2001 Cougar

2001 Mercury Cougar

2001 Mercury Cougar

3.4

Have you driven the 2001 Mercury Cougar?

'01 Cougar ZN

by 01c0ugarZN from Edmond, OK on Thu Aug 11 2011

I want to start off by saying that my car was totalled in May of 2011. Shortly after, I began shopping for a new car to replace the Cougar. Shortly after THAT, I came to the conclusion that there is no car for less than say, $6,000 that I can think of to successfully replace it. The car itself was great. My 2001 was a ZN, it had almost all factory options. The car itself is quite comfortable. I had the 17" premium wheels with 50 profile tires, the car was agile and sporty. Hardly ever lost traction when taking quick corners. The features were great, the leather seats, etc. stood up to wear and tear very well. Nice factory audio with 6 cd player, and just a pleasant vehicle to be in. Really suited for someone who needs a more practical fun car to drive. Most would say the back seat is not fit for humans, but, compared to my friends 2001 Ford Mustang, my back seat was actually more spacious, and comfortable(for me at least, Im 6"1'). The front though is very well suited for taller individuals. Fuel economy was decent. Light footed I can average around 18.5 mpg of 100% city on 87 octane. Highway around 27 - 28. The only thing I dont really like about this car, and I am QUITE picky, is the transmission. I had my automatic rebuilt(like most cougar owners) at 145K miles. The shifts are now sub par and it takes quite a long time to warm up and shift softly. Overall, A fantastic car to own and drive every day. If you are looking for something sporty, that you wont have to sacrifice economy and practicality to own, this is the car for you!. Although I still recommend the 5 speed transmission. Hope you found this review helpful :)

Good Car for New Driver

by Kool-Kid from on Sat Sep 18 2010

My sister got this car used when I was in the first or second grade. Today this car has 146k miles on it and is still a reliable car. She has recently given it to me and my brother as we are about to turn 16. It has never had any major problems or things that need to be repaired. It would be a great car for teenage girl, it just isn't really a guy car, but it is pretty reliable and great starter car for a new driver.

Teenage Daughter's Car

by Cougar Owner from Rock Hill, SC on Sat Feb 19 2011

We bought the Cougar used and it has been very reliable and only needed routine maintenance. It is still in excellent shape and she has really enjoyed driving it.

We Let the Cat out of the Bag This Time.

by BradZnavy from Virginia Beach, VA on Mon Sep 10 2007

My mom had a 2001 Cougar that was custom from the factory. It had everything but the sunroof. Either way it was a looker. It had these awesome looking chrome rims with the Cougar emblem, it had a four disk CD changer in the trunk and a cool overall design. Unfortunately my mom's Cat got clipped on the side one day while she was on her way to work. The repairs never made it exactly right again. The center console would vibrate. Then my folks moved to a town that was a further drive for my mom. So they traded it off for a new Taurus. I know that my mom still misses that car. It was gorgeous and it was immaculate.

Wonderful car that continues to impress

by Workin' it from Central New Jersey on Thu Jun 05 2008

This has been a wonderful car to own. I average @34 miles to the gal. I have averaged 38 mpg on a trip to Ohio from NJ cruising 75 mph. This car has a 4 cyl. 5-speed manual trans. The seats are average at best. I will be having them done over with better foam and leather. This why I lowered the comfort rating. I bought it as a Quality Checked certified car. The quality of the interior vinyl is not what you find today. I am in the process of turning it into a tuner car for my son. It has 112,000 miles on it and has never let me down. It has had regular service and nothing else. As a hatchback, it offers great flexibility for carrying stuff.

Best Buy I've Ever Made

by Cougar Fan from Arizona on Thu Dec 07 2006

Bought this car previously owned and its exceeded my expectations. Everywhere I go people constantly comment on how beautiful the car is. In addition to the sporty design inside and out, the cars overall performance has been great too.

Owned one for 7 years - 2001, 2.0, manual trans.

by Mike from Fargo, ND on Fri Mar 21 2014

There problems with this car - most of them minor and user-servicable: water pump, thermostat housing, ball joints, timing belt. Wear & tear stuff. I bought the car with 130,000 miles on it, so I expected to put some money into it. While the ride was choppy at times (sport suspension), the car handled beautifully at speed. And I loved the exterior design! Very unique and it turned heads. The interior was snug, though relatively quiet. The 5-speed was tight and accurate. Despite only 125hp, it could reach passing speeds with minimal effort. I loved this car. If you're in the market for one, avoid the highly problematic 6 cylinder/auto trans combo. While the 2.0 won't win any races, It's an extremely reliable and fuel efficient motor. Just traded mine towards a '11 Mazda 6. While I know it was the right decision, I really, really miss my '01 Cougar. Gorgeous car.

Fantastic Car

by Car Nut from Roseville, Mi. on Mon May 16 2011

Bought a used one and never made a better deal in my life. Car is comfortable, easy to see out of and rides well. Strong brakes, fast, and corners great. Oh yes, just got 31+ mpg on trip up to Caseville.

Worst car I've ever had

by Burned Motorist from Noblesville, IN on Thu Jan 26 2012

I've had six cars and this car is by far the worst I've had. I have had to put sooo much money into it's not even funny. Cadilidic converter, starter, thermostat, bulbs are constantly blowing. And it's actaully broke down right now and I don't know whats wrong with it. NEVER, EVER GET THIS CAR. The worst part is everytime it has broken down it has cost me extra to have it fixed because they no longer make the parts for this car.

Does not recommend this car!!

Most Unreliable Car I've Ever Owned

by I hate Cougars from Canada on Tue Oct 23 2007

This car had one problem after the other. Its a 2001 and unfortunately, I didn't even get 100,000kms out of this car, because it had severe problems with the transmission and it was deemed not worth the money to fix it. (Not to mention problems with the brakes, and electrical features- such as speakers, CD player, air conditioning,etc.) This car cost me big time!

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Mercury Cougar

Maybe it was the paint job that did it.

My eyes had barely adjusted to the glow-in-the-dark "Zinc Yellow" of our 2001 Mercury Cougar Special Edition Zn by the time my right foot stomped and my heart sank.

Meow.

Sorry, Cougar, your growl is worse than your bite.

Where was the oomph of the upgraded V6 engine? Where was the "fun to drive" factor Mercury bragged about? And where was the bounce in a new, improved cat that promised to steal you away from all the other sport coupes?

Redesigned, repackaged and relabeled with fancy names on special edition models, this year's Mercury Cougar is an animal without the moxie. From the inside-out, it's a stunner, to be sure - "It says ... here I... Read More