2001 Sable

$738 - $4,754  MSRP Range
2001 Mercury Sable

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2001 Mercury Sable?

2001 LS Premium - One very nice vehicle

by zbaron from Dover, Delaware on Fri Feb 06 2009

I fell for a 1987 Ford Taurus wagon and ventured as far as attempting a restoration... it was a serious Keeper. Rip-off mechanics helped eliminate that vehicle from my life but this 2001 Sable wagon is making me quickly forget the Taurus. Although a younger sister, this car is way better than my cherished chariot and, for the money, a lot better than the other competition when it comes to creature comforts and features. The engine is quiet and strong with power to spare. The engine runs silky smooth and engine sound hardly intrudes on what can only be described as a luxury-level ride ? all that power and you don?t have to ignore or drown out engine noise! The ride is supple with firm handling (it's not a sports car but that's not why I bought it). The steering fells a little heavy but is fairly responsive (considering the size of the car) and the power assist level is sufficient. I like the changes to the front end design (versus the earlier 90s models) and wish the Ford-Lincoln-Mercury would have done the same with the rear. The styling of the rest of the car is still appealing. Interior-wise, there isn?t much to complain about. I chose the split-bench front seat option because it is what I liked about my Taurus ? I would still prefer the separate armrests. The convertible middle-seat cushion/console is absolutely perfect (not offered on the first generation models). I can now carry half of my soccer team or enjoy the utility of cup holders, two trays, and additional storage: tape cassettes or whatever else you can fit in the added space between the seats. The 2001 Sable LS Premium?s four-wheel disc ABS brakes were one feature I insisted on and they work very well. The automatic heating-cooling system was great while transporting the vehicle from Florida (75 degrees F) to the mid-Atlantic area (17 degrees F) on a winter trip. The Mach sound system performs way beyond my expectations ? no need for the planned replacement. I could wish that the gas mileage would be close to the 30mpg my Taurus got (I hear that is unusual). With a soft foot I am getting between 25 to 28mpg on the highway (most of my driving). Considering the power and spirit of the 24-valve Duratec engine, I?m getting V-8 performance and sacrificing 2 to 3mpg in fuel economy. All in all, I?m one happy camper!

most reliable car I `ve owned

by Big E from Oklahoma on Sun Sep 06 2009

I brought this car May 2000 for my wife birthday,it was 1year old and had 27,000 miles now it has about 188,000 miles still going strong I really thank God for this car it`s among the best.

Amazing

by Jae from Chicago, IL on Tue Nov 13 2012

I just bought this car with 40k miles for under 7,000 dollars. I drove this car once off the lot for a test drive first and fell in love with it. It has a sleek look, the inside is very attractive with the leather seats, it's a luxurius car, even for a 2001 car! A 2001 car with 40k miles! It was an amazing buy. I use the car to get to work and just drive around a bit, I can't wait to take it onto the road for a trip somewhere.

great value/great power

by automotion from lansing, mi on Sun Feb 22 2009

bought the car used (but in excellent condition) and have been MORE than satisfied...style , gas mileage, comfort, dependability and features that you come to expect in a more expensive car....I have the LS Premium and Mercury should be commended for building this durable vehicle. Excellent power!

my favorite car

by beautiful all black/w chrome car from dearborn heights,mi on Thu Apr 07 2011

I took care of this 2001 mercury/sable car, its in excellent condition,inside & out. I bought it brand new, & the only 1 owner.

Work horse! I have had 5 in the family.

by owner from sylvania on Sat Aug 09 2008

Great car for the money. Good Mileage. Good power. 24 valve is a must. ABS brakes and FW drive make it great in the snow. Low maintenance cost. Great saftey features and all.

Nice used car

by Daughters First Car from Columbus, Ohio on Fri Dec 07 2012

We purchased this car used for our daughters first car. It was in excellent condition with only the AC compressor not working. Dealer helped with the pricing to split the difference since we will need that repaired in the spring. Very happy with the purchase. Feel it is a beautiful and safe vehicle for our baby to be driving in. Thank you.

Quirks

by Antique Car Enthusiast from Holland, Mi on Wed Jul 01 2009

Fuel pump went out @40,000 miles Front struts went @ 42,000 Brakes @44,000 Turn signals work intermmitantly Serpentine belt and tensioner @ 43,000 CPS bushing started to chirp @44,000 (lubricated) Hard clunk in back when you pass over bumps (shocks are okay; not spare tire. Replaced front struts @42,000

Bullet Proof

by BRich from South Lyon, MI on Tue Aug 05 2008

Seven years and almost 140K miles later, this car still runs like new. I'm pretty easy on it when I drive it, but when I need it to perform the 24v V6 doesn't hesitate when I put the pedal down. Just regular, routine maintainance and I've had no major problems. I bought it with 72K miles from a friend who I know treated it well. Definately a reliable vehicle. Just drive your car the way it was designed to be driven and you'll have few problems.

Old, But reliable

by JoshArtDriver from Hacienda Heights, CA on Thu Apr 13 2017

I have received this car as a graduation gift to me. It has been with me since 2010. It survived a transmission change and O2 censor valve replacement. Still reliable to this day, Despite needing a new transmission after the hills of California took it's toll.

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Mercury Sable

If that sound you hear in the distance is the death bell for Mercury, don't look the Sable's way.

Like its distant cousin, Plymouth, the once-eclectic automotive brand, might be whittled down to just five nameplates and the public's interest may be waning, but the Sable is still solid.

Unassuming, yes. But solid.

No eyebrow raising or head spins here. No gawkers or dreamers. No chance at getting blown away by white-hot first impressions. Second impressions? You're getting warmer.

The 2001 Sable is what it is, the very definition of utility wrap-ped in sheet metal. Convenience. Practicality. Brand X with anti-lock braking, horsepower and substance over style. And, yes, Mercury all the way... Read More