1997 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews

4.2
Average based on 5 reviews

Saab 900 convertible

by from Canberra, Australia on December 19, 2010

I bought my 1997 Saab 900 SE convertible in October 2010. It is the special edition Talledega convertible with Saabs 2.0T engine, leather seats, wood grain dash, electric seats, heated seats, driver memory, dual airbags, ABS and most saftey features you would expect on a modern family car. It is very much a drivers car. The gear box and clutch are a bit clunky but the car is a lot of fun to drive regardless. The 16' alloys and low profile tyres stick to the road and the turbo privides plenty of extra power coming out of the corners. Being a convertible the base is strengthened meaning there is very little body role. If you want a practicle car you won't be buying this car but rest assured that you can carry up to 4 people relitivly easily if you need to and when the roof is up bootspace is fairly reasonable. 1997 was the last year for the 900 before 1998 when the 9-3 was introduced, although the 9-3 does have thousands of small ajustments, active head restraints and a reworked back lights cluster is does take on GM engines. The '97 900 uses a GM platform but still uses Saab engines and major mecanicle conponents. The interior looks good with white leather inserts ad wood dash. The exterior is one of the 900's strengths, the classic 900 grill looks great and the car is nicely understated. When I bought the car there were a few minor foults such as 1 electric window not working, the roof locking system not working, worn badges, aerial not working properly ect. With a convertible there are lots of things to go wrong and with an old luxury car there are lots of gadjets that could fail but all in all most thins work fine, particually mecanical conponents. Being a Scandinavian car it is treated against rust and is built well for cold conditions. A great luxury car for a great price.

great gas milage

by from seacoast NH on December 20, 2006

I bought this saab used from a friend. I have put a new alternator, struts,water pump, radiator and clutch cable. I also have put 30,000 miles on it in one year. Aside from the money I have spent on repairs I feel that this car will easily reach 250,000. The engine is top notch

stylish and reliable

by from Denver, CO on September 21, 2006

I used to own the same car for years. I only had to replace some minor things, but that's to be expected after 140,000 miles. This car is both stylish and reliable - plus all the ladies dig the convertable!!

Good Car but the '80s 900s were better

by from Bay Area on October 4, 2006

If you like turbo acceleration, huge headroom, European design and road feel but want to carry around 2 mountain bikes, this is about the only such car out there besides maybe an Avant. There are 3 major reliability problems, so check to see if they have occurred: the wheels, the main belt and the ignition coil. The wheels get bent and I had to buy used wheels for $200 at 60k. The belt went at 80k and the coil at 100k. The latter two cost around $700 each. I have had some problems like seat, antenna and hatch breaking - each cost around $100. Other than that it has just been normal maintenance. But if you want a classic, get a turbo that is 1985 through 93. Those were great cars.

So Much Fun! Glides down the road

by from Rochester, NY on March 21, 2011

I have had my Saab convertible for the last 3 years and it's been going like a champ. Nothing like driving with the top down on a nice sunny day! The Turbo is nothing short of amazing.