2004 Sable

2004 Mercury Sable

$749 - $6,209  MSRP Range
2004 Mercury Sable

Have You Driven the 2004 Mercury Sable?

Luxury and Reliablility

by carguy54 from Michigan on Tue Dec 01 2009

I bought my 2004 mercury sable ls premium edition 4 years ago and have 59k miles on it. I do a lot of driving on the highway and horrible roads and it handles both just fine. It is one of the most reliable cars I have owned. I still have my 2003 taurus which is the same thing and it has 90k and never quits. I prefer the exterior of the sable over the taurus because of the higher front end and the design is better. The only thing I dont like is the shape, how the trunk angles down which looks weird and cuts into trunk space. The driver door has a keypad tucked under the handle and it allows you to enter in a code of your choice and whenever you enter it, the car will unlock. This has been very useful to me. You can leave your keys in the car and lock it, or lock it while its warming up in the morning, and I have accidentally locked my keys in there a couple times and I wasnt even at my house. I was very relieved to remember I had a keypad and sure enough, I got in. The inside of the car is amazing! Black leather is very comfortable and shows little signs of wear. The wood trim gives it a more luxurious feel to it. The inside feels like you are driving a luxury car. I absolutley can not live without the premium sound system for put in it. It is 5 times stronger than the basic and has more speakers and it sounds amazing. It handles really well and the 3.0 DOHC engine has amazing torque. The automatic rearview mirror is a nice thing to have too. Since everything is automatic, you never have to worry or adjust anything. Its great! The interior is very roomy and has plenty of leg room. Both the driver and passenger seats are adjustable and the pedals are adjustable too. Its a good car for winter. Its heavy and handles great. It also has heated outside mirrors so you will always be able to see. One of my favorite features is the computer it has. There is a screen in the guage cluster that shows a compass, outside temperature, miles, Avg mpg, and it calculates your average mpg and how much fuel you have left and showes you how many miles you have until you run out of gas and it is extremely accurate. It has abs brakes and traction control. I have used this for back and fourth driving to school, transporting, fun, and even off roading. Overall, I would give it 5 stars and I know I can depend on it. I would willingly recommend this car to anybody.

good power,solid body & lots of options

by lowdown from san antonio tx on Wed Mar 20 2013

i purchase sable ls premium with 134000 miles and all it needed was a tune- up , quiet ride, great sound system, brakes (four way dics brakes ) amd good leather seats !

Reliable, cheap and powerful, but poor brakes

by Car fanatic from on Tue Sep 11 2012

I bought my 2004 Sable used in 2008 for only $7800 and it has been reliable and cheap to operate. The DOHC V6 is powerful and sporty, but I've had trouble with poor brake life and what I feel is poor braking performance. I've had to get new brakes (including pads, rotor turned, etc.) four times in four years. Believe it or not, this is the first car in 15 years that I've owned that needed new brakes. So, it's frustrating. Other than that, the car is a GREAT value. I get about 20 MPG in the city and 25 MPG when I commute on the freeway. I've seen 29 or 30 MPG on long trips.

trouble-free car

by Sable fan from Spokane, WA on Mon Oct 18 2010

I had my 2004 Sable for 4 years and the only repair I had was a starter and one set of brakes. I never had any trouble with it other than that one time so I was very pleased with it.

by Pete Sake from Harrisburg, PA on Wed Aug 22 2007

Sable / Taurus is known to have a low resale value, yet it is consistently given favorable reviews for safety & reliability. If you're buying a used car this means: Value for the Money! My Sable wagon is far more comfortable than any Outback-like car I've ever been in, and generally outperforms them - although it has no rear seat headrests, which is a "minus" - the car is truly a lot of Value for the Money. I would like to get better fuel economy. In 14,000 miles overall average = 18MPG ranging from a low of 15 (camping + roof-rack) to 28MPG on the highway using cruise control set at 60mph. Goes good in snow, but very low ground clearance.

Best car anyone could buy!!!

by Proud new owner from Marion, Iowa on Tue Oct 09 2007

I purchased my new 2004 Sable GS a few days ago, and absolutely love the car! It has higher mileage, since I bought used, but it runs like it just came off of the showroom floor! The steering (handling) is great! My father and my friend have owned nothing but Ford Tauruses and say that the Sable if just alike! So, with that being said, I truly trust the name and the vehicle! The stereo is very nice and I love the sleek look of the steering wheel! I am 27 years old, and I wouldn't drive any type of sports car over this one. Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!! Also like the spoke styled hub caps, they look very nice on the car...very classy! Buy one, you won't regret it!

I loved this car

by wish i still had it. from macon, GA on Wed May 13 2009

The only reason I know longer have my 04 Sable is because it was a total loss from an accident. I had this car for 4.5 yrs, drove 20k/ yrly and NEVER had a problem. It is extremely reliable. I was spoiled with all the electronic features. I was tempted to purchase the same vehicle.

Comfortable, Sporty, Reliable Sedan

by dillschu on Wed Aug 30 2017

I have the 04 LS Prem Sedan edition and I love the interior especially. The leather seats, sunroof, and wood trim make it comfortable and stylish with enough storage room. The V6 engine is fairly responsive, but push it too hard and a cylinder will blow. Great handling, parts aren't too expensive (although some are discontinued), and makes a good impression for the price.

The Best I've Owned

by Sable Lover from Millsboro, De on Fri May 11 2007

This is my second car and I LOVE IT!!! I bought this on Monday (the 7th) and I'm in love... Handles perfectly and has a lot of pep given it's target audience. And fuel economy is great. 23 MPG overall, a heck of a lot better than my previous car. I hope this one holds up for along time.

mercury sable ls

by Jo from Illinois on Sat Feb 24 2007

this car has some real kick. Its classy and comfy but i could drive this puppy in a race. Handles wonderfully. i wish i would have known about it a long time ago. Thanks Mercury!

1 2