Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2004 Monterey

2004 Mercury Monterey

2004 Mercury Monterey

3.8

Have You Driven the 2004 Mercury Monterey?

Nice van, that came very well equipped.

by Mister Ed from Denver, Colorado on Thu Apr 14 2011

I bought my 2004 Monterey used. I was going to buy a new van but somebody traded this van in at a Toyota dealer with 3K miles on it! When taking delivery, even their salesman was impressed with the features (memory seats & mirrors, auto temperature zones, heated AND cooled seats, etc.) on this edition. For this purchase I wanted to consider every van I could: I didn't buy the GM vans at the time because I am tall and their sun visors were too low and impeded my vision plus their somewhat makeshift third row seats took away 4 inches from the deck height. My brother has a Honda van and he went through a broken strut and a failed starter motor in a few months so I wasn't too impressed. I had owned two Chrysler vans previously and while OK, I did have to do a 60K mile tranny replacement on one, and besides, I felt the ride and handling on this Monterey to be more solid and quiet. When looking at the Sienna (that is why I was at the Toyota dealer) it had a nice interior but I sliced my finger on some sharp metal trying to adjust the third row seat and that turned me off of them. I had the band-aid on it while I drove this van home. The 4.2 engine has confident power in every range from take-off to freeway speeds with more in reserve. The transmission, while a basic 4 speed, shifts smooth and quiet. It easily tows my utility trailer but I added Air Lift air bags to keep the back end level for the trailer. The front seats are, in particular, worth mentioning; I am a big guy and these are solid, comfortable, supportive and the leather still looks very good. After putting 55K miles on it I've had no major mechanical or electrical failures, just one bad tire pressure sensor. The interior materials, the dashboard, door panels, carpets, etc, are all wearing very well. WISH LIST: Like everyone, I'd like better gas mileage...I get 15-16 in town and max out at 20 on highway, but I usually carry 300lbs+ of additional items in this vehicle for my work. Also, while the engine runs very well, it is a mature design and it sounds quite coarse compared to my wife's Buick Northstar V8. I can't imagine how nice this van would be updated with the Ford 3.5 Duratec and 6 speed auto. With 3-5 more MPG and a slightly modernized interior look, it might have still been a contender!

Best overall van we have ever owned

by Kid hauler from Dallas, TX on Tue Jun 10 2008

Bought this brand new in 2004 fully loaded and still loving it. Love everything about it, styling , handling, performance. It has almost 75000 miles on it and have yet to have a problem with it. I would highly recommend this van. Creature features galore and easy on the pocket book. Take one for a test drive and you will buy it.

best van EVER owned

by AWESOME VAN from DALLAS, tx on Thu Oct 13 2011

Bought the 2004 Monterey Premiere AWD brand new off the lot, fully loaded. I absolutely love all the creature features that you usually find on more expensive luxury vehicles and definitely not on other vans out there. The seats are extremely comfortable as my husband has a bad back, but can travel in this van in total comfort even on long trips. This has the trizone air (driver, passenger, rear controls) so everyone can be comfortable at the same time. I love the fact that the rear seat folds flat completely in the floor for more cargo space. Also, it doesn't take a very strong person to be able to fold the rear seat into the floor. It has what I consider to be a classy style and a very comfortable ride. We get compliments on it all the time. We now have over 150,000 miles and have not had any problems out of it. Just normal maintenance like battery, tires, fluid changes. Other than that it is built solid and in our opinion to last a very long time. We have owned other minivans, but NONE compare to this one by far. I would HIGHLY recommend this van to families searching for room, comfort and all the extras at a reasonable price. Too bad Mercury doesn't make this one anymore as I would DEFINITELY buy a new one, but would keep the old one till I cannot drive it anymore. Way to go Mercury on a job well done. LOVE IT!!!!!

Nicest car ever driven

by jiggles86 from Houston, Texas on Mon Jun 25 2007

I test drove this car and feel absolutely in love with it. My daughter hates being in the car and she loved it. I recommend this to everyone.

drive it .. and your hooked

by vanalisious from OHIO on Mon Sep 18 2006

I own the 2004 Monterey. The Van is awesome...need I say more. I knew I was going to buy it as soon as I climbed behind the wheel. I had test driven the Honda Oddezzy beforehand and it didn't even come close to the Monterey as far as I am concerned. more comfortable, great handleing for a van I just love it...I have it for almost 2 years now..just love to take the family on these nice long Sunday drives

Family Fun

by Donald from Cleves, OH on Wed Jul 13 2016

Purchased this vehicle used in 2008 with 69K on it. Our family has since been everywhere is this vehicle putting over 110K miles on this this van. It rides beautifully and has comfortable seating. We have been thorough on the maitenance and have had no problems with the exception of the ac once or twice. If you want a reliable family hauler this one gets the job done!

Comfort & luxury

by guitarpeople from Coshocton, OH on Tue Sep 19 2006

This van is amazing, for a Murcury, the older modles aren't pretty. The 05 almost looks like an SUV. very comfortable and luxurious for a reasonable price. The saftey is a plus gives me peace of mind when you have children. cannot compare with another

Most undependable car

by angelwise from Little Rock, AR on Tue Sep 12 2006

Purchased a new minivan for safty and reliablity. I've been stranded 4 times so far. First time they replaced the fuel pump. The second time the entire fuel system. The third time they had to replace the entire engine (this is at 19,000 miles). Now it is in the shop to get the transmission replaced (50,000 miles).

Does not recommend this car!!

Very reliable van with tons of space, storage and

by Justin from Northampton pa on Mon Feb 26 2018

This van has been great. Has tons of space, storage and power. Tons of options for the year. The stow and go third row is a great feature.

Mixed Feelings

by Monsoon Mike from North Eastern, PA on Sun Mar 01 2009

Gorgeous, stylish minivan. Nicest around. But reading reviews from folks with the 2004 Freestar (sister of the Monterey) really scare me. I haven't had as many problems as some folks have had, yet I have already had two problems since buying it used at 50,500 miles and another new problem that just cropped up. Already had to have cruise control repaired (dealer paid for that since I had just bought it). Then it started lurching while driving. That was a bad cam sensor which cost me a couple hundred bucks (dealer argued against paying the whole cost but finally split the cost with me). Now it sometimes sputters and coughs when starting, but once given some gas, is ok. Otherwise, I do really like the van. It's a love/hate relationship. Looks very classy and luxurious, but I'm nervous about how reliable it's going to be for me in the long run.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2004 Mercury Monterey

Minivan shoppers used to have a real choice between Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships -- the standard-size Ford Windstar or the more petite Mercury Villager, which shared its underpinnings and most of its sheet metal with the old Nissan Quest.

After the Mercury-Nissan partnership dissolved, the Japanese automaker created a larger, more radical update of the Quest, rolling out its edgy design earlier this year. Mercury took exactly the opposite tack, borrowing heavily from the face-lifted Ford Windstar -- rechristened Freestar for 2004 -- as it launched a brand-new and relatively conservative offering, the 2004 Monterey.

We recently tested a well-equipped Monterey Premier, priced at... Read More