2009 911

2009 Porsche 911

2009 Porsche 911

Have You Driven the 2009 Porsche 911?

The best high-performance convertible available

by Darkhorse from Milwaukeee, WI on Mon Mar 06 2017

Bought my 2009 C4S Cabriolet used with 27,000 miles on the clock. This is the third Porsche I've owned and it is the best one so far. It proved to me that one should research extensively and identify the car, or narrow range of cars, that you want and then buy the best example of that car you can find. I wanted a Porsche 911, 997.2 ('09 - '11) Convertible, S model (3.8L - 385 hp / 310 #ft), hopefully a C4S, with a manual transmission, and sport-chrono. Took awhile, but I found one and bought it a couple of months ago. This is a remarkable car; so far beyond my 2002 996.2 cabriolet that I am amazed when I am able to unleash it on twisty roads or an open patch of interstate. The acceleration is amazing, just thrilling and the handling, like glue, the AWD system is brilliant. I love this car. It is reliable, fast, quick, responsive, comfortable, easy to drive, and reasonable to maintain. There are myriad reasons that the 997.2 is perhaps the finest water-cooled 911 sports car ever built. I will share a few that were important to me. After this model, starting in 2012, the wheelbase was extended by 4" and the 991s act more like grand tourers than sports cars. Great cars, but I wanted a sports car and the 997.2 was the best one I could identify. Mine has the sport-chrono package, a must if you want to push the car and the stopwatch is kinda cool. The cabriolet is better with the available heated and ventilated seats. 2009 was a watershed year for 911s, but even more so for AWD 911s: first year of the new Direct Fuel Injection engines (no more RMS and IMS issues), first year with the AWD cars getting the turbo's electronic AWD system; LED driving and tail lights, satellite NAVI system (no more DVDs to buy), bluetooth, XM radio, and iPod input. I have a six-speed manual, but this was also the first year for the remarkable PDK transmission. I have only had the car a couple of months but am looking forward to a PCA track day soon. This car is going to be a blast on the race track. I cannot say enough good about the 2009 - 2011 Porsche 911s.

An iconic car

by Sports car enthusiast from Santa Fe, NM on Sun Mar 13 2011

This is my first Porsche. Owned a BMW 330 convertible for years and test driven Z's, new 3 series turbo diesels, similar year Vette and recent Carrera coupes (including my friend's base '06 Carrera) before buying this S with 7k miles. I didn't directly compare obvious choices such as a BMW M3 due to gas guzzler considerations. Tried PDK outfitted models but just don't see the point of owning a sports car with auto transmission. Ditto for AWD (also sucks more gas and power, as does the convertible). That said, this car rocks! Great acceleration and handling, albeit a bit nervous compared to BMWs. Glad I got the S as I live in the mountains and the air is thin. Recommend an all leather interior and flashy color (unless the exterior is...mine is terra-cotta red with dark grey metallic exterior). People give me all kinds of compliments, even while driving by (exterior styling with red brake calipers is awesome). Find navigation and XM radio distracting and cooling seats ineffective. Upgraded stereo with iPod connection and Bluetooth a must however (heated seats work well too). Also helps to have steering wheel controls as touch screen not easy to use while driving). Buy this car used and with Porsche certification...you won't regret it!

Owned 2009 Nordic Gold Turbo Cab.

by Butch from Boise, Idaho on Mon Apr 01 2013

I have been blessed to have had more than one of these rocket ships...out drags the Ferrari 458 at half the price....drive one and unless you are ready for a nursing home...you will be hooked...the Germans are masters of mechanical engineering...

2009 PDK Carrera S Cabrio

by Flyin low Ray from Oxnard Shores, Ca on Fri Apr 29 2011

Porsche finally built a 911 I admire. I've never been a fan of Porsches until 2005 when Porsche introduced the 997 generation. I felt that the car was perfect with the exterior and interior styling; never been a fan of the 996 styling. After driving a new 2005 Carrera, I knew I'd want to own someday. The car was nimble, comfortable, and quick. The only thing I wasnt used to was the lack of torque compared to my 2002 Corvette Zo6. When I finally I got the money to afford such an expensive car it was in 2011. I'm enjoying it now with more refinements and power compared to the 2005-2008. The only issue I have is that this car consumes so much Mobile1 synthetic oil every so many hundreds of miles; it is normal according to Porsche. Go figure? I enjoy driving this machine as it has lots of performance, but for the same money I think I would have bought a tire shredding, fishtailing, reared whipping Corvette ZR1:).

Novelty Doesn't Wear Off

by 911er Now from Katy, Texas on Sat Jan 07 2012

The Porsche 911 is simply an awesome car in every way. I have a large family with a number of children of driving age, so I presently own a number of other vehicles. I could never complain about my reliable, dependable, affordable Honda Accords, Toyota Corolla, or my sporty old easy on the wallet to maintain Mazda Miata with 127,000 miles on it. But these are all just cars, utility vehicles. The 911 Carrera, however, is in a category all of it's own. I could write on and on about all of it's outstanding features, but you can read more well written reviews from professionals that would say the same thing. What may be unique, however, is a quick note about its foul weather performance. The 911 is an absolutely stable platform in a rainstorm, as I learned during a 310 mile ride through some weather that in one of my other vehicles would have made for some stressful, tiring and at times white-knuckle driving. I was completely relaxed, great visibility, not a doubt about traction, and felt very confident with conditions. After a four hour visit, I turned around for the return 310 mile trip, and got home ready to go again. What an awesome car. The novelty of a new car has not worn off, the smiles are still there.

It's a Go Cart with 385hp.

by Ranoa from Solana Beach, Ca on Fri Sep 08 2017

I've owned an M3 (2006), 335I, Loaded X5, and I will tell you the 911 Carrera S Cabriolet is Not comfortable and it shouldn't be. The 911 is rough, jerky, loud, but quick and fast and handles like a video game. You need to test drive the 911. You need to feel the closeness to the ground. You need to feel the paddles, the 911 in "Sport" opposed to "Sport Plus". You have to like a quick, jerky automobile. I have had the honor of driving a 911 CSC for over 3 years. I will never own another automobile... period. There is no car Funner, no car as fun to drive with the top down floating down the 5 at 145mph (please don't speed). If you are considering a 911, please go test drive and don't bring the woman because she might want a more comfortable car like an M5 or Audi S7. You will tell the sales guy to pull over and talk about the price. You will realize your life has changed. You will realize, when pulling out of the lot, that Every Mile is a Smile. I drive mine everyday, top up and down 3-4 times a day, and all the buttons and features work solid like a champ.

911 S

by Peter from Boston, MA on Fri May 10 2013

A well balanced and impressive car to drive. Does everything beyond expectations. There are faster cars, but this is in the overall best athlete category.

Dream Car

by Scott from Durham< NC on Thu Jun 21 2012

I have wanted this car since I was six years old. I have only had it a month now, but it is truly a dream car. I have met my hero and was not dissapointed!

Fantastic sports car

by Jimmy from Santa Fe on Tue Nov 15 2011

This car ('09 Carrera S 911) is fantastic in every way. Performance, looks, heritage. People may say the same about many cars but this is a true sports car. A 911 is not only a joy, but in many ways, a privilege to own. It brings a giddy smile to my face each time I get in to the drivers seat. To be sure, exotics may beat it at its own game and top end muscle cars may outrun it on the straights but a 911 sits perched high in the pantheon of all time sports cars. M3's and other sports sedans are wonderful cars (though environmentally insensitive) but a 911 has only one purpose in life, unadulterated spirited driving. Don't let the Porsche for all occasion ads fool you! I suggest a lightly used 997 or go for the new 991 if you've got the cash. Mine is 2009 997 series. Bought it with 7k miles, now has almost 20k. Too early to know if it will have problems but so far, so good. Consumer Reports rated it well for reliability a couple of years back but now doesn't. Remember that their rating system is based on consumer poles and probably is not as reliable as their testing. Many of the classic 911 (1998 and earlier) are more affordable and make great investments though there are several that are collectors items and fetch higher prices than a new one would. Obviously, there won't be a porsche warranty on these cars and buying newer has that advantage. It let me buy online with confidence. Either way, most don't use these vehicles as their daily driver but if you don't mind the wear and tear, there's no reason why you can't. An AWD model with snow tires does just fine in snow too. I would skip the Navigation and cooling seats as these items don't work that well but splurge on an all leather interior and high end sound system. Like I said, unless you've got the cash for an exotic like a Ferrari (I'm told they're not great for more general driving), there's not much that can touch a 911 for pure performance. Though few will put green attributes front and center when considering such a car, I get 27mpg in mostly highway driving with a reasonable dose of spirited driving thrown in. You can't touch that with most other sports cars except a Boxter/Cayman. The mid engine design of that car and it's affordability make it serious competition and a logical choice though emotion shouts 911 baby!

a porsche christmas

by bonehead from Honolulu, Hawaii on Sat Jan 30 2010

Living in Paradise in the South Pacific Hawaiian islands does have its drawbacks, like local car dealerships, and availability of outstanding lightly used car selection. Through "Cars.com" I was able to find an excellent low milage 911S, in showroom condition, with less that 5000 miles on the clock, and saved about 20K under MSRP. The car is a dream, and it just doesnt get much better than that. Pioneer Porsche in San Diego was excellent, I would highly recommend them.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2009 Porsche 911

Porsche says its flagship 911 has been thoroughly updated for 2009, but it looks nearly identical to the current model — the 997 generation in car-geek lingo — that's been around for about four years now. Come to think of it, that car resembled the previous version, which arrived in 1998 and looked a lot like the mid-90s edition before it. You get the point.

No matter, because under the skin are enough drivetrain changes to make those same car geeks salivate. The 911 remains a performance benchmark, and thanks to some overdue changes inside, it's more of an everyday driver than ever before. Don't take that to mean it's well-suited for the daily grind, though; this car was meant for the... Read More