2006 Cayman

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

A superb sports car

by Smerdyakov from Virginia Beach, VA on October 1, 2012

I have owned several sports cars (911, 356, RX-7, C5 Corvette), and the Cayman, especially in S form, is superior to all of them. It handles beautifully, is fast, good-looking, and will carry a surprising amount of cargo. It may be a bit expensive when new but, when purchased as a low-mileage used car, it is unbeatable.

A good toy but not a daily driver

by Colorado Porsche Guy from on April 10, 2011

A little over 17,000 miles and no issues to speak of. Just remember a battery maintainer in the winter or you'll drop about $600 for a new one every year. Also oil changes are only every 2 years or 20,000 miles but they cost $300-600 depending on the service center. Lacks a little power at 5,000-14,000 feet above sea level; felt much more powerful when I lived on the east coast. Good car for the money.

amazing car

by rc from lake tahoe on February 28, 2011

amazing car, look forward everyday to driving it, i have the cayman s, difinetly go for the added horsepower, very fast car, at 4000rpm to 7000rpm the car is a missile, it handles so well in the turns, the interior is fantastic, seats are great, i am 6'4" and have room, on longer trips i put cruise control on and can stretch my legs, buy this car, you will not be dissapointed!

Fun on Wheels

by Own Goal from DFW on January 2, 2012

Have owned several Porsche s over the years since a 914 new in 1970. This is a basic build S with 6 speed. Very fast and excellent handler. Like I had heard, the first year S are a bit firm ride for daily driving, agree. 06-07 sweet spot between price and condition right now.

Best handling car yet

by Porsche afficionado from North Vancouver BC on March 11, 2011

I still own my Boxter which I bought new in 1998 at that time I thhought it was by far the best handling car I've ever owned until I bought and drove my 2006 Cayman S overall dollar 4 $ it is the one the best value out there and relibility as well you just cannot beat this awsome package.. Keep on driving..

Build quality and design is superb

by Jutta from Acton, CA on September 10, 2017

Bought it with 40 k now has 77 k. It's far and away the best sports car I've ever owned. I've had several corvettes, 2 BMWs, 3 Porsches etc. this is the most satisfying and dare I say thrilling car I've owned to date. The handeling, seats, build quality, rigidity is phenomenal! So far only an air oil separator, window regulator the only failures. I live in the mountains and this car sticks like glue with pilot sports cup n4s. Not a single squeak or rattle. What a great road car and I bought it 3 yrs ago for less than a new Honda Civic. And in all black it looks stunning. I get compliments every time I drive it. The 6 speed gearbox is fabulous. The oil changes are very simple to do and for $55 I do same every 4K miles. It even gets great fuel economy 22/28. Visibility when backing can be tricky otherwise a perfect 10.

Magical!

by jroal from Dunlap on November 21, 2017

This is the best sports car. I have had mine for 3 years so far and I drive it daily (unless there is salt on the road) and at the track. This car has the ideal layout which creates a very low moment of inertia for changing directions. It also has a low center of gravity. The result is outstanding handling. On the track it is very predicable and fun. I drive it to the track, have fun all weekend, drive it home, and to work the next day. The sound from the flat 6 at wide open throttle near redline is intoxicating. The first day I owned the car I made an 800 mile trip in it. Very comfortable. It has 2 trunks and works well as a daily driver. I get compliments on it at the gas station all the time.

amazing car

by Physician from Naples FL on July 17, 2010

bought a 2006 CPO porsche cayman S. read every review i could find on the car, from every major magazine out there and all were glowing. the reliability was what sold me; clearly the car is beautiful but i was impressed with Consumer Reports giving it a Best Buy status with reliability on par with a Honda. Without ever test driving one, i purchased one from a Porsche dealer out of state and had it shipped. it is unbelievable how many preowned Porsche's are out there with absurdly low miles- mine was 4 years old with 13k miles. I have had it for a month and can truly say it far exceeded my expectations; i didnt think it would be as amazing as it is. The handling is sublime, drives like nothing i've driven in the past, and the quality of craftsmanship seems bulletproof. The comfort in the seats exceeds my Audi which is a great car, i cant fathom the Porsche driving position to be any better. I expect the dealer fees for service to be pricey, but, it only goes in once a year for such. Just had a tune up that ran around $550, but the CPO status took care of everything prior to purchase so it was a small maintenance visit - typical dealer maintenance visits i believe will run 1-2k typically from what i have read. cant recommend this car enough.

Great Car, Great Styling, Great Performance

by Porsche Lover 2 from Northern California on January 20, 2013

I recently bought a used Cayman S and I can tell you that I am thoroughly pleased with it performance, styling and comfort. I looked around for about a year and bought it through Cars.com. I contacted the seller first using the web, then called him. I live in N. California and flew down to the L.A. Airport and checked it out on the spot. After driving it and having him explain the issues, we went to his bank and paid off the balance of his note. Cars.com is a great tool, but you really have to do your due dilegance, because there are a lot of scammers out there. By far, this was the most informative site and I liked their wenb page formating. Searching using the filter options is better than any other auto website.

My time

by Angelyou from Washington DC on July 16, 2013

I always wanted a Porsche I was excited to see the cayman the next level. After the Carrera Porsche. Cars.com helped me find the car and the price I wanted to pay.

1 2 3