Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1999 Sable

1999 Mercury Sable

$798 - $4,966  MSRP Range
1999 Mercury Sable

3.9

Have You Driven the 1999 Mercury Sable?

Solid Vehicle with luxury and fair gas mileage

by G Man from Colorado Springs on Mon Nov 26 2007

I have owned a lot of cars through the years and most were very good, this is now an older car but still has the modern appeal and a solid engine, well made car and a ride that is dependable. The engine is very good, tranny is good to fair, interior great , lots of room and a trunk that holds the most. A comfortable ride as well. Not a bad choice at all.

Reliable straight forward car

by Big Wu from newark on Mon Apr 11 2011

Purchased used with 76,000 miles from old man. The car was in excelent condition. The car now has 110,000 miles. Very reliable everyday driver. Very roomy. I commute 50 miles perday to work. I am 6'2 300 pounds. You can see everything in the engine bay alternator, waterpump, plugs etc. One quirk. You can't get to the radiator. You install antifreeze via antifreeze reservoir. That reservoir has a tendency to dry rot. Replaced mine twice. If possible opt for the 140hp cast iorn vulcan engine. They are indestructable. The 200hp duratech is much more fragile. She is not fast but she is smooth.

Nothing Horrible, means its pretty good

by I drive Mausoleums from Colorado on Tue Nov 06 2007

I got my Mercury sable wagon LS with 100,000 miles on it for about $5,000 a few years ago. Right after I got it, my parents got a 1999 Sable sedan GS because they loved it so much. Both cars are very roomy. Long-limbed people fit into the back seat without any front seat adjustment. For the wagon, the storage capacity is impressive. When I was moving out of my parents house, a short distance away, I was able to fit every piece of my furniture into the back (in several trips). I only had to collapse the recumbent exercise bike and my headboard on my bead frame. Overall, everything was about what you would expect, reasonable acceleration, etc. However, the seats aggravated an old injury in my leg and I had to purchase a corrective pillow ($40). I also have problems with my shoulder and my back. But once I found the right seat position, I had no problems with any of my injuries. My parents sedan is pretty expensive to tune-up because it is the sportier model but the wagon isn't as bad.

Reliable and comfortable

by Ben from Harrisburg,PA on Sat May 14 2011

This car is reliable and is very comfortable. It is also fairly sporty with the v-6 engine. There is also plenty of leg room for both the front and back passengers. The trunk has plenty of space to fit all your bags for vacations. The car looks very sleek and clean with the side skirts and alloy wheels. Last it is an overall reliable and comfortable car.

Very relaible and comfortable vehicle

by Long term driver from Phila, PA on Wed May 16 2012

Overall Mercury Sable is a great vehicle. Very comfortable, powerful, and drives smoothly. Relatively, fuel efficient.

Great for you money

by robbydodge_2000 from Austin, MN on Mon Nov 13 2006

I think over all it's a good car for your money and it doesn't lack in the performance department either.

reliable, well-rouunded vehicle

by ineedanewcar from dallas, tx on Tue Aug 28 2007

bought used, put 80,000 plus on it, only had a couple minor problems, but car was always drivable. gas mileage in city could be better.

Average with high miles

by Charmed from PA on Wed Aug 09 2006

The Sable is very reliable, with reasonable maintance, its comfortable except with hot weather and NO AC, does tend to use more gas with the 200 horse power engine, Dislike the radio / climate control's can't remove and put own CD player in. (but MP3 players work well) Penty of space for 4 passangers, and good amount of trunk space. Steering is tight, and very responsive, brakes are one of the better ford / mercury systems. Would reccomend a newer sable, for the value and safety Good Family sedan

Excellent value!

by Mother of the owner from Alexandria, VA on Wed Jul 24 2013

I purchased this car for my teenaged son from Kargar Motors and it was such a find! It is a wagon, with lots of space for all his hockey gear. It rides well, gets good mileage, and was very clean and in good condition. The guys at the dealership took great care of us. I couldn't have asked for more.

Simple and Reliable, Not Exciting

by Penny Pinching Family Man in DC from Washington, DC on Thu Jan 03 2013

I inherited my '99 Sable LS (24v engine) from my grandmother's estate. It came to me with all of 28,567 miles on it as she only drove to her doctors and to the grocery store. It was driven gently in warm Boca Raton, Florida, but it has taken to the voracious stop-and-go of the DC metro area like a champ. First, the bad. Grandma didn't spring for the CD player, there's no LATCH for the kids' seats, no sun/moonroof, and the fuel gauge is awful. I can be cruising along and then the gauge plummets down to near empty, but when I fill up, I can only add 11 or 12 gallons to the 16 gallon tank. Plus, the styling is pretty spartan and the performance is so-so. The car looks like a throat lozenge, and I'd wager about 8.5 seconds to sixty, so it's at least enough to pass the econo-pods. However, this car is used for commuting and taking the kids short distances (and it's hard to complain a lot about a free car), and that's where the good stuff comes in. This car is simple enough for anyone to work on it, and that means maintenance isn't going to bankrupt me like the Cadillac Catera I used to own that disintegrated on the side of the interstate. Though I think the instrument cluster looks rather banal, there's no learning curve. I could operate the car 100% immediately. The seats are ridiculously comfortable, and the trunk is massive. Cupholders are usable, as are the glove box and console. I see these Sables and Tauruses everywhere driven by people from all walks of life, and that makes me confident I can rely on this car for years to come.

1 2