2002 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Montero
Average based on 10 reviews

Great SUV

by from El Paso, Tx on October 28, 2010

I bought this 2002 Montero with 112k miles on the clock and it works great. Exterior styling is excellent as well as the interior. I simply don't agree with the people who say that this is underpowered. It's 3.5 L V6 provides adequate power off the blocks and accelerating and I had no trouble overtaking. It's maximum speed is about 105-110 mph. As usual Mitsubishi is known for it's reliability and ruggedness specialy outside USA. I think Mitsubishi is verymuch underated in USA. The only complain I have about my Montero is that it's suspension is a little stiff, so it transmits some of the unevenness of the road to the cabin a little too much to my liking. Overall I think it's a great vehicle.

Love this vehicle

by from Atlanta on March 13, 2009

We have 2 2002 Montero Limiteds. My first has 145,000 miles on it. I have had it since day 1. It runs like day one. Our other we purchased two years ago with 47,000 miles and now has 89,000. The second one I believe wasn't maintained (premium gas ALWAYS) as well as my first and spent some time in FL. The 4X4 on this vehicle is great, winter and rain driving in 4X4 awesome too. I do wish the 3rd row had more room and putting premium in at 4.30 a galloon this sunner hurt. We are currently looking for a 2005 or 2006!

STILL GOING

by from ELLIJAY GA on December 18, 2010

THIS IS MY 3RD MONTERO I HAVE 300289 THOUSAND MILES AND STILL GOING STRONG.YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THIS VEHICLE.

Uses car for Towing

Mitsubishi Montero--Best SUV

by from Minneapolis on March 17, 2013

My first SUV was a Toyota Landcruiser; it drove like a truck and it didn't accelerate with much power. I also got 12 miles to the gallon. When I bought my Montero, I had a baby; I bought what I thought was the safest SUV. That was in 1995. I LOVED THAT CAR so much that even though I could afford to trade "up" I never found a car that I liked better! This car had scrumptious grey leather; white exterior with silver trim, running boards (for kids and the elderly and short people) I had a funky front bumper guard with high-tech fog lights that were expensive add-ons, but made it look REALLY cool! I got 18 miles to the gallon, which I thought was pretty good the way I drive! When the car was 10 years old I "totaled" it--was told it would cost $6000 to repair-- more than it was worth. I REGRET NOT FIXING THAT CAR. I have never been happy since and I would love to find MY OLD CAR--a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero (I GAVE it "as is" to my brother-in-law) pearly white, luggage rack, tinted windows, 3rd row seats; perfect condition except for the wreck that occurred which damaged the front drivers side. At the time, after 10 years it only had 90,000 miles on it! The suspension stayed tight! The MPG never went below 18; I used regular gas; EVERYONE who saw it always asked me if it was NEW!!! Please help me find my old perfect car!

lookin for another

by from oak view ca on March 26, 2011

i have a bad back and my montero was the most comfortable vehicle i have ever owned . so much so that im looking for another one.i was in a head-on collision and my baby was a total loss.i cant seem to bring myself to even look at anything else but finding one within a hundred mi.i can afford is next to impossible.i miss the comfort,smoothness,dependibilityand man that heater and air con.is out of this world,sorry guys but its a great girl car turning radius and realy goes straight when your bizzy dealin with kids.im really sorry that i cant buy another one!!!!!!my husband tooooo!

2nd Montero I have owned. This is a big heavy suv

by from Cleve Ohio on September 1, 2012

this suv is heavy and has lexus type luxury. Great value if you don't mind 18 miles per gal. The cost per month is what you should consider. This is a great truck. I wish it had a higher quality leather like the older ones had. The alum rims are easily scratched but at 10 years old with 50,000 miles on it, its a heck of a lot better than a kia sorento for 25,000. I love it on the highway.

A true Diamond

by from Orlando, FL on October 7, 2011

We have a 2002 Montero Limited and we bought it used with 120,000 miles. It was in very good condition and a clean carfax. Took it to Mitsubishi and had a complete lookover and the previous owner took real good care of it with not a single mechanical or electrical issue for the exception of a brake actuator which was making a chirping noise which was covered under the 150,000 mile / 10 year warranty. This SUV is very smooth...engine and transmission operate like silk and ride quality is great! Interior is spacious with quality materials and the infiniti sound system is still very nice. Interior road noise is fairly low even at highway speeds. On normal pavement ride quality is smooth and absorbs uneveness and bumps very well. Take the Montero off road..and it shines very well handling any type of off road obstacle effortless. Gas milage isn't the greatest so don't expect exceptional MPG out of this big SUV. For the price you can buy these Monteros these days...you are gettting ALOT for your money plus something that is different on the roads today...you will get looks of appreciate in the Montero. This vehicle shows that Mitsubishi can build a world class vehicle and it won't hurt your pockets at all. With a repuation of impecable relaibility, a championship racing breed and heritage...you can't go wrong with the Montero.

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

by from Maple Grove, MN on November 28, 2011

Excellent beautiful vehicle. I put 22" rims, and looks classy. The onlt negative is that highway miles are 14 mpg even when driven carefully.

Great car!

by from charlotte, nc on February 23, 2010

Can't go wrong with a montero! it's nice for a great road trip...lots of space... and great for daily commute!

No complaints!

by from California on March 26, 2007

Purchased vehicle in Canada new. Have 45000 miles driving in all types of weather, with no complaints encountered. Only problem was the OEM tires that came on the vehicle, they were dangerous in winter driving conditions. This was overcome with a set of Cooper tires that took this SUV up the most demanding trails, winter or summer in comfort and with piece of mind.