2003 Outlander

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

$954 - $6,386  MSRP Range
2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

4.5

Have You Driven the 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander?

the best car ever

by duffy from lancaster co. Pa. on Thu Jul 01 2010

I totally love this suv. 4 cyl. that has plenty of pep but easy on gas. Lots of room and feels safe and secure and handles almost as good as my sports car. I feel I has combined all my needs into one car, sporty, great gas mileage, plenty of cargo space. Would definetly buy another one as a first choice and would drive the distance to get it.

Pratical with great road manners

by MikeVegas from Cary, NC on Mon Oct 23 2006

We bought this CUV new in 03 due to my wife being pregnant with our first child. We got the XLS AWD with all options. The arrangement of the seating and gearshift in the CR-V were uncomfortable. The RAV4 was too small. So we tried out the Outlander and liked it. We eventually got my wife another vehicle so, I inherited the Outlander in 04. The cons: could use more power and sound deadening (addressed in 04 model), thick A-pillars, large turning radius. The pros: build quality, exterior/interior styling, ride/handling, price (Mitsu dealers are motivated to sell), many available features. And it is roomy, even for me at 6 foot 2inches and 185 pounds. Overall, this car is easy to use and it is nice to see manufactures offer items like auto dimming mirrors and heated leather seats in the entry level cars. Innovative features include the auto/manual/adaptive transmission, cargo cover that can be stowed in the underfloor storage area, and the auto-off headlights. The semi-manual transmission works really well for exit ramps and merging; and it will not shift until you shift it. I think it handles extremely well and I guess that is one of the benefits of being car based. The ride feels firm but not jarring and it is fun to be able to take the curves aggressively when you want. Fuel consumption is middling; I usually get 22 and have gotten 26 occasionally. I usually have the AC on, even with the heat, so you could get a little better MPG than me. We were very impressed with this vehicle so we looked to Mitsu again when it came time to get my wife another vehicle. We decided on the Montero and we like it very much as well (despite Consumer Reports).

dependable!!!

by busy mom from Salem, Oregon on Wed Feb 08 2012

I got my 2003 Outlander brand new in 2003 and in 2012 I am ready for a bigger car now that I have 2 growing boys. I have only done basic maintenence, tires, brakes, oil and other fluids. Never an issue with reliability and I commute and now have over 162,000 miles! Absolutely a great car.

Best Car Ever Owned!

by mothersdream from Wendover,Ut on Mon Feb 16 2009

This car is even better than the 2008 models. Handles well, love the sportronic feature with the ability to switch from automatic to 4 speed with the touch of the shifter, nice roomy seating, love the back space room. Back seats fold down for more cargo space. Would definitely buy again!

Outlander...great SUV!

by Leo from Sacramento, Ca on Wed Dec 26 2012

Actually, our Outlander 03 had a radiator problem where the radiator sprung a leak which caused our car to overheat several times. We did not know that it was the problem and when we finally found out, it was a year and a half before we had the radiator replaced. Despite that, the Outlander has not really caused us that much problem. It was never in a repair shop except for that one. It is east to maintain and fun to drive. It is a bit sluggish during acceleration and I am pretty sure other SUVs will leave this car in the dust, but we are more about comfort and dependability than fast cars. It has brought us to 5 states with not much of complaint. We had our old reliable for 10 years now and it just kept going, especially after that radiator replacement. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, brakes and changed oil at the proper time and it gave me back great service in return. It does have problems tackling steep inclines and mountain roads, and I hope the next OUtlander designs had solved these problems. I also have a friend who has the AWD ( I have the front wheel drive), and he said he has not encountered a problem with it, all he spends with it are the usual maintenance.

Pretty good!

by Stephanie from Minneapolis/St. Paul on Mon Jan 23 2012

I bought this car in November 2011 with 113,000 miles on it for $6800 including tax and title. It has been really good in the snow; the AWD is great! I would definitely recommend this car for anyone who has a legnthy commute, and wants AWD/4WD. I am quite happy with the gas mileage, it's about 23 highway, although it seems like more to me. I fill up about every 7 or 8 days, $40 per tank. There are some quirks to the car. It's kind of suprisingly loud, which is weird since it's on the smaller side. And the heating dial was pinched so I have the mechanic turn the dial to hot in the winter, and cold in the summer. I could fix it for $270, but I'd rather just have him turn it biyearly. It doesn't hurt the car any. Also, my drivers-side windsheild wiper got stuck underneath the other one, so I just had them retime it which cost me $60. Other than those minor quirks, it's a great small/mid sized SUV, it gets up my really steep driveway like a pro! The interior is super classy, and I love the candy apple red exterior :)

Cheap to operate

by Matt from Peoria Il on Wed Mar 28 2018

Car is very reliable when maintained, seats four comfortably, steering arms seem to require ball joints and other misc steering omponents every two years or so. Engine runs great.

Good car for gas and extreme weather!!!

by Luis from Denver, CO on Wed Dec 05 2012

The AWD is great! I would definitely recommend this car for anyone who want AWD/4WD. The Engine from this year, 2003, has not enough HP (next year Mitsubishi added 20 hp to engine's performance) but adequate for a regular city and occasional highway drive. The problem start when you go to the mountains, too slow, that was probably the reason to mitsubishi improve the car with more 20 HP. I bought this car new, was some expensive for small SUV $23,000. I replace timing belt and water bump at 70,000 miles ($700),brakes, regular oil maintenance and filters, mi car has now 90,000 miles and continue running great. The other defect has this car in many years model is HVAC control switch, broke easy and is very hard to switch from heat to AC, I am surprised why mitsubishi didn't make any recall, because is a very comun this problem in all Outlander similar to this model, fix this problem cost around $400. I continue with mi Outlander and for the blizzards was amazing, for be honest I can't beleive this SUV was going to do great in this extreme weather condition. I can recomend buy this car used for save money, is a amazing saving gas car, perfect for the city and extreme weather conditions.

Good Car for the Money

by andiesmom from Long Island, NY on Wed Sep 06 2006

I've had my outlander for 3 yrs/50k miles and had no problems. Bought it when I was pregnant w/my daughter and used it for hauling alot of baby stuff around. And it handles very well in rough weather. It served us well but my only complaints are that it is way underpowered and gas mileage (betw 20-22) is bad for a 4 cyl.

Most reliable car I've owned

by Coldone from Chicago Illinois on Thu Aug 31 2017

Brought the car brand new in 2003 as a second car for the winter seasons. Kept the basic maintenance on schedule. Lacks speedy functionality but a good reliable car for around town errands. My Xls has 111480 miles on it. This car has lasted more then my expectations. Not to bad on long trips. Overall not a bad crossover for the money.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

There's no doubt consumers love vehicles that fall into the category of "SUV-lite."

Known alternately by such vague labels as "crossovers" and "sport wagons," these are products like the Honda CR-V and the Toyota RAV4 that provide many of the benefits of a bigger sport utility vehicle -- like a panoramic view of the road -- but with fewer of the hassles -- like a rough, truck-like ride or a tall step-in height.

Japanese automaker Mitsubishi Motors Corp., so beloved by hip young buyers, is somewhat late to this party with its 2003 Outlander, which is based on the same compact passenger car platform as the Lancer sedan. Still, the Outlander is a contender that should be given more than a passing... Read More