Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 SL-Class

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Have You Driven the 2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class?

Excellent car for the price!

by ricordura from South Pasadena, CA on Thu Apr 13 2017

I looked for weeks to find the SL55 that I wanted, and when I finally found it, I pounced! No regrets as it is an excellent car and real head-turner!

Fast, Fun & Eye catching

by Misty from Beverly Hills on Sat Dec 13 2008

I love this car! Responsive sports car, quieter than a Porsche, Lamborghini---and more fun! Top goes into trunk in seconds, sound system perfect, only thing I don't care for is my water bottle is in an inconvenient holding spot. This car has guts when needed. Great second car--Trunk space is minimal.

SL poor reliabilty

by SL from Indianapolis IN on Mon Dec 19 2011

We have an 08 sl 550 and 07 sl 55 AMG; nice to look and and drive, but wife stranded with bad starter one time and bad power steering pump on warranty and another plus electronics problem off warranty on 35,000 mile 08. The 07 has had minor trim breakage. Annoying, but fun to drive.

Great Car for a 2-seater

by C.D. from Montgomery, AL on Thu Feb 03 2011

Bought this used 08 SL550 for my wife's birthday and she loves the Diamond Silver color and Sandwood interior. The interior takes a little getting used to the tight fit if you're an extremely tall/large person but it's not bad getting in and out. Interior design is luxurious and the car has plenty of get up and go. Seats are very comfortable and has heated/cooled/pulsating controls. Convertible hardtop works like something from the space age and the trunk is a little small if you're trying to take big suitcases. Great car for my wife to drive to work daily. Took it in to my local MB dealer and surprisingly the maintenance cost was no more than my CLK or ML350. Added bluetooth car phone adaptor and keyless start. There was some minor tweaking of the engine (something with the vavles) but car is still under warranty and it was free. Overall great car and eye-catcher!!!

Floating on an Alpha Wave

by vitagvuy from Cherry Hill, NJ on Fri May 18 2012

Always wanted a Black Mercedes SL. Traded in my '98 Vette that my wife hated for this Mercedes certified SL which were both fell in love with at first sight. The Vette I had and it helped me to land my wife to be many years earlier. This car gives you everything you could ever want in a two seat luxury sports car convertible. We get thumbs up where ever we go...big smiles and "nice car" from everyone we meet. For us its only for driving on special occasions that merit prestigious entrance or driving around our summer vacation home. We cannot recommend this car enough.

2008 SL Mercedes

by tony from Maryland on Thu May 23 2013

The car is gorgeous! The car performance is awesome. I love this vehicle. The Benze is a sport car but the ride is as smooth as almost any luxury car.

Awesome 2nd one

by Bear from Texas on Mon Feb 13 2012

Beautiful car, fun to drive. Incredible looks!!! A great value. Buy it a couple of years old and save$$$

Sporty and Fun

by Car Dreamer from on Sun Jan 23 2011

At first I thought this car was unrealistic, but now I think it is the best sporty convertible out there. It's smooth, stylish, comfortable and remarkably good on gas mileage. I will always be a Mercedes girl now, because of this car.

SL55 AMG is Powerful, Exciting and Glamorous

by AceofLosAngeles from Los Angeles, Ca on Mon Jun 05 2017

This MB SL55 AMG is one of the most powerful, exciting vehicles I've ever owned. The performance is unbelievably good. I've timed my own full-bore start and got to 60 in 4.5 seconds. Handling is easily better than both a BMW M6 and a Porsche 911 Turbo S.(I've road tested both) Obviously, the retractable hardtop is the biggest party piece of the SL and it works beautifully in about 22 seconds. The interior is very well done and the Mercedes trademark massaging seats works wonderfully. But after a long distance trip, you will feel it for the ride is very firm. Fuel economy is not as bad as expected for a 500 horsepower V8. Expect like 15 city and 19 highway. Bravo Mercedes-AMG. Overall I would recommend this vehicle to all who have the ability to own one. This vehicle is beautiful, fun to drive, powerful, handles well and is a real nice overall sports car. The electric top makes this a real gem.

Our Take on the 2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Editor's note: This review was written in December 2006 about the 2007 Mercedes-Benz SL550. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what details are different this year, check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

You've seen the ads — the ones where the happy couple runs outside to find a luxury car with a bow on top in their driveway. While I'm not holding my breath waiting to find a set of keys to a Mercedes-Benz SL550 under the tree this year, maybe you are. If that's the case, you'll be among the fortunate few who possess one of these retractable-hardtop roadsters. It's an amazing car in many ways, and one we were sad to see leave the Cars.com garage.

Exterior... Read More