1995 Cougar

1995 Mercury Cougar

1995 Mercury Cougar

4.5

Have You Driven the 1995 Mercury Cougar?

1995 Cougar XR7, "THE LAST AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR"

by Shane from Franklin,TN on Sat Dec 05 2015

The best years of my life were spent behind the wheel of my 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, 4.6L V8... I drove the car problem free from the time I was 20 until about 32. They are easy to maintain, a blast to drive, comfortable. As long as the gasoline prices don't soar, try to get a hold of a V8.

Last Year for Great Cougars

by Cougar fan from Phoenix, AZ on Fri Sep 17 2010

Handles and rides like a much more expensive car. More metal than plastic gives a driver confidence in crowded traffic situations. Very nice interior.

best car i ever ownedI

by Cindy the Artist Formerly Known As CCynBolyNN from St. Petersburg, FL on Tue Dec 14 2010

I purchased a 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 with every option for 23,000.00 in 1996. It was pre-owned but simply cherry. This car gave me no problems for the entire 7 years I owned it. I would recommend this car to everyone who wants a dependable, good looking, fun to drive car that stops on a dime and is so easy to drive. And beautiful.

Cougar cruiser

by Cougar cruiser from Montana on Thu Oct 18 2012

I bought my 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 new -- Opalescent White Paint, what a beautiful car. Terrible to drive on snow....... A dream car on the open dry road!! Felt like I was in the cockpit - while driving this car. Everything is geared towards the driver. Fantastic. Truly miss this beauty!

Eleven Years Speaks Volumes

by Gwenivere 95XR7 from New York, NY on Wed Dec 26 2012

I bought my 95 XR7 in 2001 for about $9k, and I definitely got my money's worth from her. Great styling, even now when she looks a little aged, super comfortable ride and interior, and some of the best road performance I've had in a car. I got the 4.6 V8 SOHC with a 4 sp auto w/ OD. She came with a remote for the locks and trunk, as well as a keyless entry numberpad. She averages over 20 MPG on long open road trips and around 18-19 MPG in every day local stop-n-go driving. I've done some work on her, including rebuilding the transmission about 3 years ago, and she's had a few bumps and other problems with age. But she's a solid car and I really feel like she doesn't owe me anything at this point. I've gotten over 130k miles out of her in these past 11 years, including driving from NY to DC more times than I can count in the past 5 years alone, and I definitely can't complain. I have a full leather interior with power front seats (four way slider, front and back up and down, and inflatable lumbar on both front buckets) and cruise control. I added an after market stereo and CD changer and alarm with remote start. She took the changes in stride and was really easy to open up and close again. A few sensors in the engine are hard to reach and will cost a lot to repair, but the car runs well even without them working fully. She's a tight-packed engine, taking up the entire compartment the monster I've got, but the power I get out of her is the best. Careful on snow and ice, and make sure you spend the money on good tires with excellent tread. I had a bad set of tires on my drive wheels and had a couple of spins, but they were the only tires I had a problem with. She's been steady with everything else. When it finally comes time to move on and find another vehicle, I'm definitely going to miss her. If you're looking for a good used car and can get your hands on one of these, take it. I'd buy another one if I could.

Very nice 2-door coupe

by Geddy from Des Plaines on Sun Mar 16 2014

I bought my used 1995 Mercury Cougar with only 46k miles in 2014. I previously owned a 1996 Ford Thunderbird that I owned for 18 years and served me well. I fell in love with the style and luxury of these Cougars and Birds which why I purchased the Cougar. The suspension and ride is very smooth. It is a joy to drive long distances since the comfort level is grade "A". These cars were built pretty strong, none of that cheap plastic you seen in the newer cars today. Overall, a nice car to own.

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 V8 4.6 Litre Engine

by Chickslovecars2 from Virginia Beach on Thu Mar 16 2017

I LOVE this car! I have had it for 17 years. I also have a great little Saab. I love both, but if my husband made me choose one, I would keep the Mercury. Once upon a time, he did his best to coerce me into letting the Mercury go. He eventually wore me down and I agreed to let her go. Within an hour, I became so upset I ended up doing "The Ugly Cry Face". Snott, tears, red face and hiccups. That was several years ago. I still have it, and he never says a word against my "baby". Heh! Heh! This car has NEVER let me down. Ever. Her exterior is almost as shiny today as it was brand new. I replaced the headliner and carpet a few years ago. That is it. Everything else we have done is routine maintenance.

best car i"ve ever owned

by cougar girl from Little River S.C. on Mon Jan 07 2013

I have owned 4 cougars, starting with a 1972 model, ending with a 1995 model that I still have and with only 72000 original miles on it. The only problem with cougars is the paint on the trim and bumpers, all peel. I had this car installed with a moon/sun roof and after 14 years, the headliner is falling down. Car runs like a top, and is a V8. This is a heavy car, so I feel very protected when the door shuts, and the ride is very quiet. I wish that Mercury would bring back this style because it was the perfect mid-size car for women, plus very sporty and stylish.

Love this car

by Ladymojo from Palmer,tx on Sun Jul 23 2017

I now own two .that should tell you something I bought one in 96 and just bought my second with 67k original miles

Solid Car

by asilver1 on Sat Aug 18 2018

I am not a car expert, but I have driven this car for a month so far. It gets about 25 mpg, it hugs the road well so I feel in control while driving, and overall does the job of getting me around.

1 2