2001 Sentra

$908 - $4,588  MSRP Range
2001 Nissan Sentra

3.6

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have you driven the 2001 Nissan Sentra?

I will miss you Sentra!

by Lol-lytta from Montreal Cananda on Tue Feb 08 2011

I purchased a 2001 Nissan Sentra SE back in 2005 and NEVER got problem since. I love the exterior look as well as the interior. A lot of place to stock things, all automatic, sunroof, harder suspension and a lot of power. Of course I had to change the breaks, a caliper and a rotor....in 5 YEARS!!! We have tough winters here and it always started without a problem. I think it's the BEST sentra Nissan ever made! The 2L engine is undestructible! If you have to buy a used car and you see a 2001 Sentra SE to sell...don't hesitate and BUY IT!...BTW, I'm selling mine as my husband just bought me a brand new 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX...bought ME hein? :)...I'll miss you Sentra!

good little car

by yomama from Houston on Tue Jun 16 2009

I have driven this car sence it was new in 2001. It now has over 150,000 miles on the odometer. She's a very reliable car, the only problem it has ever had was when the transmission went out at 130,000. The only other thing I have had to do to it is change fluids belts tires and things like that. Gas mileage is the best part about it, I get at least 30 mpg city and 35 highway.

Fun Relible Car

by Longtooth from Bellingham, WA on Sat May 07 2011

We bought Sentra SE with 18,000 miles and it is now at 79,000 miles. We give it regular maintenance, no unusual troubles whatever. It is a kick to drive but don't expect it to float over every bump like a limo. The wrong size battery will cause a short from the hood contacting a battery terminal. Possibly this is why some report frequent battery failure. I buy an OEM size and have had no issues.

Reliable and sporty SE

by Sentra SE fan from Bellingham, WA on Fri Aug 28 2015

I have had a 01 Sentra SE (2.0L) for over 10 years and it is now at 110K miles. No significant problems with regular oil change and service. Only recently the passenger side sun shade internal ratchet mechanism stopped holding up the shade. Tires make a difference in handling and noise. Use the right size and change when down to 10% or the car may shimmy at around 70 mph. I just put on new stock size Bridgestone Ecopia+ tires and the ride is smooth and quiet with good response. 3-6 inches of snow is no big problem with snow tires and I live in area with steep roads. The stock sound system is not so great sounding.

A bittersweet car

by How about my real name, Robert from Omaha, NE on Sun Nov 03 2013

The car is average for its year interior exterior styling etc. It has amazing gas mileage at about 25-30 mpg avg but has given me a lot of problems from coils to head gasket, to coolant wasting, engine shaking etc etc. The window motor goes out. A great car until you hit the 100k mark. Nissan disappointed me with this one PERSONALLY with MY SPECIFIC vehicle, I cannot speak for everyone else's. I bought the car brand new and Its lasted me until now, so I guess a decade isn't horrible. Cheers.

Total Disapointment

by Pgh-GEM from Pittsburgh, PA on Tue Aug 22 2006

I've owned this Sentra GXE since November 2001. In June of 2003 I noticed that there was rust on both front door bottom gaskets. Both front doors were rusted thru the paint. Nissan would not do anything about it. At 33,000 miles the automatic transmission needed replacement, as well as the driver's side power window motor. At about 40,000 liles the passenger side power window motor needed to be replaced...etc.

Great economy vehicle

by TomFL from Florida on Sun Oct 15 2006

Bought an SE new in 2001, so far has 70,000 miles on and have had no reliability issues at all. The car is fairly comfortable and handles better than alot oc econo cars. Has all the options I wanted and everthing works great. The paint on the roof is begining to fade, but I do live in South Florida with no garage.

01 Sentra

by Bart from Minnesota on Thu Sep 11 2014

I have owned this car since 2001. 13 years later it still runs. I have 137,000 miles on it and I have to say it has been a good car. However, I have had my fare share of problems. I have replaced the starter on this car three times since I purchased it and have had to replace other items as we'll such as break calipers and roters. But I will say this the engine still runs like it did after it's first oil change. The car does handle well in good conditions but because of how light it is it does not do well in the snow. Being from Minnesota this is very important to me. Overall I will say that it has had a good run but it is time for a change.

great car

by Urban Traveller from Ontario Canada on Thu Jan 23 2014

I have had this car for about 21/2 years and it had 124000 miles on it .. It is a very reliable car, but the brakes do not like the wet weather as they make a noise until they are dry. I have had to replace tires , which is normal wear and tear, but just recently I have had to replace the front coils and struts on both sides.

Lemon

by Burned on a Nissan from Mesa, Arizona on Sun Aug 17 2008

This car has had one problem after another since purchased. Spending approximately $500-$1000 every year on repair work. So far car has needed new tires every year -dealer unable to locate problem. Rattle under front end when driving/turning. Windshield leaks, drivers side window does not seal and automatic windows have needed work. Driver's door will not open from inside. Water pump replaced, air conditioning repaired twice. 2 Pulley's needing replaced (AC & Water pump pulley). Engine electronics replaced. The car was purchased in 2001 and has needed this much work over the last 7 years (150,000). Most of this work was completed in the first 5 years.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2001 Nissan Sentra

Many people have approached me inquiring about which SUV to purchase. But watch gas prices spike briefly and suddenly everyone wants to know which economy car to buy.

Talk about a fickle public.

Fickle or not, the Sentra is just one of many small cars competing for your attention.

Redesigned for the 2000 model year, the Sentra has one mission: capture small-car and first-time buyers. The new model, while not a standout, is still a very credible candidate for the fuelish among us.

The Sentra comes as a four-door sub-compact and is available in four trim levels: base XE, mid-level GXE and top-of-the-line SE. A California-only CA model rounds out the line.

Nissan provided an SE model for... Read More