2002 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews

3.8
Average based on 13 reviews

Good Value in Small Package

by from Chicago, IL on May 24, 2006

This is a great starter car for teens or someone graduating from college on a budget. It has a sleek exterior, is reliable and gets good gas mileage. Not as much trunk space as I would like, especially since I now have an infant. His stroller will not fit due to the shape of the trunk opening. I would suggest paying the extra money for power locks and windows. It's worth the money. One feature that I like the most is when I'm driving on the highway, the volume of the music automatically goes up. The one thing that I don't like about the vehicle is that the dashboard shakes slightly sometimes and is noisy when going at high speeds.

Cute Car

by from KC, MO on November 10, 2010

We bought this for my wife. High mileage, but very nice looking inside and out. We have had only one problem and that is with the driver side window. Has its own mindset on when to go up. In research that seems to be a problem with this vehichle. Hoping it will be a simple fix.

Very good car & very reliable!

by from Independence, La on April 8, 2012

Best little car I've owned! Great for a first time buyer or younger kid-very sporty! Great gas mileage-no problems with the car.

sunfires

by from NY on May 26, 2006

ive owned two sunfires, a 1997 four door SE and a 2002 two door GT, i must say there are definite improvements, the power difference is remarkable, compared to my 97 the 02 is so immaculate its not even funny, i would reccomend this car to anyone, great gas millege, a reliable car, and for the price, compared to other american vehicles, they retain there value the best.

This car

by from Lancaster, CA on September 21, 2010

I have a 2002 Pontiac sunfire SE sedan and its almost @ 200 K miles and never had a problem with it. Just my fuel pump went out, but that was easy fix. Just need more after market parts ;)

derek

by from kitchener, ontario on July 11, 2006

its a good reliable car, handles well, good performance, nice sound system, very comfortable ride, one of the most sporty economy cars on the road today

Cheap to Run, Cheap to Buy, Cheap to Repair.

by from Alberta, Canada. on June 3, 2014

I've grown up around many Sunfires/Cavaliers and all I can say is, what an amazing little car! I myself own a 2002 Sunfire SE Coupe with the 2.2L OHV Engine and 4 Speed Auto. I get great fuel mileage wherever I may go even when gas prices are ridiculously high, I've maybe spent a whole $200 in routine maintenance so far and that's it, never any problems or malfunctions, it's got about 204000 kms on it now and it is still going harder than ever. These great little get-around cars are so simple and cheap to repair, it's honestly quite wonderful for those who don't have the money to be spending on parts. A good 85% of repairs can be done in your home garage if need be. I highly suggest trying to find and purchase a Haynes Full Rebuild Manual for Sunfires/Cavaliers 1995 to 2003 as it helps with the little maintenance these cars ever need. Parts are always cheap and plentiful at auto wreckers for these cars as well and parts from let's say.. a 96 Sunfire will fit on an 02 Sunfire, so they are quite universal with one another. If you're looking for something stylish, fuel efficient but very cheap and easy to maintain, this is the vehicle for you. They last forever! :) All you see these days are Cavaliers and Sunfires on the road.

Good for the Money

by from Milwaukee, WI on June 18, 2014

Purchased mine in 2006 with 43k on it. I've had to put a few sets of brakes on it, but with research, sounds like the issue with the car. at 115k I had to put a fuel pump on it and exhaust (living in the midwest, that's the norm), no real problems with it. I do have the window issue, but a new motor fixed it. Honestly, I commute to work, it's been a great car for the last 8 years. Now has 122k and the only reason I'll get rid of it is to fit kids into the car.

Reliable and Fun

by from colorado on April 26, 2013

We have owned this car for over 10 years and it has been awesome! It has only required basic maintenance items (brakes, oil changes...) It's a great car.

Great Car for My Son

by from Philipsburg, PA on June 18, 2012

Great car for my son to go to University. Looks like a black Camaro, but, it is not. My son loves it!