2005 Saab 9 2 X

No complaints

by from Poughquag, NY on August 18, 2017

I could not have had a better experience with my first car. It was a 2005 9-2x aero 2.0. Reliable, comfortable, decent looking, decent mpgs, and cheap to buy!

Uses car for Havingfun

Amazing affordable!

by from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on July 25, 2017

The Saab 9-2x is really just a rebadged Subaru Impreza, so it had all the amazing Subaru features such as All Wheel Drive and a simple engine to work on that gets decent gas mileage. However, since "Saab" has such a terrible reputation, these are the most affordable Subarus you can buy! Parts are affordable because OEM Subaru parts fit perfectly. Now the down side is that Subarus can be a bit tricky to work on, they burn oil and can burn through it causing catastrophic damage to the car if you don't check and maintain the oil levels, and the head gaskets are known to fail.

Loved this car; Sad to see it go!

by from DALLAS on March 8, 2017

Our little SAAB was very good to our family for many years. It drove well, kept us safe, and until the end, gave us very little trouble. Truly, we were sad to have to sell it.

Best AWD sedan value in USA

by from Wisconsin on January 29, 2014

This car is a secret that will save you a forutne for a hig perfromance, gas saving AWD sedan. The car was a high priced sleeper that no one bought, and no one knows how great they are. the caris really a legacy, totally, completely. Warning- only buy models with the automatic transmission, 2.5L NON turbo engine. these cars will run 300,000 miles if you change the oil and anitfreeze regularly. Do not buy manual tranmission or turbo models, they are all beaten, unless you can buy one for dirt cheap and have the ability to replace the engine.

fun,little wagon

by from orlando,fl on October 23, 2013

luv my saabaru,other them regular oil change and brake job is been very reliable i have the car or 2 year now and is been trouble free.mpgs are not all that,but them again is all wheel drive and it has a big 4 cilinder engine.and the best thing i love about the car is that is something different,not like the 3 billion civics and corollas out there, that bring a smile to my face.i have a linear worry about gas go for the linear, want a litte more fun go for the aero. but either way u can go wrong.awd a plus in the rain,great handling.

Saab 92X Aero

by from PA on May 7, 2012

Essentially a rebadged Subaru WRX with an STI steering rack offering very strong performance in the Aero model and standard all wheel drive. Produced by Subaru in Japan. 92X includes limited body parts specific to the 92x including front fenders, hood, headlights and taillights, front grill and bumper cover, and rear bumper cover; as well as license plate area of rear hatch. Slightly better than the WRX due to additional options and STI steering.

saab 92x

by from on January 2, 2012

great car, 4 wheel drive works great. Not too spacious at all, or comfortable on 2hr+ drives, but very dependable.

Utilitarian Go-Kart with Umph

by from AZ on November 14, 2011

I bought an Aero version with the 5MT with 55K mi and have had it for 4 months now. Car is totally stock with cold weather, moonroof, and 17 in wheels. The Aero handles like it is on rails and transmits excellent steering feel through the steering wheel. It is fine for everyday driving, but really excels in the twisties where it installs a perma-grin on my face. It is a fun car. It does have some punch, but only when the tach is over 3K and the turbo kicks in. This is my first experience with turbo-lag, and while it takes some getting used to, the learning curve is manageable. There is a noticeable kick when the turbo spins up and engages. I try to keep it up in RPMs generally, which has not led to any tickets yet, but the potential is there. The 5MT is good, but not great. Feel is positive, but not quite as crisp as a Mazda or Honda. I would love to have a 6th gear for freeway cruising. The interior is decent, but to be really nice I would have preferred to have the leather. Even then it is not luxury car level. It is very solid, functional and sporty. I do like the moonroof. The marriage of subaru guts and saab tuning and styling is pure fun. I highly recommend.

Great alternative to Subaru Impreza

by from Northern New Jersey on March 11, 2011

I bought this car brand new in 2005. Back then I was looking at the Impreza, but Saab had employee pricing with tons of rebates so I couldn't go wrong. For the same price as the Subaru ended up getting the same car with: Leather, heated seat/mirrors/windshield, Xenon Headlights, Sunroof, all of which are things that were not even offered on the trim I was looking at. Now, to the reviews... Comfort: The seats are really firm. They provide plenty of lateral hip and back support, but they're not all that comfortable. You start to notice them quickly on long trips. The overall layout is very nice though. Performance: All wheel drive is great. 165hp is enough to get you around, nothing special. Gas mileage is pretty weak for a 4 cylinder, I average 26 mpg. Exterior Styling: I like it, especially for a wagon. Interior Styling: I LOVE the way the interior looks, absolutely LOVE it. The dash is real nice too, not the super cheap hard plastic you get these days with Mazda and Chevrolet. It's actually plush to the touch. The center bezel is plastic, but it flows nicely and looks like it belongs. The seats in the back are cramped, would not recommend for adults. Amazing how much stuff you can fit into a wagon, especially with the seats down. Value for the money: If you're looking for an Impreza, consider this instead, if you can find one for sale. Reliability: I'm currently at 90K miles. Had to replace a wheel bearing at 60K (common occurrence) and the valve cover seals at 80K (another common occurrence). Outside of that and regular maintenance, in 5.5 years the car never left me stranded and nothing else needed to be replaced. Overall Ratings: I would buy it again.

At 67K my turbo is toast. $1700 for a rebuild.

by from Texas on September 8, 2008

I have the 17 inch low profile tires by bridgestone recommended for my car and have been through no less than 10 tires. the car is loud and has alot of wind noise. the all wheel drive handling and strong motor were the only thing keeping me from trading it in, but now with the turbo on it's last leg Who Knows??????

Our Expert Review: 2005 Saab 9 2 X