2000 Neon

4.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

very dependable

by Neonguy from New Hampshire on June 23, 2007

in the years i have owned my neon I have not had to spend a dime on repairs other than regular maintainace. I owned a 95 neon before and the 2000 neon is a huge improvment. my neon has been very good to me

Heart of a lion

by Moe from Pittsburgh, PA on September 16, 2010

My wife and i bought our neon in 2003 with 35,000 miles on it for 6,000. This girl has been through five northwest Indiana winters and the last two years conquering the hills of western Pennsylvania. She currently has 149,000+ miles and runs as strong as the day we got her. I drove her every day 50 miles each way on the Borman expressway from Indiana to Chicago and she NEVER failed me. Over the years I had to replace the alternator, and both front tie rod ends. Did it myself for less than $100. Performed tune up at 100,000 - new plugs, wires, air filter, and ignition coil. As well as the normal oil changes, new tires when needed, and just two batteries. Just took her in for PA inspection last week and she passed the emission and vehicle inspection with flying colors. Still doesn't even have a rust spot on her. I will never sale my darling. I will drive her until she can no longer be repaired. Then I'm gonna keep the shifter knob so I can tell my grandchildren about her. I have owned Fords, Chevy's, Pontiac's at a total of 17 different vehicles. This little Neon by far has been the best car I have ever owned. If she died tomorrow, I'd find another 2000 Neon the next day.

Great Basic Car

by Bob from on December 3, 2008

Owned mine since Feb. 2000 and so far it has needed: oil changes, brakes, tires, and a 100,000 mile tune up. That's it. I wasn't obsessive about taking care of it either, so the average used Neon out there is probably going to be in as good a shape as mine.

This car got me through college

by Neon Fan from Philadelphia, PA on March 12, 2007

I've had a Neon for 5 wonderful years and it's brought me to and from college every year. It's very reliable, and I've had little trouble maintaining this car. On the highway, it's a smooth ride and it is definitely not a gas guzzler. My car was bought used, but it ran like it was new.

BEST car EVER!

by Karen from Arlington Heights on June 1, 2011

I've had my 2000 Plymouth Neon since it had 25 miles on it and brand new. 11 years and 155k miles later, it is still running strong. I expect to get maybe another 5 years from her. The ONLY issue outside normal maintenance has been a couple electrical issues (cd player replaced year 1, sun roof motor stopped working year 7, and speaker shortage year 8). If they were still being made, I would ABSOLUTELY buy another.

My first car

by Erin from on December 22, 2011

I've had this car for almost 3 years now, and it has been reliable. The only problems we have had are due to the lack on maintenance by the previous owner. When we first got the car, we only had to get a new battery and a part replaced. Other maintenance: oil, new brakes, realigned and tires. Due to weather problems and a tree, the windshield also needed replaced. It's a great little car, and it gets me where I'm going. I'm hoping that it lasts me through college, or at least half-way.

Best manual ever

by rocker from on January 11, 2012

This is the perfect first car, and first manual transmission. This car is the most reliable and comfortable car I've ever know and it is great on millage escpecially in todays economy.

2000 Plymouth Neon for 12 years

by Diva36 from Miami, Florida on October 28, 2013

I had my Neon for for 12 years before letting it go. My car drove very good, with the realistic wear and tear after 5 years and paying off the vehicle with my bank at the time. My car was excellent on gas and I only drove out of town 2 times in the 12 years that I owned my car. Would recommend to anyone to get one.

First car i ever bought, along with my boyfriend.

by Kona from Twin Lakes Wi on August 15, 2018

We bought it privately through a guy who claimed he was a mechanic. Once we got it home we slowly started realizing how much work would need to be put into it some more. Everything that couldve gone wrong with the car did, and we still slowly putting it piece by piece together. We have double what we paid for the car, to fix it up. All mechanical issues are resolved, but the cosmetics and comfortablity and monthly maintance is taking a toll on us financially. This is the first car I have ever purchased, and I got to purchase it with my boyfriend. At first we were excited, it was a new chapter in our book! The car has been straining and to be able to continue to make it cosmetically appealing would help us fix it up more to make it a more reliable car, or better luck selling the car.

Our Expert Review: 2000 Plymouth Neon