malfunctioned lights have come on (brakes and electricity off line, and the a/c does not seem to work.)