Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1998 Pathfinder

1998 Nissan Pathfinder

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 1998 Nissan Pathfinder?

Love it

by JDM kid from CT on Thu Mar 05 2009

My girlfriend bought her 98 Pathfinder last year for her first car. She didn't feel it was girly enough so she doesn't drive it anymore and now she has a different car. Rather then selling it, I bought it off of her and I love it. I use it as my daily driver and enjoy the ride everyday. The only thing I don't like is the 4WD sometimes is hard to engage, and the muffler is starting to get prety rusty. But neither of these are a direct reflection on the vehicle, but rather it being 11 years old. All in all I will say that I will never sell the Pathfinder, I will drive it until it can not drive any longer. But don't expect to get 30mpg. You can't have it all....

Most Reliable car I've owned

by Traveling Man from Mississippi on Thu Dec 13 2012

I purchased this vehicle used about 7 years ago and it now has 240,000 miles and ain't slowing down.

Best vehicle that i have had.

by old school drive a car forever from High Point, NC on Tue Mar 15 2016

I bought my 1998 pathfinder in 2009 with 130,000 miles on it. Its now 2016 still have it and now has 240,000. Put 3 sets of tires on it. Distributor cap, battery new hoses and belts including the timing belt. Muffler, tune up new wires and plugs, blower motor brakes, and shocks and struts. No major engine work and no transmission work just changed the fluid. I can not complain at all, just every now and then a repair or common maintenance that would be done on any other car. I see 300,000 easy. 6 cylinder

Pretty good SUV so far

by 1998 Pathfinder LE 4x2 from Birmingham, AL on Sun Jun 08 2008

My wife bought her 1998 Pathfinder brand new after graduating from high school. She still drives it to this day, has had no major problems, only thing we have had done is the replacement of struts and shocks on all 4 wheels, routine oil changes, brakes, rotors, and tires. Overall has been a very reliable truck. Now has 153,000 miles as of 6/2008. The only cons that I have noticed is when shifting into overdrive the transmission will studder a little before completely engaging into O/D (but has been doing this since about 65,000 miles). Could be a little more comfortable on long trips. Doesnt handle very well on the interstates at high speeds, especially when wind is gusty, tends to blow the truck all over the lane, thus the 3 star on handling.

Long Live the Pathfinder

by thicktrunk69 on Sat Dec 09 2017

I recently got an estimate saying my Pathfinder’s trade-in value was less than 400 dollars ... but to me, it’s priceless. This car was my first, I learned to drive in it, took and passed my road test in it, and even drove the love of my life around in it on our first date. Handed down to me, it wasn’t the coolest car at first but over the years, this car has proven to me time and time again its worth. This car has been in and gotten itself out of ditches, and has kept myself and my family safe. Complete with an assortment of quirks: some rust, poor stereo, fallen muffler on several occasions, this car has character. Battle scars. One tough biddy. Reliable. In almost her twentiest year, the Pathfinder is simply the best. I’ll never forget the connection with this car.

nice for the money

by love the mud from englewood tn on Fri Aug 09 2013

Has a few mechanical issues but a good deal nonetheless but with some work it will be an extremely reliable vehicle

Almost at 300.000 miles still running strong.

by AlexN on Thu Jul 13 2017

This truck is solid, the motor in it seems to outlast the body. They all suffer from rust really bad

long haul pathfinder

by kms1990 from fort worth,tx on Mon Jun 25 2012

i had a 98 pathfinder from 2007-2010 it never gave me any issues and would still be on the road today had someone not totaled it the only thing on the outside i would have changed was the tailgate styling kinda bland but not a major thing interior was great engine felt slightly under powered but it was a 3.3l v6 trying to pull a 4500 pound suv and it got about 16-18mpg not bad for an suv built when gas was cheap great car buy it if you can afford gas bill but you shouldnt need much else for it just regualr scheduled maintainace

Solid, Solid, Solid

by 98 Pathy from New York on Mon Jan 19 2009

I bought my 98 Pathfinder with 103K on it. I was simply hoping for a reliable station vehicle, and was extremely surprised to find how much I liked driving this. Even with all those miles on it, it rode and handled very well. However, being handy with a wrench, I dedided to replace a few maintenance components like rubber bushings, tie rods, and ball joints. It already had good shocks and struts. WOW, this thing is as good as the day it came off the showroom floor. There are no rattles, squeaks, or thumps. It handles extremely well, and a K&N filter seemed to really help it get more out of the revs. The leather interior is top quality, better than I see on most new luxury vehicles. Also, having driven many AWD vehicles, I am still amazed at the 4x4 capabilities of this truck. And it doesn't give up a thing on the road. It is smooth, and handles like a new car. Very little lean in on turns, no harshness. Oh, and the most important part---it is built like a tank. As reliable as can be. This is one of those rare vehicles, that if you simply maintain it, it will easily give 200K+ without any headaches. Like I said, I wanted something I could beat up, and now I find myself babying it, because I can feel that it has tons of life left on it. I expect to take great care of it and get many years of service. You can't go wrong with this SUV.

Rock Solid

by 98 Pathy SE from Westchester, NY on Thu Apr 05 2012

This SUV is as solid a vehicle as you will find. The first SUV to use a uni-body frame, it was the design that modern crossovers are based upon. Handles and rides better than any of it's comtemporaries, and most importantly, the thing will run FOREVER. There will be minor repairs with age (rear trailing arm bushings need to be replaced every 60-80K), but mechanically, it is as bullet proof as can be. BTW, when people complain about the highway handling on this vehicle, it's the rear bushings. You can't see them so they go unnoticed by many. A couple hundred, and she will drive good as new. Anyone who knows these cars knows about this issue. Thiose that don't, complain that it doesn't handle well. They don't know enough to replace a simple part of the suspension. It is VERY easy to work on as well. Most problems can be easily fixed with a few turns of a wratchet. Always amazes me that at 150K, I have no rattles, squeaks, or major issues. Once, I accidently left the radiator empty while doing a fluid change and rushed out to do something. I ended up trying to drive 35 miles with an overheated engine late at night on the highway. Steam flying everywhere, just trying to get to the next Thruway exit. It was red hot, and for a long time. I would have bet money that the gasket was blown or even the block should have cracked. $80 radiator and some Prestone later, she was absolutely perfect. Amazing. It has lots of room for people and cargo, and is very versatile. Not a sports car, but comfy on long trips. Usually the car falls apart long before the drivetrain will give out on these things. With good care, you can easily get 300K out of it. Figure on a couple hundred dollars in repair every year or so. Small things like ball joints, belts, etc. And, it will serve you quite well for a very long time.

1 2