2004 GTO

2004 Pontiac GTO

5 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2004 Pontiac GTO?

A Judge for the Average Joe.

by ALD from Hollywood, MD on Wed Jun 21 2006

Year: 2004 Make: Pontiac Model: GTO Transmission: 6speed Believe it or not but I had no intentions of buying a true sports car. Traveling to and from work everyday was fine for my 94? Intrepid that?s approaching 220,000 miles, but it was the extended weekend travel that flirted with its limitations. So, I decided to buy a new vehicle (at least new to me). I absolutely fell in love with the 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, but with a price range above 40 grand for used models it wasn?t very realistic for this 22 year old civil servant. Yet it wasn?t the CTS-V?s styling that enamored me, it was that 5.7 liter LS1 producing 400 horsepower that really pushed my clutch. So, I started searching for other GM models that packed this punch, or at least something close to it. Of course there was the Corvette, but again there was an issue of price, not to mention insurance. Like a sleep in wolfs clothing came the GTO. I found it in Falls Church, VA. After contacting the owner and test driving it, I was done. The odometer was just a hair under 5K. I was driving it home the next day! My Goat has proved to be an awesome grand tour? as well as a ferocious contender when prompted on the street. With only 350H.P, I have yet to meet a coach or carriage that could take me off the line, with the Corvette the only exception. Not even the mighty HEMI in standard or SRT-8 form could manage to out muscle the GTO. ?Gran Turismo Omologato? dose not even begin to describe this incredibly affordable rocket. Waiting to drive the LS2 in the 05? and 06?. Satisfied, Adam Dyson

Best car I ever owned

by Goat Head from on Sun Apr 26 2009

I have been driving this car since I bought it new in 04. I have over 50,000 miles on it and am still impressed by it's reliability and power.

Most Fun behind The Wheel

by Lead Foot from Denton, TX on Fri Sep 10 2010

I've driven many "hot" cars since I first drove in the mid 60s. Sports cars, Detroit steel muscle cars and pony cars. The 2004 GTO is faster and handles better that it's predecessors. The 5.7 liter power plant runs smooth and supplies all the power to the rear tires through a smooth shifing 6-speed manual. Most fun I've had behind a wheel since I dropped a 428 in a 67 Cougar in 1970.

What a great underappreciated car!

by Malibukid71 from Alton, IL on Tue Mar 02 2010

I have had my 04 GTO for almost 3 years now, I bought it used. Even with 82000 miles on it and 6 years under its belt it has only been in the shop for routine maintenance and is still as fun to drive as the day I got it. Now my wife's 06 Beetle has been in the shop almost a dozen times since we bought it new.

Best car for the buck!

by Car lover from Michigan on Mon Dec 12 2011

The best car I have owned, one of the best sounding cars out there. I mean it has a corvette engine so you know it's solid! It's also not to bad on gas with the 6 speed trans. But my favorite part is how unique the car is you see maybe one a week if your looking for one.

SWEEEEEET Ride

by GTOguy84 from DC area on Fri Dec 11 2009

This is car is the best car that I have bought. It rides smoothly and is comfortable. And from my opinion, is great on gas for a V8. If you are looking for a sports car, then look for a GTO.

So Fun to Drive!

by THE NIGHT RIDER!! from ATL, GA on Mon Oct 22 2007

I have researched this car for over 6 months, and I could not have made a better decision. The best thing I love about this car is that it's fast, sexy, clean, sporty, powerful, elite, and FUN! No kidding on the highway/streets, no other can compete (i.e., mustangs, chargers, magnums, even bmw/mercedes) with the GTO. It looks 100% better in person than in pictures. If this car is on your list, I would definitely buy it! One other thing I like about this car is that not very many people have them. Plus my wife enjoys driving it more than the lexus gs430! she always wants to drive the GTO now!!!Just Get This Car!!!

Better than the 1969 GTO I once had.

by goatherder from Tidewater, Virginia on Sat Jul 29 2017

I can't believe that they didn't sell a million of these GTOs (imported from Holden in Australia). This is the best made, best styled, best performance car I've ever owned, including Camaro, Chevelle, GTO, and Corvette. One shortcoming is the leather seats split along the seams.

badest car ever

by jta from colorado on Tue May 22 2007

I love this car, It has tremendous power and is a true muscle car in a small package. People don't realize how easily it will leave their mustang in the dust.

A True Sleeper

by Gizmo from Houston, Tx on Wed Sep 27 2006

A true world car: Opel platform, LS1 power, six speed transmission, four bucket seats, the best interior GM offers, period. Fast, quiet, comfortable. No regrets.

1 2 3