1998 Firebird

4.9 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
3.6 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.6 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.1 out of 5 starsReliability

Great Car, Excellent price...

by Where'sMyShakerHood? from Chicago, IL on May 15, 2006

The good: fast, agile, powerful and definately an attention getter. Decent gas mileage for a v8 (I get about 20-23 combined) T-tops are a must. Underrated HP, really 345, not 305. The bad: Only 2 real seats. Unless you're 6 years old, no one sits in the back. Stereo is average... nothing special, cop magnet. Buy used if you can find one, they're less expensive but rare nowadays.

Turns Heads

by bigNdpants from Illinois on September 9, 2010

I just got a red firebird recently, and the compliments I receive is nonstop. The greatest car I ever bought, and my favorite car of all time.

1998 V6 Pontiac Firebird

by rj the car lover from Texas on November 7, 2010

I have a 3.8L V6 firebird. I bought four years ago as my first car. I love it. All of my friends says it looks and sounds like a Trans Am. It has fuel economy and a kick of power when i need it. The only problems i have is a few of the interior stuff like the dash and visors aren't very well made, but i have had no problems with the engine (it even drove over 40 miles with no water in the radiator in the summer). Although i've had to replace the altinator twice and the compressor went bad.

Best Car I Ever Owned

by ScorpioTA85 from Daytona Beach, Fl on June 16, 2008

I have owned many RWD cars, and I must say a Pontiac Firebird is my all time favorite. I have the 3.8L V6, and even though small in HP only 200), compared to newer models today, it is sill very fast and powerful. I still get turned heads, and people asking if it is a newer car, they are surprised when I tell them that it is 10 years old. I love it, and you will to!

Bundle of "Odd-ball" problems... trust me

by Redfox442 from Portage, MI on June 29, 2017

The Pontiac firebird was great for me in high school and college! Having T-tops was great for the longest time... then my windows stopped working and took all the fun out of that. The car is sporty, no doubt about that and the V6 gets great mileage for the torque and HP trade-off. I certainly wish it had been v8 and manual, but you know what I was probably doing myself a favor at the time, by not having that ;)

Does not recommend this car!!

Firebird 101

by Firebird rocks 101 from on January 1, 2013

It was an adrenaline rush I still can't get over. I wish they where still making the firebird if I could I'd buy each model.

Fun and Reliable

by Steve.Henders on November 20, 2017

The Pontiac Firebird is a great first car. It's fun, stylish, and just enough power to get you in trouble.

What a great car

by Firebird Bob from Freeport, Il on December 24, 2010

I bought this car (a Trans-Am) in Sept 1999. It had 4,600 miles on it. I have driven it nearly every day since and it now has 295,000+ miles. Except for a problem with fuel pumps which began occuring at @235,000 miles it has been far and away the greatest car I have ever owned. The performance is matched by very few cars costing much more. It delivers 18-22 mpg in city driving and 25-29 on the interstate. And it has t-tops. On warm nights nothing beats a drive with the tops off. If they were still made I would buy another one in a heart beat.

Best for the Buck (better than 5.0s)

by 98Bird from Virginia on December 13, 2006

345+ HP. Same LS1 Corvette motor. More restrictive exhaust, but Corvette has IRS which takes away more power (vs. solid rear of the Birds), so the Fbody Z/28 & Firebirds dynos the same. Drove my V8 convertible w/Auto from DC to CA and back sometimes at 130mph w/o any problems (+ 400 lbs of cargo). Average MPG at 75-85 mph was 26-27mpg. Best was 31.5 MPG on flatland cruising at 75mph in Nevada. City driving is around 16-17. But get on it, and it chugs down lots of gas real fast. ONLY comfortable seat is the driver's. Passenger is tortured by catalytic converter hump (knees to chest...I'm exaggerating, but it does suck). Rear seats? Haha. Car is very low and a pain to get in and out of if you're old or fat. Hey, it's a hiperf car. Body is VERY WIDE and long. Massive doors swings out and nails other people's cars. Parking it difficult and takes practice (to guess) since no matter what you do with the seats nor how tall you are, you will not see where the front bumper ends. Parallel parking? Only when no one is around to watch me. I don't beat the he11 out of it, but I do push it once in a while. The LS1 motor is tried and true. Acceleration is smooth. There are little things that are known to break in these cars (window motor, pop-up light gears, left turn signal socket, rear-end if dragraced with sticky tires). 6spd runs 12.8 - 13.2 stock!

1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

by Mr. IwishIcouldReviewEveryCar from Indianapolis on April 2, 2010

Bought this car used with 85k on it a couple of years ago. I drive this car hard about 45% of the time. It just asks for it. So do other cars near you that seem to want to race you. Fast car for the money! Very Aggressive styling with the Ram Air hood. Interior styling is ok, but quality of the parts is terrible. dash has a crack and I hear that's typical. However, it's expected. I knew for the price you're really just paying for the fun factor. Overall, fun to drive, agressive stance, cheapo materials, but engine is strong and reliable. Gets 18/24 if you feather the gas pedal. Premium gas is recommended. Worth it's weight in gold (by weight i mean performance fun factor).

1 2