Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2001 Montero

2001 Mitsubishi Montero

Have You Driven the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero?

Excelent Vehicle!

by Happy Montero Owner! from Orlando, FL on Mon Nov 01 2010

I bought my Montero in 2005, when I stumbled upon it in an ebay add that was mismarked as a Toyota 4Runner. I hadn't ever heard of them before that, and am so glad that some mis-nammed their add. Asside from normal wear/tear (tires, battery, brakes, etc.), this car has been problem free! It is like a luxury vehicle and rugged/all-terain truck, wrapped into one nice good looking package. It is nice to be able to cruise around town using the rear-wheel drive, which saves you gas versus driving it in 4WD. The 4WD is there for you when you need it though, like in the snow/ice or other soft surfaces (gravel, sand, clay, mud, etc), so you'll never get stuck in this SUV! Heated seats work fast, and keep you warm to the core in the winter! Visibility is awesome (hardly any blind spots). 7-passenger seats, that can all lay down, to make one big "bed"...soo cool (don't know of any other vehicle that does this). The 3rd row bench seat disapears into the floor, and the 2nd row bench folds up nicely to provide a huge cargo space. Can haul a ton of groceries, kids (and/or adults), and lumber for all your trips to Lowes and Home Depot. Sunroof is GINORMOUS!! Digital display control unit was ahead of its time! Powerful V-6, which gives you better gas millage that the other full-size, V-8 SUVs out there. Best looking SUV on the road (even today, I don't see any other SUVs that look as good as the Montero...unless you want to pay 80,000 dollars for a Porsche :)). I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for one of them. You won't be disapointed. I only wish Mitsubishi didn't stop making them.

Capable 4WD

by SakuraArt from Rochester, NY on Tue Sep 01 2015

First, I was deployed overseas in the Navy. Everywhere I went, from deserts to jungles to the artic, these vehicles were the staple (along with the Toyota Land Cruiser). Every single time I got inside one I knew I had to get one, so once I got the chance to get one when I got back stateside, I did. It took me a few months to find one, a gem in hiding. I jumped on it immediately. Don't let the miles or the year fool you people. This vehicle is the most capable vehicle you might ever find, I mean ever. I purchased my 2001 for 5G with 140,000. Anyone who works at a bank is looking at that as a bad investment, but they also have no clue as to what this vehicle can do. I replaced the belts, flushed and replaced all fluids and oils systems, changed the brake pads, All Weather Bridgestone tires, and put in a single DIN navigation unit with Bluetooth (ipad/android capable control). I also replaced the standard subwoofer with one from Pioneer that runs on 2 ohms (only because the standard one had already ripped apart on it gaskets due to age). So now, after putting in about 3G on top of the 5, I have a 4x4 that can shift from 2 to 4H to 4L to regular 4, without moving from my seat, control all my electronics, tow, carry around all my friends and family in comfort, and have a full size spare off the massive back gate. This Montero is the most capable vehicle I've ever owned and it owns the offroad (other 4WD/4x4's I owned were the 2000 Expedition -Eddie Bauer edition, and the 2010 Highlandr - Sport edition AWD). I look for places that will get other vehicles stuck, and this one just rolls through it as if it were on asphalt. Recently my brother got his Dodge 2500 stuck, he used his Suburban to try to pull it out, got it stuck as well. I hooked up his 2500 to my font tow hooks, and easily pulled it out using 4L. Then I hooked up his Suburban and did the same. Don't let the size fool you with it's intense capabilities and power. I use it as a daily driver vehicle, and it easily handles in the unforgiving upstate NY winters and snow. I refuse to shovel my driveway because I don't need to, this just drives right through as if, again, it were on asphalt. So, I'm looking for another one, just to have as a spare and to share the miles (this one now has eclipsed 150k, and still purrs along, but I'd rather keep them low if possible). I've read reviews of people having overheating problems, but never had any issues with that, but I also live in a place where 80F is a heatwave. I also have the Limited. If I could fill my entire driveway with them, I would for the price. A few upgrades will make it just as capable as anything on the market.

Great Car to Own

by Ms. SUV from Texas on Mon Jul 16 2007

I bought this car new and have driven over 100,000 miles. It has been extremely reliable. I can easily get into and out of tight parking spaces. I love my Monterro! It is as fuel efficient as most cars of this size that were available in 2001.

most reliable car

by lady from Los Angeles, Ca on Sat Apr 06 2013

I've owned about 12 cars in my life and this was by far the vest. I drove my montero for more than four years and only had one problem in that period which was the breaks. Fixed them once and that was that. I also had an issue with my CD player but other than that the car was extremely reliable. Drove it in a blizzard for 8 hours straight and it did not let me down. no longer need a car so big but if I needed more space I would buy this car again. I also like that the design is timeless.

Montero Rocks!!

by Cleveland Researcher from Cleveland, OH on Sun Aug 07 2011

I was in the market for a used SUV. As a case worker, I needed something that had plenty of room to transport clients while still somewhat gas efficient. As for personal used, I needed something safe that I could take my young nieces and nephews skiing and camping, as well as, do my other activities. I did my research and test drove the Honda Pilot, Toyota 4 Runner, Nissan Pathfinder and Xterra, Ford Escape, Land Rover Discovery, and of course, the Mitsubishi Montero. To my suprise, the Montero beat them all hands down. The Montero was roomier, better interior designed orgonamically, felt more steardier, had all the features that I wanted in a single SUV, looks just as good as the Land Rover and handles better, great stereo system, lots of cargo space, third row seating, and an all around perfect car for my active life style. Perfect also for driving the family around and feel very safe in it. Compared to the others, it had the best price both in the purchase and maintenance department. Extremely great value for the money. I look forward to having my 2001 Mitsubishi for years to come. All my research and test drives really paid off. My friends and family love the car, but more importantly, I love it too. No doubt in my mind that I made the right choice! I would highly recommend you try and purchase this car.

Love my Montero

by Montero Mom from Pebble Beach, CA on Mon Aug 31 2009

I bought this car new vs. the Sequoia. It's a Limited with all the extras. Since the main purpose would be for commuting to work with room for kids, I chose the Montero for the V6 and better gas mileage as well as a lower purchase price. I have not been disappointed. I am at 130k miles and have contemplated turning it in for something new. Then I get inside the vehicle and ask myself "Why?". It's in great shape, is reliable and feels larger than it is due to the extra headroom. It drives more like a car than most of the other SUV's I've driven. I also enjoy that it's unique and not every other car in traffic is a Montero. I love my Montero and would recommend it to anyone.

Most reliable car I ever owned and I had many.

by Rufus from Chicago IL on Tue Jan 03 2012

This car has it all, power, low end torque, 4x4 is big enough for my family and is excellent in the winter.

by JoeHackk from MA on Mon Mar 06 2017

The best auto I have ever owned! Purchased in 2007 with only 11K mi. Still driving with over 202,000 mi!

Insane Value for What You Get

by Montero Owner from Richmond, Virginia on Fri Dec 08 2017

I went from a Mazda3 to this car because I wanted something bigger that was also competent off-road. I have not been disappointed. This car is phenomenal. The worst part of it is no doubt the fuel economy (15-16 MPG of premium gas, Costco saves me big money in this aspect). The upsides are everything else. I've taken this car everywhere, from long trips on highways to off-roading to just driving to school. I've even slept in it multiple times (why waste cargo space on a tent when you can just fold the seats into bed mode and sleep like a log?). This car gets a 15/10 for practicality in my book just because of all the storage, the modular interior (i.e. the third row can easily be removed for added cargo space), a full size spare that is REAR MOUNTED, which just looks amazing. It has amazing ground clearance while still not being that difficult to get into, and aftermarket running boards are only $150 max anyways. The stock center differential lock plus low range makes this thing unbeatable stock, though it is most definitely matched in off-road prowess by 4Runners and Land Cruisers. Why buy a Jeep and compromise creature comforts when you can buy a clean Montero for $3000 with all sorts of luxury? All in all, a great car.

VERY GOOD AND RELIABLE CAR FOR EVERYDAY AND OFF RO

by MAX SHAH from RIVERSIDE, CA on Tue Oct 17 2017

THIS CAR IS MADE FOR COMFORT AND EASE OF USE IN ALL ROAD AND WEATHER CONDITIONS, AND HAS STOOD TO THE TASK AT ALL TIMES.

Uses car for Off-roading

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero

There must have been a run on Hara-kiri swords the day Consumer Reports (CR) released its evaluation of the new, third-generation 2001 Mitsubishi Montero.

In case you were out in space, the magazine issued a press release in June labeling the Mitsubishi Montero Limited "unacceptable." The subhead on the announcement, which the media dived upon, was "SUV tips up severely in our emergency avoidance-maneuver test." The report is available in full at consumerreports.org. The magazine tested on the same occasion, with the same protocol, the Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer, GMC Envoy, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, and Toyota 4Runner; none of these exhibited untoward behavior.

What do they mean... Read More