2002 Mountaineer

$470 - $7,922  MSRP Range
2002 Mercury Mountaineer

3.7

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer?

Best Suv Ever

by Car Lover from New York, NY on Tue Jul 09 2013

I bought my 2002 mountaineer in 04 and i loved it ever since. With only 25,000 miles on it this truck it checked off everything that i was looking for in a midsize suv. Its spacious, comfortable, reliable and my family loves it as well especially when it comes to long distance driving this truck will get you where you need to be in the most comfortable way. With 160,000 miles on it now the truck still runs as great as it did when i first bought it. This proves that if you take care of your car it will take care of you. Im looking forward to many more years with this truck and i recommend it to anybody that is looking for a preowned midsize suv.

Good for my large family

by Mrs. H from Illinois on Tue May 18 2010

This vehicle came with low miles, & a decent price. It was well taken care of by the previous owner. It gets the same gas mileage as the smaller family van I had previously driven.

Horrible...

by The car guy from Cleveland, OH on Fri Aug 19 2016

This car is an example of what I don't want... Yes the car was excellent in the winter. When nobody else could drive beause the snow was to deep I went right on through with zero problems. Great winter car !! Now here are the things that have went bad.. Rear struts, rear shocks, driver and passenger upper control arms. Driver lower control arm, stablizer bar, tow links, driver hub, passenger tie rod, starter, timing chain. It was cost after cost it was killing me. I'm only 23 I've had this suv for 3 years I've spent over 3,000 dollars in repairs on this car. Oh the best one yet tho is because last winter was so cold I opened my rear hatch and my rear window shattered out.. thank the heavens I put all the new stuff in because I wouldn't be able to afford all this done in a garage. I wish I would have had a better experience. As of now I sold the thing for 2,000 only had 128k on it. I now drive a 2006 lifted all black gmc sierra I LOVE THIS TRUCK !

Does not recommend this car!!

2 Explorers & 3 Mountaineers

by bengy from SF, East Bay Area on Wed Oct 04 2006

Every 2 years we look at all the Suv's then always end up buying another Mountaineer or Explorer, nothing else comes close in Value, Comfort, Power & Reliability for us. My 2006 Model is another in this long line that we really cannot find anything better under $50,000.

Fun to drive, comfortable and reliable

by Loves sporty vehicles from on Wed Apr 11 2012

Bought my 2002 Mountaineer used in 2003 and have loved it & all the added extras. I commute 60 - 100 miles a day, 4 - 5 days a week, & mostly on the highway with all the cell phone & texting idiots, and I love the comfort & safety of driving this vehicle. Since going over 190, 000 miles, that's when expensive things have been occurring. Repaired the A/C, a valve cover spring, & other similar type issues. I feel all associated with the high mileage. I love this vehicle, but due to gas prices I'm looking at replacing my Mountaineer with the Edge. Smaller & better on gas & I'm sure I will love it just as much as my Mountaineer.

Love it!!!

by Tiggal from Saint Francis MN on Tue Feb 09 2016

I've had it only a few weeks now. I drove a 2000 Ford Explorer and we were highly impressed with it. However we've been a one car family for a while so we decided that with 2 out of 3 children in school that it was time for me to get a vehicle. I did not want to drive a mini van so we settled on an SUV with 3rd row seating! I LOVE it! My girls can get in and out easily, the stuff that I had to do make it safe (new tires, oil change, alignment, etc.) adds up, however it is also one of those that if the previous owners had kept up on it the cost wouldn't have been so much out of my pocket right away. Solid transmission, solid engine, solid body - little rust but welcome to MN.) enough room for my 3 girls and a couple of their friends. Only con I have is that a forward facing car seat and a booster seat side by side can be a little tricky at times for a 6 year old to be able to fasten herself in at times as it can be a tight fit even for little hands.

2002 Mountaineer

by Mother of 3 from Iowa on Thu Jun 08 2006

Bought used in 2003 and have not had any problems, except some wear on the exterior that I'm not happy with. Extremely comfortable, great air conditioning, lots of room, Easy to put seats down for hauling stuff and then back up for 3rd row. Easy to get in and out of 3rd row. Very reliable

This has been a great all around vehicle.

by OHV Man from St. Louis, MO on Sat Dec 23 2006

It has been a joy to drive and enjoy the performance handling and comfort of the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. I would not be selling it except I recieved a company car. I would recommend this SUV to anyone.

Excellent Family Vehicle

by Mountaineer Fan from Chicago, IL on Fri May 19 2006

I love the Mountaineer. Space is really important with 3 growing boys with friends and cousins who love to spend time with us. This 7 seater is very comfortable for long and short drives. My only concern is the ability to cool off the 3rd row quicker but there is seemingly no problem with heat circulation. The storage area behind the 3rd seat is also great for groceries and other things. My favorite feature is the fact that the 2nd and 3rd row lie down so that we can do our own deliveries and save money. The largest thing that I can remember is a hot water heater. Because of all of these great features, when it is time to upgrade, we will consider the Mountaineer as a top choice.

I really like this truck but......

by CW from Ann Arbor on Sun Jun 15 2008

be prepared for a few common problems areas. These trucks have had a lot of issues with their transmission. When my transmission had to be rebuilt at 100k, I looked on the internet and it was a very common issue. Seems most vehicles have their weak spots, this one just happens to have an expensive one. On the bright side though, that is practically the only repair I have had to do other than routine maintenance and I'm pushing 150K now. I have really enjoyed the truck. It is comfortable, has tons of luxury options and is real fun to drive.

1 2 3