2009 Outlander

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander

4.1

Have you driven the 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander?

GREAT car for the price...

by ess_78201 from San Antonio, TX on Mon Jul 13 2009

I paid 23,500 for this vehicle. Right off that price is excellent compared to competitors. The Saturn Vue was at 23,000 as was the RAV 4 for the base model. The XLS model contains a 6 disk CD chager, 18 inch tires, a V-6 engine, an AUX jack behind the console, and radio controls on the steering wheel. Plus the seats have a leather trim and it scomes with fog lights. The automatic air is very nice in this Texas weather. The fuel economy on the V6 is excellent and the vehicle is light compared to the Toyota Tacoma I used to drive. If any one is considering the base model with the 4 cylinder engine, you may want to rethink that. The engine was a little weak when I test drove it and felt like my old Chevy Cavalier. The warranty is amazing and very comforting. Between you and me, my credit isn't amazing so I was charged a higher interest rate than other people may get, by paying double digits in interest, it really does provide peace of mind to have a 60 thousand mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 100 thousand mile power train warranty. The drop down tailgate is a nice feature as well. I teach and coach various sports and it's nice to load and unload things easily. When I purchased the vehicle I was shown the 3rd row seating and thought it was worthless. It's a mesh seat that is very small and uncomfortable. That is until I needed it. While it seats 5 I needed to make a short trip with 6 people. While that extra seat wasn't the most comfortable ride for my passanger, it got the job done and saved me an extra trip. As I said earlier, the features are great and you will pay the same amount for a loaded XLS model as you will for another SUV's base model. The vehicle has some nice speed to it and the chrome finish is a nice touch. I knowthe saying is that you get what you pay for. In this case, it's a good thing......

CrossOver of Choice

by 5Mits from yardley, pa on Thu Oct 06 2011

After test-driving the Rav 4, CRV and Rogue, the Outlander became the best choice for value, and practical functionality including the hands free phone and the very versatile hatch back. The actual mileage is better than advertised. This is a great car for the money when compared to similar, more expensive alternatives that did not have the room or the functionality of the Outlander. There is road noise at highway speeds, which can be muted by playing Sirius Radio, or a CD.

Not Bad for the Money.

by Joe from Anderson IN on Sun May 12 2013

I had test driven some 2010 Outlanders and was hooked on how nice they were to drive. I was also impressed how well equipped they are. I wasn't able to find a 2010 that I could afford but found this really nice 2009 instead. It was still under original factory warranty and it drove just as nice as the 2010's so I bought it. I'm not to crazy on the microfiber seats because the show the slightest dirt but it gives me an excuse to go wash and vacuum it. The seats are comfortable the kids have enough space, it runs great, and the computer learns you driving habits. So if you have a lead foot it's going to try to give you as many horses it can. I would like to point out the even thought there's a blue-tooth button on the steering wheel, and the cd player has buttons for 6 disc changer. They don't all come equipped with it. However all Mitsubishi's a pre-wired for it so you can add it later and installation is not that hard. Over all I am happy with it, and every chance I get to sneak it away from the spouse I do because it's fun to drive.

great car for the money

by diamondB from Baltimore, Md on Wed Dec 22 2010

I recently purchased a used 2009 Outlander XLS and it has lived up to all of my expectations. The Nav system is great, handling is outstanding, and gas mileage is better than advertised.

Nice car, great in snow

by Retired guy from Syracuse, NY on Sun Feb 21 2016

This is the first Japanese car I've owned, and I'm overall happy with it. The good: Decent on gas, the 4-cylinder gets 22 overall and I've hit as high as 28 on the highway. Love the sunroof, the Rockford Fosgate stereo is the best I've ever had in a car, and the car is better in snow than some cars are on dry pavement, and I live in the snowiest city in the US. The drop-down tailgate is a nice feature. The bad: Buzzy engine, slow pickup from a stop, but when the engine gets above 3500rpm or so, she really takes off. TPMS is a pain, parts are expensive if your shop has to get them from the dealer. Still trying to get used to the CVT, I prefer to feel a car shift. Other than expensive parts, all of the above are me being picky. It's a good car and I'd buy another in a second. Mine has 91,000 miles on it and I have no doubt it'll go another 91,000 with basic maintenance.

Great Sporty Practical SUV

by keith from Savannah, GA on Thu Mar 03 2011

I owned the 2009 mitsubishi outlander for 2 years it was a great crossover. I loved this vehicle very much. There were a few things i did not think of when buying this vehicle. one was comfort, whenever i took long road trips the part leather part fabric seats got VERY uncomfortable. the other thing i did not like was the road noise. it was great whenever i wanted to step on the throttle i would hear the engine but every other time it was annoying highway driving was pretty noisy too. so all that said i got rid of my mitsubishi, even tho i loved it, i traded it up for a honda pilot. the mitsubishi was a great suv and i might consider buying one again as a 3rd vehicle again.

Crossover that handles like a car.

by MSchafer from COLFAX, IA on Fri Apr 28 2017

Bought this vehicle a little over a year ago. Put almost 30,000 miles on it. Bought it with over 110,000 miles. Haven't had s single problem with it. Theonly reason I didn't rate 5 stars on everything is because of the cabin noise and low towing capability.

Rock Solid Reliability

by SevaP from Chandler, AZ on Thu Aug 31 2017

Excellent, very robust, open platform for driving in all conditions. Car just turned 100000miles and has nothing but regular oil/breakpad changes. I drive it in the light- medium difficulty offroad and it performs perfectly. 4WD makes it extremely good in the snow (we went a few times to Colorado/Utah and under extreme snow in the mountains) and it just goes. its ascetic for those who appreciates it, it has a very stiff and capable suspension for active driving, its a very clean bottom car design with no hoses or sensors or wires exposed - good for offroad gravel stones etc, manufacturing quality is impressive - all the boots, axels, tie rods are like new after 8 years in the heat. overall a great car

Bought new, 104K miles current

by Ndogg88 from Phoenix, AZ on Mon Jul 03 2017

I bought this vehicle new in 2009. I currently have 104K miles on it. Overall, I am pleased with this vehicle but I have never been excited about it, other than having a new car. I have the SE, 4 cylinder 2WD version. The styling still looks good compared to current vehicles. The LED taillights, chrome accents and nice wheels keep it current. The interior has always been less than stellar. It is pretty much all plastic and has fallen apart over the years and the black color has faded in the AZ heat. The back seat is pretty roomy and the reclining rear seats are nice. Cargo room is average. My biggest complaint is the 4 cylinder engine. It is dreadfully under-powered and should not be put in an SUV of this size. I tried to drive it up to Flagstaff from Phoenix (lots of uphill driving) and it overheated 2 times and was struggling to keep up with the speed limit. If you are going to buy this car used you can find some great deals, but go with the V6 engine. Handling and ride are right on par for that model year.

Does not recommend this car!!

Missing a great opportunity

by sce from York P.A on Wed Oct 14 2009

This vechile has great attributes ie. sytle,interior space,cvt transmission ect. However they have drop the ball on ride quality car feels every bump in the road,noise level inside the vehicle is awful,and the car raddles when on rough road sufaces.If they could fix these things the car would be ausome.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander

Halfway through this review, I realized I was convincing myself — one paragraph at a time — that I actually don't like the Mitsubishi Outlander, so I had to reverse course. See, the utilitarian in me wanted to give the crossover a thumbs-up. It's strong on all the practical fronts a family-minded shopper ought to weigh: cargo and seating versatility, reliability, safety, gas mileage and overall value. But so are a number of prominent competitors, and it's when you compare the Outlander with those vehicles that you realize you're left with a car that's far less refined than it ought to be. As a utility vehicle, the Outlander gets the job done. As something you and your family can enjoy... Read More