1998 Mirage

5 out of 5 stars Interior Design
5 out of 5 stars Reliability
5 out of 5 stars Performance
5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage?

SPORTY GAS SIPPER

by daxraytech2008 from Humacao, Puerto Rico on Thu Jul 31 2014

I bought one with 190000 miles in NOV 2013 for under $2000. It didn' t need a full tune up so I poured a fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank and filled the tank with gasoline. After I consumed that gasoline I installed a new fuel filter, had my body thottle cleaned and installed a reusable air filter. Now that the car's fuel lines and injectors are clean and the air filter is new, it sips gas like when the car was new. This should be done to any car you buy used. My review is based on my oppinion of this car within its class which is the subcompact segment. The mirage comes with independent rear suspencion in the base model, (that means great handling) this tyoe of suspencion is usually reserved for more expensive sports cars. These vehicles are highly reliable and fit three passengers fairly comfortable in the back seat. Bottom line is, in the subcompct segment this car is very hard to beat due to its handling, gas sipping and price.

Our Take on the 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage

The Mitsubishi Mirage, once a work of suspect quality, is now a truly enjoyable little car.

That's the plain truth, the substance of my week in a Mirage LS Coupe.

The Mirage, introduced in 1985, was completely reworked for the 1997-model year. But I snubbed that version, passed it over for review -- based on memories of previous Mirages, most of which were noisy puttmobiles. Kathy Dahlstrom, who oversees much of my test-vehicle schedule, made me reconsider. "Give it a chance. This car isn't what you think it is," she said. She shipped a 1998 Mirage LS Coupe. She was right.

The 1998 car, practically identical to the 1997 model, was a pleasant surprise. It ran smoothly, quietly, quickly. Its five-speed... Read More