4.5
Average based on 19 reviews

Evo Vs STi

by from Vermont on December 2, 2010

The Evolution: Lets starts off with the bad! The gas tank is about the size of my brain SMALL! I swear every 150 miles I am filling up the 12 gallon tank with the beautiful 93 octane. I get about the same mileage as the STi unless I am driving it hard with the worst I have had around 15 mpg, but that is driving it hard for a short amount of time then parking it. The interior feels kinda chincy ,fake carbon fiber, shift boot, shift knob, the plastics are not nice to look at but by far a step up from the older Evolution VIII or IV. The last issue I have with the Evolution is that the clutch from Mitsubishi SUCKS! I swear every time I try to take off fast from a light I get the great sulfur smell from the clutch. I guess those are really my only bitchs with the car, and with some modification some of those things can be fixed I.E. clutch & flywheel. I just wanted to tell you that the Evo is the first car that I test drove that scared the heck out of me. We test drove a bright octane blue 08 Evo X in NY, on the first corner I hit the gas in second gear and the rear end stepped out on me (thats when I fell in love). Similar to the STi the transmission is smooth and solid precise and feels indestructible, unlike the STi it does miss that extra gear. The power delivery is a little different from the Evo also, you can feel a small amount of turbo lag down low but once 2,000 RPMS come around HOLD ON! The motor just spins so freely and feels happy to bounce off the rev limiter pretty much anytime you would like it to (not that I would know). Its also a great sensation of high revving (7500 RPMS) and it still feels like it makes power all the way to redline. Coming from a long Honda background I feel very much at home in the Evo compared to the STi. One thing that I also liked about the Evo is super fast steering response and even though it is 200 lbs heavier then the STi it feels lighter, more crisp, and more of a purist car. The AWC is a neat feature letting you adjust the amount of slip the front to rear diff will allow before engaging each other. Set on the Tarmac mode the car feels almost RWD and will slide sideways on demand (even on dry pavement), Gravel and Snow mode I have never used. Another really cool feature for people that want to drive fast without experience is the AYC. The traction control on the Evo has 3 setting; ON which will pretty much limit all wheel slip, AYC which will allow you to get the car sideways and keep it there and the cars computers will take over keeping the cars Yaw motion in a direction of where you want the car to go, or OFF which is of course the most fun that will shut off TCS and AYC. The last point I want to make is about the Evolution suspension, even if it is a bit softer then the VIII/IV it still is very much solid. You do not feel much in terms of body roll and it feels as if the tire were not actually mounted to the rims they might come off, the Stock advans will not last long and you will need winter tires if you live in snow region but that is to be expected. Over all if you want more of a purist car, something you can drive hard and feel like you can put the car where you want it when you want the Evolution is the right car and I will say both cars great in their own separate ways but the STi just is not the right car for me.

Love it

by from Anaheim Hills, CA on June 27, 2010

i go through cars like underwear. I love them, buy them, drive them, then sell them a little while after. For the longest time i couldn't decide what my next car was going to be. Looked at 335i's, STI's, etc etc. this car is by far the best car ive ever owned. Quick, comfortable, reliable, handles like a champ, and much more. GREAT CAR and for the money you get a vehicle that can keep up with cars far more expensive. If you are thinking about getting this car... JUST GO DO IT!

unique

by from SE MA on February 7, 2010

my first japanese car, have owned '05 m3, '01, '05 s4's, 91 C4, '08 R32, now an evo. jury's out on the tradeoff between missing german teutonics vs high tech japanese chassis/handling. the evo is a very capable car, although the fact. yoko advan's are worthless in NE winters. i am limping through my 1st winter, too poor till next fall. the 4banger is definitely buzzy not to mention thirsty, but the handling experience is second to none, that i've driven. needs a 6th gear mpg wise...would recommend driving a used 335xi or 911C4 to compare overall drive experience.

Evo's are the best bang for your buck

by from new york, NY on March 20, 2011

They can be as fast as a lambo and cost a 10th the price. They handle as well as a Nissan GTR and are half the price. What more is there to say?

Best Car for the money

by from Chicopee, MA on September 20, 2012

I recently have driven a 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan. Great little car for the money. I traded it a couple weeks ago after 4 years of no issues at all for a 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR. There is no comparison this vehicle is a great performer while still maintaining decent fuel economy. Starting at $34,500 brand new with a 2.0L Turbocharged motor producing 291hp and 300lbs trq this car is an absolute monster.

Super fast racing machine

by from Lansing on July 31, 2011

Got a used black MR 5 month ago. The car got tuned already its about 420 HP. Very fast on the road and great steering wheel reflection. It feels like she could race nearly any car on the road. I beats BMW M3, M5 and shelby GT in street drag, very close to a Nissan GTR. Its really dont spend much money on service, mostly changing the oil. Thebad about it is its gas tank is only 12 gallons . Got fills up the gas every 150 miles. And the stock tires are really noisy. All in all, a great perfomance car at a reasonable price

Great powerful 4x4 turbo machine

by from New York New York on June 22, 2013

Great car specially if it comes from Japan. Thanks to this car I have more room to travel with family members.

good car

by from new york ny on September 19, 2008

this car was very good the performance and every thins is fantastic i give this car 98% it's have power and the Design is wonderful

LANCER IS COOL

by from Leesburg, VA on July 31, 2014

I'm getting ready to go to college next year and I traded my Armada for this Mitsubishi . Saving gas will come in handy. Michael Fletcher was our sales Consultant and he made the transaction effortless. Highly recommend Browns Dulles Nissan.

The Best Evo ever

by from N.Y. on October 8, 2008

I purchased a 2008 lancer evo MR, and I must say that this is the best car I have ever driven. The handling is near flawless. The power is great. The stopping power with the 2 piece brembo brakes are top notch. The Interior is unique and not too flashy. The keyless entry gives my Evo above the GSR the wow factor. People with luxury cars stare at it with admiration. 0-60 in super sport with 6500 rpm at a stand still in 4.8 seconds. After I change this MR to the FQ spec.....this car will be super quick. Unless you own this car.....you will totally understand the ownership experience.