2004 9-3

2004 Saab 9-3

2004 Saab 9-3

4.5

Have You Driven the 2004 Saab 9-3?

Overall a great car!!!

by Saab Driver from MN on Fri Mar 05 2010

I bought my 2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear used with 37,000 miles on it. I have had it for 3 years now and have put 90,000 miles of my own on it. The car has always been reliable with a few minor electrical issues. Mechanically the 2.0t engine and manual drive train have been rock solid. I do all my own maintenance and have found everything to be pretty easy to get at. I average 31 mpg in mixed driving but I've gotten as high as 38 mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 62 mph and the A/C off. It is a very stabile and predicable car on the snow and ice. On bad weather days I've passed many 4X4's and AWD's in the ditches while driving to work and have felt completely safe and secure. The 2.0t is a little weaker on the top end then I would like but it makes up for it in amazing low and mid range torque. I have never wished for more engine during normal driving. I almost always make shifts at less the 3000rpm and often pass in top gear without down shifting. My only complaints are it tends have a few rattles and the steering can be a little twitchy on rough roads. I hope Spyker can improve these issues and keep building great turbocharged SAABs for a long time.

Fun and Reliable

by Convertible Lover from Cincinnati, Ohio on Fri Jul 30 2010

This is the second used Saab Convertible I have owned and have loved them both. They have been extremely reliable and about as comfortable as you can get in a convertible. The electronic top is an absolute luxury, the gas mileage is excellent, and the ride is relaxed and smooth. If maintained properly the Saab will easily go 200K miles without an issue.

two thumbs up

by scuba from Atlanta, GA on Thu May 28 2009

If you want to enjoy this car buy a manual trasnmision! it is a BLAST to drive and EPA estimates are WAY LOW on this car. I get 27+ mpg driving the city streets of Atlanta and have seen 38+ on long highway cruises. Thats right 38 MPG out of a nearly 200hp TURBO motor!! Everything on the car is well thought out with the driver in mind. The bumber to bumber warntee covers EVERYTHING. I'm talking down to the cup holder! Watch out for the 2003 models there were a lot of electrical issues that weren't addressed until 2004. If you are reading this then you are already considering purchasing one of these fine cars. search no more you wont be dissapointed with a 9-3. join the club!

Fun to drive doesn't begin to describe it

by Convertible lover from Norwalk, CT on Mon Jul 14 2008

Excellent vehicle, solidly built. Interior is comfortable, with well designed features. Saabs are often overlooked by those shopping for BMW or similar, and they shouldn't be!

I like this design even better then the 2008 9-3

by topgfr from chicago, IL on Thu Dec 13 2007

I recently purchased a 2004 9-3 Linear used with only 19k miles. I like the fact that it comes with a 4 year 50,000 new car warranty. Given it is a used car I had some things that were either broken or needed replacement, but over the care is great. I wish the back speakers had 6x9 in the stock system that would make it sound 10 times better, but I don't sit back there. The 175 hp engine is very nice. Not a lot of maintence is needed for this car. And the maintence isn't as expensive as an audi or bmw. The newer models don't have the Saab information Display on the dash and I don't like that cause it is easy viewing for everyone in the car. It is now on the speedometer which I don't like. I would definitly recommend it to anyone but buy one within the years of 2003-2005 because of the Saab Information Display being on the dash. Gas mpg is around 28 and that is a mixture of city and highway. Definitly a car to have with the way oil prices are going up. I just know I would never spend 30,000 for this car brand new, but for a used car. I would recommend it.

Great car!

by Jose W from Broward, Fl on Fri Aug 18 2006

I bought the car used 3 months ago, and I am still in love. The car has a very luxury yet sporty look. the interior of the car is a"cockpit" with all the buttons everywere and yet easy to use. I have taken the car back to the dealer for service and they were great, gave me no problems at all and everything was under warranty, even the oil change! it has been a great car so far and looks like it will be for a while. I still look back everytime I park the car to admire it :)

'04 Saab Linear 93 2.0t

by Chris from Fort Mill, South Carolina on Tue Aug 08 2006

I absolutly LOVE this car. I get better gas mileage than a civic and the performance of an expensive sports car. I've driven over 1000 miles already in the 3 weeks of owning it and have had no problems with it so far. It's a very comfortable ride and a great atmosphere inside the "cockpit". It's easy to take car of and is a daily driver. I especially love the background behind Saab and all the jet-influenced features on the car!

Best Convertible out there...

by Saab Story from Phoenix, AZ on Mon Nov 13 2006

The best SAAB I have owned. After 7 Saab's - this is a keeper. This is my 3 convertible and my wife has had 900's, 9-3 and a 9-5 Wagon. We have been happy with all of them

An ok car

by La Cucaracha from Chicago, IL on Tue Dec 13 2011

I've driven and owned a couple Saabs in the past couple years. The 2004 9-3 isn't a bad car - in fact on the highway it's great. But overall it's right there in the middle. Reliability was great for the first 4 years, then I started having issues with springs, shocks, the electronic ignition module, creaks/rattles, flimsy trim, etc. Still, parts and service has been pretty easy and honestly that expensive. The engine, turbo, cooling, and transmission have all been flawless over the years. On 15" wheels I feel it handles best and has the nicest ride over the Aeros and later models I tried/owned. I've regularly seen over 35MPG on long summer road trips, and the cavernous trunk can hold a lot! Good starter car, just make sure to buy one for cheap.

Does not recommend this car!!

Beautiful and I love my Saab

by Red Hot Saab from Clayton, NC on Thu Feb 28 2013

Perfect for an individual who is done with carpooling and wanting to get back to enjoying driving. Love the heated seats, sunroof and sound system.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2004 Saab 9-3

Easy to see advantages of 9-3 convertible

The Saab 9-3 convertible performs two tasks most drop tops don't--it holds four adults and it allows the driver to see out the back and along the sides with the top up.

If that doesn't sound like much, consider that most convertibles hold only two adults or two adults and a couple kids, and nearly all come with soft tops wrapped so far around the sides that vision is obscured, if not obliterated.

General Motors owns Saab, and for '04 the convertible shares a front-wheel-drive Epsilon platform with the 9-3 sedan as well as the Chevrolet Malibu and upcoming Pontiac G6 replacement for the Grand Am.

That means the convertible is now 3 inches longer... Read More