1998 Aurora

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

4.1

Have You Driven the 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora?

Solid, fun, fast car.

by Aroura enthusiast from LA, CA on Mon May 07 2007

Powerful car for those not ready to give up that sports car feel for a full size sedan. Lots of features; moonroof, multi-CD, great sound system, room for 4 adults and a child while not giving up that tight handling feel.

GM's loaded cruiser

by spb from Newark, NY on Wed Nov 24 2010

Purchased in '03 with 78k for $8k. Fell for all the options in this comfy cruiser. Full power, great sound system, robust engine, great cockpit, thoughful details everywhere. Economy on highway was 25-26mpg, less than 20 around town. But, alas, the aluminum high compression head motor suffered the same demise as many of its kind - leaky head gasket/overheating. A known problem with these 4.0 units. It was a joy until 160k -something eventually gets 'em all...so no complaints.

great car

by judgemuns from minnesota on Tue Aug 23 2011

after buying one in 1998, and it being the best car ever, I knew what I wanted to replace it with, another aurora, the last one I drove for 245,000 miles and sold it without any repairs ever other than one battery, Thank you olds best car company ever

excellent gass millage....29.9 mpg on the freeway

by owner from Virginia Beach, VA on Thu Nov 01 2012

We purchased this car used. It was FULLY loaded but it is the most economical car we have owned. On the open highway we have averaged 29.9 MPG. This is a full size sedan not some mini-car they sell today. My question, why did they discontinue the Oldsmobile?

Best car I have ever had!

by Olds_Aurora98 from Norfolk, VA on Fri Jul 20 2012

I purchased this car brand new in 1998, paid 34,000 for it. Here I am in the summer of 2012, with 274,000 miles, and the car is still running strong! I have never had to do major work to this car. All that has been done is the usual maintenance, and I had to put a new drive belt on it, which by the way was a nightmare from heck. But the car has never failed on me. The car is very comfortable, and plenty of room, yet drives, and has the power of a more sportier sedan. The fuel mileage, I have learned the car, and can drive the car to get 28 mpg on the highway, but it gets 17.8 in the city, not bad for the type of car it is, and the age of it. So I would totally recommend this car to a friend! It is a shame that oldsmobile is no longer making car...This has been a great car, and I will run it till it dies!

Best winter car

by Wes from Ontario, Canada on Wed Jan 14 2015

I purchased this car used and it is 2015 and it has 204,000 kms, but it runs as smooth as the day I got it. It is fabulous in the winter even though I have all seasons. I rarely get stuck in snow. The heated seats are awesome! I will keep this car until it cuts out. Truly American classic.

Designed by an artist,not a technition

by Auto strada from Seattle wa on Fri Jul 13 2018

I bought mine for $9,700 @101,000 miles.All options except heated seats,autobahn package(very rare option)or the upgraded stero.The seats spoil you for life.The bolstering and quality of the leather is better than current car s.The room inside is huge in all dimension s.The way the Windows curve into the roof can make some think it has less room than it has,but l love that style.The top of the Windows have no frame,so rain well leak in more easy.Each time you park it,check to make sure all windows are rolled up fully,they will sag down on their own. The trunk is huge,18 square feet.It is difficult to reach in to back,just put stuff in cargo bags with a handle on the end to pull it out,easy access.l had to replace the suspension arms that support the trunk,a little expensive. I got hit in the rear very hard in gridlock traffic,4 times in a row!!! In about 20 seconds!The car that hit me was hit from behind,a Malibu,it was totaled!I thought my Aurora was too,but just scratched paint!Took to dealer,said it undamaged! This is not a sports car,but it is fun in wide,sweeping turns.The suspension is soft and will wallow in tight turns.But on the freeway the ride is perfect.The rear suspension lowers down for a better ride.l had the air compressor run to the point of killing the cars battery a few times.Jacked up the rear of car,this is when l am done with work and car has been parked 8 hours!The cure was to disconnect the battery each time l parked the car for awhile.Ackward to do since battery is under the rear seat! I went out of state for 2 weeks with battery disconnected,never had that issue again. When you park the car don,t make my mistake,l would always be afraid it would be hit in parking lot,so l would pull all the way forward over curb till tires touch.There is a rubber air dam underneath that would be struck,folded over and block the air passage to the radiator.(no air vent above)The one tinny bolt that holds it in place would be knocked out.Now it will overheat bad!Take a look under there from time to time! This car is terrible as far as turning radius,be ready for awkward parking lot situations.The visibility is excellent,except if you have an early 1995 model,the rear window has bad distortion.lf you put tinted windows on the rear window can,t have top 3-4 inches tinted,factory sticker there. Since it is front wheel drive with a Cadillac North Star v8,it get,s good traction in rain,at least with my driving style.Great sound to the motor when peddle to the floor.The rear seat fold down center console is the best designed l have still ever seen.open cup holders(simple and effective)with inside storage!(good place to hide your wallet when go to gym,but fold the center cosole in the up position before) I drove my aurora 101k -232k,got hit by a pick up truck.lf they made it now l get it again.10 years,every 2 weeks take it to the brown bear drive through car wash,fresh wax each time!Oil changes every 3 k miles.First 5 years not leak much oil,last few leaked it did.Put cardboard under the motor at least an hour to find out. Now it will be hard to find one in great condition,but worth it if you can!Price will be dirt cheap!A future collectors item?!!!

The only car I?ve had an emotional attachment to

by Shepherdluvr58 from Austin, Texas on Tue Apr 17 2018

I loved the design of this car from the moment I first set eyes on it. I never thought I could afford one, but in 1998, I was able to buy a new one. Deep emerald green with black interior. How I?ve babied it over the years, only driving it on special occasions. It?s never given me a bit of trouble, and today at 20 years old with 75,000 miles on it, I still own it. All my other cars could burst into flame and all I?d do is break out a bag of marshmallows. But there?s something about this car that while I?m driving it, gives me a deep, almost visceral pleasure. Butter-smooth transmission, and seeming to float over bumpy roads. Yeah baby, I?ll have this car until I die.

Do not buy this car if it has a NorthStar in it

by WQ from Indy, IN on Thu May 28 2009

Loved the car when we bought it used. Sleek style, handles great, fast. But, the Northstar, being aluminum, is notorius for overheating and being expensive to fix. Very few mechanics will even touch a head/head gasket issue. We would've never bought this car if we'd have researched a little. Google it....

Does not recommend this car!!

a between car

by aurorafan from philadelphia, pa on Fri Apr 10 2009

the aurora i owned was never sure if it was a sports sedan or lumbering luxury car. comfortable but reliability is bad!!! i purchased as a "gm certified" used from an oldsmobile dealer, clean carfax but after one month, gremlins appeared and things never were right again! billed as the "no excuse car" but that is all i got from the servicing dealer overall a major disappointment and proof as to why oldsmobile was phased out.

Does not recommend this car!!