Read or write a review.

2003 Nissan Xterra

2003 Nissan Xterra

Change Year
Average based on 15 reviews

Reliable but no stranger to the gas pump

by from Texas on March 22, 2011

Bought this 2003 Xterra used with 100k miles. Had it 3 months now and only complaint is poor gas mileage (about 17 - 18). I have a 4dr F250 that gets better mileage. Other than that its great. But dont expect much extra headroom if you are over 6 foot tall!

Great Ride

by from Hickory, NC on June 17, 2006

This car drives extremely smooth. It has tight steering that is easy to steer and the brakes on this car are wonderful. The seats are comfortable & it has all the amenities.

Awesome SUV

by from San Antonio, TX on October 10, 2013

Really awesome SUV I love the exterior design and the simple interior look. Only issues with it I found was the available performance. Nissan could of done better with there 4 Cylinder engines and added some kind of performance option like a turbo, supercharger or a ECU upgrade to give the 4 Cylinder engine enough power to do the things I do with my Xterra. Also didn't like the fact that 4WD is not an option with the 4 cylinder engine, but can be easily fixed with a transmission swap out of a Nissan Hardbody pickup (both vehicles have the exact same 4 cylinder engine). The interior is very stylish and easy to work with. Love how simple it is to remove the interior to do any interior modifications. Its a awesome SUV can't complain about. I plan on keeping my Xterra for a long time

We have two

by from Arizona on January 4, 2014

Great cars. Budget friendly four wheel drive car. Both have been very reliable. Each of my daughters have one. They feel very confident when they drive in the snow. Gas mileage not great and acceleration a little slow, but pulling trailers to go to school etc no problem.

Love this car!

by from on August 21, 2014

My first car ever and I don't ever want to let it go. I'm going on 150k miles and I've only had to do a tune up and routine oil changes here and there.

198k miles and still going strong

by from Stillwater, NY on August 4, 2014

I bought this brand new, it was been everywhere from the Adirondack Mnts, to the NC Beach. 198k miles and I have only replaced the timing belt, starter and normal things like brakes and rotors. Best set of tires for it Nitto Grappler, expensive but worth every penny, 85 miles on the tires, Mnts, Sand and road. AMAZING. I have also been re-rended Twice and each time, barely any damage, other cars totaled! She is a tank

nice all around ride

by from Georgia on August 7, 2013

Good power, good reliability, room for gear, kids, etc, overall I am very satisfied with the vehicle.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Amazing Car

by from Nashville, TN on August 18, 2013

Highly recommended, handles very very very very very very very very very very very very very very well

2003 Xterra

by from PA on February 5, 2007

I bought my 2003 Xterra new with 16 miles on it. I now have about 45k on it. I have the XE 4x4 package. Overall, it is a good vehicle. I love the styling and off-road capability - you must go with the 4x4, 4x2 is useless in any snow/slush or even loose dirt going uphill. The roof rack is handy for snowboards/christmas trees etc. With harder seats and small back seat, it is more of a college/young adult vehicle. I like how you can just sit right in (I am 6' tall) - harder for my wife to get in. Drawbacks are poor gas mileage (16mpg) and less than desirable power for large hills. The interior is cheap plastic that rattles alot, but I just turn the CD up. The only problem I had was a leaking transfer case and that was repaired with the warranty. Would recommend to a younger, active crowd. you will never get stuck anywhere in the mud/snow with 4wd low!!! Will probably keep it til it dies, which is hopefully 200k miles.

Best car i've owned

by from seattle on January 2, 2007

the xterra is a cool, comfortable car that is rugged enough for an outdoor weekend of fun and small enough to commute to work. I really think its an excellent small suv.

Our Expert Review: 2003 Nissan Xterra