NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2018 Kicks

2018 Nissan Kicks

2018 Nissan Kicks

4.4

Have You Driven the 2018 Nissan Kicks?

Real value for money in a Kicks

by Rob from Las Vegas NV on Mon Jun 24 2019

I purchased a Nissan Kicks SR sub-Compact SUV last week. I just came out of a BMW X1 lease and will be spending a lot of time out of the country for work so thought I’d pick up something much cheaper that wasn’t sitting in the garage depreciating away. I’d owned a Nissan before and had a good opinion of the brand so when I saw their new Kicks and the tech that comes with the SR I was interested. In the flesh it’s a great looking sub-Compact. I agonized over the white with black roof, blue with white roof and orange with black roof options. In the end I went with the orange/black. Exterior: the styling is excellent. Fit and finish really good. Nothing looks “cheap” about it. Color options are abundant and the two-tone paint is just a $200 extra. Interior: First impressions are good. Nice styling. Good color combination in the seats and stitching. Yes a little “plastic” on the dash and door trims but the faux leather with double stitching across the front of the dash adds a upmarket feel - and remember the price point folks! The seats are really comfortable. Apparently they used a material NASA developed for the space program. Very roomy - lots of head room - plenty of leg room in the rear seat for two adults too. Massive windows give a great field of view front and rear. Driving: Nice. It’s only a 1.6 liter motor but accelerated nicely up to 75mph on the freeway. Very nippy around town. Does it drive like a BMW? No. But again, remember the price point folks. There’s no way you’re making high speed overtaking maneuvers - but again, you know you’re buying a 1.6 liter motor going in and agin, and do I have to say it again? ...remember the price point folks! The Tech: Keyless entry, keyless start, blind spot monitor, 360 degree camera, right hand curb parking camera, rear backup camera (with moving guide lines), Sirius satellite radio, Apple CarPlay (and the Android version if you need it) plus the more expected cruise control and steering wheel controls. Trunk: not huge but has a privacy cover. It fits two medium Home Depot moving boxes under the cover and two large boxes with the cover removed. With the 64/40 second row seats laid down there’s a surprising amount of space and plenty to carry longer items. Note that there is a 2” or so step from the truck to the seats when laid down, it’s not perfectly flat. But not a big deal to me. So what would I change if was designing this beaut little beast? (I’ll add a few notes about each of these below): - Add more storage space - Add an arm rest with two cup holders into the “60” side of the 60/40 folding second row seats. - Increase the size of the gas tank. I’ve done about 200 miles mix of freeway and city driving over the last few days since I purchased this. At 30-35 mpg I thought I’d be able to just about drive to LA and back. Wrong! I’m watching the gas gauge and realized the gas tank must be about the size of a lawnmower. Well a little bit of an exaggeration. But you get my point. The lack of storage is a real bummer. To help fix this I purchased two plastic trays from Bed Bath and Beyond and some large Velcro strips so I could secure a tray under each of the front seats. Viola! Easy to reach under the seat and left out to get what I’ve stored. How much would it cost to add these trays as slide-outs in the build? Not much. On top of that it’s obvious there is no coffee cup holders in the rear. Not cool Mr Nissan! Overall I’d highly recommend this car. Obviously the jury is out on reliability - only time will reveal the answer to that. But at its price point it’s a rocking deal.

A very nice car

by Rubia from Deltona on Sun Jul 29 2018

This car met all my needs and it's a great looking car to drive and to look at it and it is very comfortable inside

I FELL IN LOVE

by goldencross from Freeport, FL on Mon Aug 06 2018

I was going to test drive & buy a Nissan Rogue Sport. The Kicks arrived at the dealership so I gave it a spin. It was exactly what I wanted. It gets great gas mileage & it is under $20k. It feels like a luxury vehicle.

My Kicks SR...

by SJ_45 from Fairfield, Texas on Sun Mar 24 2019

I've owned my 2018 Kicks for three months and have put 7,000 miles on it. I have to be fair, so as a little upfront "disclaimer," I bought the Kicks after owning a 2013 Altima SL for 4 years, which I bought used and LOVED. However, after putting 100,000 miles on it quicker than I thought I would, I needed to trade it in with negative equity (there were other issues with the car that I couldn't afford to fix). So, it's important to understand I was a little spoiled before buying the Kicks. First, the Pros... The car seems to get decent gas mileage. By that, I mean that the electronic gauges indicate I get an everage of 32.5 mpg. Keep in mind that I put a minimum of 70 miles per day 5 days a week on this car, with 60 of those miles being low traffic highways in 55 to 70 mph speed zones. I love the parking assist cameras. These show an aerial view of the spot I'm pulling in or out of. After 30 years of driving, I'm still not the best at parking a vehicle, so this is a big plus for me. I also love the blind spot sensors. These alert both while driving and while pulling out of a parking space. Living in east Texas where tons of people drive oversized pick up trucks, with a car this small, that's a BIG plus when getting out of parking spaces! I like having two USB ports for charging that the back passengers can use. My teenagers find this the most important feature of the car lol. The backseat and cargo area are surprisingly roomy for the compact size of the vehicle. I love having a removable hard shell privacy cover for the cargo area as well. Finally, I like the way my Kicks looks on the outside. I get questions and compliments on it. It's a cute little car! Now the Cons... My main complaint is the size of the gas tank. It's like between 10 and 11 gallons. I literally have to get gas like every other day. Two and a half days, tops. I guess I don't understand why they'd build a car with great gas mileage, knowing consumers with long commutes would buy it, and give it a gas tank that tiny. The seats are like sitting on concrete. No exaggeration. It takes me 40 minutes to get to work, and yes, I'm a curvy girl, but my behind shouldn't start hurting the way it does after driving this car for only a short distance. There is one arm rest, for the driver of course... one. It's about 2 inches wide, covered with scratchy material, and not padded well at all. So, it's lose-lose whether you're the driver (uncomfy rest) or the passenger (no rest at all). For some reason, the designers thought it a good idea to use some cheap silver-coated pieces in the "high traffic" area of the arm rest/handle on the inside of the doors. Within a week, this looked scratched up and old. Not thought out well at all. The cameras, while I love the parking and blind spot assists, have to be cleaned a wiped down EVERY SINGLE DAY. Even after that, the rear one still looks blurry. Not once since I drove it off the lot has it looked like it did when I did the test drive. Now for the issues I hope to get fixed when I get the chance to take it back to Nissan for work... The technology has bugs. When I try to use my ipod (yes, I know, old school), the songs randomly skip, like literally similar to a scratched 45 record (also old school, I know). I had to switch my music to a USB flash drive, which works, but I lost a lot of options that come with ipod (for on-screen menus, etc.). The flash drive works, but I wish I could use my ipod. The display screen in the car (used for everything, of course... radio, ipod, satellite, parking cameras, etc.) doesn't work sometimes. By that, I'd say an average 3 times a week it freezes up or blanks out. I've had to pull over, turn the car off, and restart to get it working again. There's also the A/C - heater issues. The temperature doesn't adjust according to what the read out indicates. It literally blows either really hot, or cold. I can't feel the in-between temperatures or get comfortable a lot of the time. To be fair, I will update the last few paragraphs after my visit to the Nissan service shop.

Does not recommend this car!!

Sporty And Fun To Drive

by Julee from Lees Summit Mo on Sat Aug 11 2018

This car is fun to drive and makes great gas mileage. Interior styling could be better as the car does not have a console to store things in and the arm rest is not even with the drivers door arm rest. The 7"screen is easy to see and user friendly.

It is a cute sporty car

by Marie from SANFORD on Sun Aug 26 2018

This met my needs. It is good on gas. Perfect size. It is stylish. I like it because it if off the ground, but not too much

First new car that I have owned, was very good

by Feddy.v from Jacksonville,FL on Wed Jun 05 2019

This car is well equipped if you get the SR model. The only thing that I did not like was the brake assist , I do not like help slowing down. This car is an excellent choice for beginning drivers with the blindspot monitor rearview camera and brake assist. I would recommend the car to all those who want a easier drive than most entry level cars.

Snow in air cleaner bad design sets codes

by H crossman from Incalls mi on Wed Feb 13 2019

Not impressed with the air flow to motor bad design snow gets in then pops up codes that put car in low power mode very dangerous

Does not recommend this car!!

Went from a Jaguar to a Kicks

by BEACHMAN from Newport Beach, California on Wed Aug 21 2019

I Love this kicks, I run around town, or freeway it runs and feels great GREAT gas mileage AC works great! I have to remind myself to check gas tank I forget it gets such good mileage... BTW I'm 74 and ZOOM ZOOM

Great bang for your buck!

by peachy_keen from Atlanta, GA on Thu Aug 29 2019

This car had a ton of storage space. It got me where I needed to be while still providing style & functionality. It has great gas mileage and entertainment system for road trips.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2018 Nissan Kicks

The verdict:

SUV, hatchback, tall wagon — whatever you want to call it, the Kicks delivers excellent value and practicality in a small package.

Versus the competition:

The Kicks doesn't drive as well as some of its contemporaries, but its packaging, features and fuel economy all match up favorably.

The Nissan Juke was famous for its funky styling and for the fact that it was one of the few small SUVs that was actually pretty fun to drive. However, the Juke was expensive and not very practical, not to mention far from a best-seller. So when Nissan went back to the drawing board to come up with a replacement, it went in a very different direction.

While the new 2018 Nissan Kicks may lack the fun-to-drive nature of the Juke, it's better in every other way. It has a roomy interior, lots of technology for this class and great value. And if you want funky styling, it's still available in a few different two-tone paint jobs that make it stand out on the road.

Is It an SUV?