2012 Cooper Countryman

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman

Have You Driven the 2012 MINI Cooper Countryman?

Love it!

by Roodie from Oregon on Mon Jan 09 2012

I have had my 2012 Countryman for about two months now and absolutely love it! It is so fun and it gets great gas mileage. I have been averaging about 33 mpg, but should get better as the engine breaks in.

GREAT LITTLE CAR

by BRM MEMBER from Ohio on Fri Aug 16 2013

We replaced my Jeep Grand Cherokee with this Countryman. Enough room for our cooler, luggage and dog plus it's a blast to drive. The automatic transmission is acceptable but would have been more fun with a manual. The Countryman is fairly quick, relatively quiet and gets a ton of looks. Way better on gas than the Jeep and can seat 4 people comfortably.

I love my Countryman...

by Rick from Phoenix from Phoenix, AZ on Mon Oct 24 2011

The car is amazing. I have heard it called the "Maxi Mini" and that is a good name for it. I have the sport model and the turbo kicks it. The back seat is roomy and most people who get inside can't believe how much room is there. I spared no expense and really ran up a tab but it was worth every penny. This is my second Mini as I previously had a Clubman. I highly recommend this vehicle.

I am confused

by sugar from NYC on Fri Aug 23 2013

I recently purchased a mini countryman as stated on the sticker and receipt from the preowned dealer at Barron Nissan Greenvale. I wanted a countryman as it was top of the mini line , but your asking how I like my Clubman?.. Hmmmm I can't compare the two as I have only driven my car which was sold to me as a countryman, I would love someone to tell me the difference , and the cost was pricey for a 2011.

Minifun

by Excellent from Maryland on Wed Dec 28 2011

Very cool car. Allows you to have a commanding view of the road. Fun to drive, comfortable, good on gas, gets lots of looks and you will never get tired of looking at it. Do not pass this up. Check it out and you will smile the entire time you are driving!

The New and Improved 2017 MINI Countryman

by Doreen & John from Clinton, MA on Mon Dec 11 2017

The 2017 MINI Countryman is a larger and much improved model than its' predecessors and is far more driver and user friendly which makes it a great sub-compact SUV.

mini of las vegas and our countryman

by carlesh from las vegas, nevada on Sun Nov 03 2013

we went to the dealership expecting to hear that the countryman would again be out of our budget just like the rest of the cars that we were looking into but alexa, scott, and chris were incredibly professional, hardworking, and dedicated and after spending hours trying to work through all the kinks, they were able to give the us just the deal we were looking for! :) my husband and i are very grateful for their efforts and we are extremely satisfied with the countryman and with the service we received from the excellent staff at mini of las vegas!:)

Buyer's remorse

by Saab lover from Danvers, MA on Thu Jul 04 2013

I researched MINI's for several years. I owned Saabs for 19 years but GM pushed them into oblivion. It that wasn't traumatic enough GM hoarded any parts that could be used in their other models. So when it was impossible for my mechanic to find parts I decided it was time to take the leap. I chose the Countryman because of the size - if I could afford a pick-up truck and a car I would have chose the MNI hardtop. The dealership allowed me a 20 minute test drive on side streets. My attention was taken by the salesperson's constant directions on unfamiliar streets. Why didn't I go back for a longer drive? Dealers are few and far between, it was nearing the end of the year and I planned to donate my Saab to a charity. The staff at the dealership were arrogant. They argued about available options if I decided to order a 2013 and lied to me. So I bought a 2012. Within 3 days I wanted my Saab back! Alas it sold in one day. MINI advertises "ergonomic seating". I suggest they look up the meaning. The headrest pushes my head out of alignment with my shoulders and back. The only adjustment is the height - many other cars have a tilt feature.(BTW a friend with a BMW has the same problem). MINI won't let me buy another type of headrest. I tried swapping out one of the backseat headrests since they are smaller. It didn't help. So I turned the headrest backward and wrapped a memory foam cushion around the base. The seats are torture after 45 minutes. The drink holder blocks some of the controls. Torque steer is awful especially with the run-flat tires. The car reacts to the slightest irregularity in the road surface. On rough roads keeping the car straight is exhausting. Acceleration is sluggish on the slightest incline - down-shifting doesn't help and the sport button is a joke. The climate control system is laughable - constant adjustments to the controls are needed in the winter. The air conditioning barely makes a dent in really hot weather. Automatic climate control should be standard but based on what I've read on MINI forums it really isn't much of an improvement. I experienced steering failure within weeks of buying the car. The service manager insisted I had stalled the car. No, I did not. He told me bringing the car in would be a waste of time because there was absolutely no reason for that to happen. I had to call MINI USA several times before the dealer would take the car in. It had a faulty steering module. No apology. At that point I started a campaign to get the dealer to buy back the car. There are problems with the seat belts. The Fasten seat belt warning light and audible alarm comes on frequently although the seat belts are secured. It happens after driving for 15 to 20 minutes. Starting and stopping the car does not reset it. Again, the dealer tells me there's nothing wrong. I think there's a faulty sensor in the fastener or a bad connection in the wiring. They aren't going to take the time to figure it out. Recently there was an article in the Wall Street Journal referencing NHTSA's statistics safety complaints for car models in the US. Guess who is #1? MINI! Problems: power train, steering failure, restraint system failure. No recalls or service bulletins. One day I had to slam the brakes so hard the ABS system kicked in on dry pavement. The seat belt did not tighten across my chest. I commute 80 miles a day on busy highways. Discomfort is annoying. Doubting the car will keep me safe in an accident is not tolerable. After 6 months I am ditching the car. I'll take a hit financially but it's better than fining out the hard way that there really IS a seat belt system failure. After all I was right about the power steering.

Does not recommend this car!!

Look forward to driving!

by Goodstuff from IL on Wed Aug 30 2017

Good stuff; we enjoy driving the car. It handles great and is fun to drive. Good gas mileage as well.

This car is a lot of fun!

by JLee from Garland, TX on Mon Jan 22 2018

I love my new Mini Cooper. It's roomy and fun to drive. It's a bit of a bumpy ride though, sort of like a go cart but I still enjoy it ;)

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2012 MINI Cooper Countryman

Editor's note: This review was written in October 2010 about the 2011 Mini Cooper Countryman. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

When Mini entered the market in 2002, its Cooper coupe appealed to Americans with its style and size at a time when bigger was still seen as better. That alone would have been enough to bring the brand success, but the car went on to exceed sales expectations because of how it drives.

If Mini's first crossover — the Countryman — succeeds, it will be due more to its style and versatility than for the driving experience for which Minis have... Read More