2004 Murano

2004 Nissan Murano

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 2004 Nissan Murano?

Breathe of fresh air

by Kenny from Mn on June 12, 2012

Its the perfect vehicle for the roads of Minnesota. It's gas mileage is off the chain. I drive a lot and save a lot, if you know what i mean. the Variable transmission is incredible. besides a Mercedes this is the best vehicle i have driven. It is yet to give me problems and is ready for the trip no matter where you are going. I love this vehicle!!!

Great Car - I bought a new one I liked it so much

by Bay Area Driver from SF Bay Area on December 26, 2011

I bought the car new and put 96000 miles on it. The only work done on the car other than routine maintenance was brakes at around 50k miles and a new plastic grill because sub zero temps on a trip wrinkled the chrome plating. AWD works great in snow. I am a tall person and found the seats to be very comfortable. One downside is that it is hard to see out the back to park. I bought a 2010 model Murano to replace this one. It has a backup camera and even better seats!

Best car in bad weather I ever owned

by 2doxyzlong from Richmond, VA on May 25, 2018

It's going to live forever! 14 years old and still going strong, drives great. I bought it brand new, it's had the alternator replaced twice, and just maintenance. No problems other than cosmetic with age.

I love Roxy!

by TereMoreno from Orange cove on May 29, 2017

Ive named my Nissan Murano Roxy! Im overall satisfied with this awesome car. Has so many features. Excellent space. I wouldnt dream if owning anything better atm.

Most reliable care I've owned

by shenderson from Wildwood, FL on July 18, 2017

I've had this car for about two years now, and it's been pretty reliable. Because it is older, it's had some issues since I've bought it, but it's gotten me from point A to point B with no problem.

Great performance, lower end trim quality.

by CKCKCK from PHOENIX on October 5, 2017

This vehicle has always run GREAT! Quite the performance but lacked in overall quality of interior trim (sun shields/door locks/"fake leather" seating surfaces) Plenty of room in front and rear seats and lots of storage at rear hatch. Rear AC lacked good air flow and with the amount of torque the peppy engine generated, it did go through motor mounts.

Gets better over time

by CarNut from Cambridge, MA on May 29, 2012

We purchased this car new in late 2004 and have been very happy with the car since day one. As owners of several small suv's over the years we've had a lot to compare this car to, and overall it's the best one we've owned so far, particularly for the price we paid and total cost of ownership. Things like the CVT transmission make the car unique, offering great low end power and a no shifting all the way up to highway speed. This makes the ride quality excellent, and gives the car lots of power with very good gas mileage. Winter driving is also exceptional, the big wheels and wide tires provide a good ride and amazing control in snow and ice. We've had a few annoyances though. One problem that is common for this car is the sun visor(s) fail over time and won't stay in the up position, which can be really annoying, they're expensive to replace too - upwards of $200 for a new visor which really surprised me. Right now we're making do with no visor on the drivers side. We've had some electrical issues too. Had to replace an alternator, and the power outlet is prone to breaking free of the mounting, leaving it dangling into the passenger side seating area. This isn't a major problem, but its a little shoddy, and disappointing for an otherwise great car. Overall the car has been great. We love the design, it's easy to drive in the city and great on the highway. Maintenance is low, and it's got great ride, power, and gas mileage. I'd recommend it.

Mixed review

by Roberto from Philadelphia, Pa on January 27, 2012

Bought my 04 Murano new. I had a problem with the drive system transfer case leaking after 3 years. Now I have a noise that sounds like the timing chain. Research online indicates this a common, very expensive problem on these early Muranos. I like the styling of the car.

Sweet Ride!

by Louisville Cardinals love Nissans from Louisville, KY on August 12, 2008

About a month ago we bought a 2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD, color mid-night blue with tan leather. It is a sweet car. We had such success with our 1999 Maxima, that we probably won't buy anything other than Nissan or Infiniti. The Maxima has 150k on it and has never been in the shop for any major mechanical repair. The Murano gets pretty decent gas mileage for an AWD. I have been tracking the last couple of weeks and it is a little over 21 MPG mixed driving, and we got up 25 MPG on cruise control set at 65 mph. A much improvement from my 2004 Explorer we traded in, which only average a hair over 15 MPG. We bought this with 53k on it, and opted for the extended warranty due to the CVT transmission. I've heard these are a nightmare if they go out and you are stuck with a $4-5k bill. For piece of mind we choose the basic extended powertrain warranty, at a very fair price from the dealer. I truely cannot find anything negative to say about this car, other than I wish it had an AUX port for my iPod. This car handles as well, if not better, than my friends 2002 X5 Bimmer. The pick-up is amazing. Great car and would recommend to anyone who wants a decent MPG SUV that is fun to drive.

acura rl

by car head Mike from new york on January 10, 2014

HUGE DISAPOINTMENT had this car for 5 months had to get this car toed 5 times problems after problems after problems this car been in the shop more than its home the car looks brand new everything is going down hill on it spent 2500 on the car these past 5 months my old Kia spectra ran better than this I got fired from my job because of this unreliable car never will I buy a Nissan AGIAN they need to get it together

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2004 Nissan Murano

I love the way this vehicle looks. The marketing term Nissan coined to describe it is "The Urban SUV." It's sleek, modern and sophisticated. Not everyone sees it the way I do, however. A friend of mine commented that its shape is reminiscent of a shoe. I don't agree with her about that, but considering the fact that I spend so much time in my car, I think I might qualify as the little old lady who lived in a shoe.

The interior of my test vehicle came with standard cloth seats. I'm typically not a fan of cloth seats (mainly because they're too difficult to clean), and these ones are no exception. They do, however, look great. These seats look and feel like suede. A leaky sippy cup in the backseat, though... Read More