2004 Quest

3.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

2004 Nissan Quest SL

by Mom o' four from Ottawa Ontario on August 9, 2013

We bought the Quest 2 months after our 4th child was born. He is now 9 and we still have him and the van ;) Prior to this we had a Grand Caravan and before that a Ford Explorer SUV. I love this van, I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off or the kids all move out. It has lots of room, love the dip in the rear for packing. We have fit ski and snowboard gear plus luggage for all of us in easily (just had to pop the bindings off a couple of snowboards to slide them under the seats) It drives beautifully on the highway, nice in town. Lots of room in the cabin, we do travel with everyone (including a large dog) and are all comfy. The turning radius is not great so parking in tight spots can be tricky. I do like that the engine has some attitude as I can be a bit of a leadfoot. Milage is fair, 11.4litres per 100km, The one we have is loaded with leather seats, seat warmers, AC, DVD system, etc. No issues with any of these. Maintenance has been reasonable, just had the rotors and brakes redone (2nd time in 177 000km for the rotors) and some front end work. Averaging about $2000-3000 per year for maintenance in a 9 year old vehicle is not so bad. We have not had any of the typical issues (water leakage, early brake wear etc.) I need new tires soon but have not found this excessive either, I still have the factory summers, and it is my front snows that are wearing down. One thing now is the back hatch has been acting up and occasionally sticks requiring someone to crawl in the back to pop it. This is new and I will have the dealer look at it at our next service. The reason we bought this van is that the Caravan kept breaking down and I needed something reliable. This van has been that and more. Would definitely buy another!

Safest vechicle I ever Owned

by Bill from Philadelphia on January 29, 2012

Did not realize how smart was my selection untill one day some nut rammed allmost @ 60 mile speed on the diriver side and the only reason I am alive because of Quest van's safety standards.

Still running strong

by navigator from Long Beach,Ms on January 8, 2016

At 176,000 miles this vehicle has been extremely reliable. Bought new - one among the last 10,000 built that year after the Japanese engineers cleaned up the quality control issues at the Canton plant. Engine does not use one drop of oil. Original transmission. Have maintained all items. No A/C issues. Tires easily get 45 - 50,000 miles. Finally replaced timing chains due to worn guides @ 174,000 miles. Extremely heavy duty timing chains. No electrical issues. Finally replaced front rotors @ 150,000 miles. Overall everything seems to last longer than expected. Will keep for awhile longer.

Awful Minivan

by Tired from Fredericksburg, VA on November 25, 2014

I use to love the Quest. I had a 94 Quest for 10 years with no issues. Bought the 04 Quest new and after hitting 100,000 miles have had nothing but problems and too much money being put into this van. The check engine light kept coming on. The timing chain and water pump were replaced. It worked for a while and started acting up again. I would be sitting at a light and would have to shift into park or neutral to give it gas to avoid it cutting off on me. The senors were changed numerous times, would work for a while and then act up. I finally had the engine oil changed and the mechanic said there was sludge in it. He cleaned it out and said to only use Castrol and certain other oils that I can't think of at the moment. Now each time I get an oil change, I have them clean out the sludge and add Castrol, no more problems. The radio has stopped working. I only get static and a clicking sound. The DVD player is still working. The digital milage and gas displays some of the numbers. One of the rear lights keeps falling out of the ceiling. The van rattles so much on the inside, doors rattle, 3rd row seat rattles and has rattled since I had it. The dealer had it 3 times but could never fix the rear seat rattle. The van is roomy and has a nice ride. The headrest are uncomfortable on long trips. Good gas milage but with the other issues, it's not worth it. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan...EVER!!! I like the style of Nissan vehicles but...NOT.

Does not recommend this car!!

Worst vehicule.

by EnoughofNissan from Montreal on September 14, 2017

This is the worst vehicule i ever bought (Even sold from my brother). Don't get me wrong ,this van shows a lot of nice potentiel like roomy,gaz efficient but when you buy a used car ,you chk if its reliable,this one "IS NOT RELIABLE". The dealer is aware of the problems but won't tell you (Hey! they want your money). Here is the few problems:radio/audio/video system shots down with anoying sounds(very nice from japan technology "I am sarcastic!),chk engine lights on,sensors on the mufler lights on (mufler is built only a the end anti corrosion but the rest gets corroded very fast),the electric door in winter gets stuck. At the end i had to change the brakes and its was seized ,the dealer toasted all the sensors to replace just the pads(sensor 300$/each)of course i didn't change the sensors (another light on in the dash. Anyway if you read this and you intend to buy one (year 2004)I warn you...

Does not recommend this car!!

Perfect for a big family

by Me89 from on June 23, 2017

I have a beautiful family of 6 and this van is very spacious. I've had my van for a little over a year and it has provided my family with all the room that we need. With 4 children it provided easy access for them to get in and out without having to worry about someone's hand getting slammed in the door.

Our Quest helped save our lives.

by Thankful Mom from on July 15, 2010

We owned a 2004 Quest for nearly 5 years. I intended to drive it until the doors fell off. But a fully loaded dump truck changed that plan. We were in a front end crash that totaled the van. We were hit by the dump truck and also hit an embankment. The length and weight of the Quest reduced the kinetic energy that moved through the vehicle due to the impact. The front end crash zone worked beautifully. My 2 young children were in the middle row in their car seats and seat belts. They were not physically injured. We were all able to walk away from a crash that would have been fatal in a standard vehicle. I loved my Quest before the crash and I love her even more now. I WILL get another Quest. The space is awesome! The wide seats are great. Having no middle console allowed me to walk through the entire vehicle. This is a huge safety bonus when dealing with kids in a parking lot or rest area since I could stay in the car and keep doors locked. It is also easier in rainy weather to load everyone, including Mom, in through one door quickly. There were a few minor issues like one of the side door lights popping loose when we hit a bump and a rear a/c vent cover that came loose when adjusted. But after experiencing that crash and being saved by the size of this van, who cares about those minor things. Thanks Nissan for making such a safe family vehicle. I am looking forward to owning another Quest.

AWESOME

by RB VAN from FLORIDA on May 22, 2010

I HAVE 94 AND NOW A 2004 AND WILL BUY A 2014 WHEN AVAILABLE OF COURSE. JUST TAKE ONE FOR A DRIVE AND YOU WILL BUY ONE.

lots of room for people/cargo

by traveler from Livermore,CA. on February 13, 2010

I got use to the space a mini van provided, and after the kids left on their own we still kept it for travel. We just throw in our gear sometimes 2 bikes and golf bags, no need to pack.With 68k miles no real problems with it an on the road gas mpg is at 24+.

We love our weird looking minivan!

by Car Guy Daddy from Richmond, VA on May 7, 2011

The Quest has been a wonderful minivan to own. A powerful V6, interesting interior & exterior styling, & very comfortable. The center stack gauge cluster takes a while to get used to, especially at night. We haven't had a single major problem with our Quest. I highly recommend it.

1 2 3