2008 Saturn Astra consumer reviews

side view of 2008 Astra Saturn
Explore the 2008 Saturn Astra
2.8

Saturn Astra

This car's interior was very well kept! Exterior was also in great shape. I didn't like how jerky the breaks were and I didn't feel comfortable driving this vehicle. I didn't want to take it for a test drive on the freeway because of the way it felt driving.

Best Saturn I've ever owned.

This Astra is a truly awesome little gem. I have owned now for 9 years and couldn't have been more happier with a car that is not only very reliable and quite dependable but really fun on the road as well. Thanks GM for bringing this diamond in the ruff over to the States.

4.3

MOST RELIABLE CAR I'VE OWNED

THIS CAR HAS MET AND BEAT MY EXPECTATIONS OVER THE 9 YEARS I'VE OWNED IT. I BELIEVE THIS CAR STILL HAS ANOTHER 200,000 MILES TO GO, CURRENTLY HAS ONLY 70,000 MILES. THIS CAR IS WORTH THE MONEY, GETS GREAT GAS MILAGE, AND EVEN SWITCHES TO NEUTRAL WHEN YOU ARE AT A STOP LIGHT. THE INTERIOR IS INCREDIBLE FOR THE PRICE AS WELL!

Form a national club for ASTRAS

It seems there are Astra owners like myself that have had their car for quite some time . Maybe we should get together a FORM a club for ASTRA owners nation wide

Fun and Unique.

I have had this car for over a year (15k miles), and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I got the manual, so even though its lacking power once your in the right gear it will do just fine. The steering is quick and responsive with good feel, which makes it pretty fun on the twistiest. It has been fairly reliable and I have been averaging 29mpg. It is very practical; I can fit my entire bike with seats folded. The downsides are over hard bumps the moonroof creeks, and the glove box opens. It revs pretty high at highway speeds, turn signals are fixed in place, automatic wipers never quite work right, and parts can be difficult to get. I needed a throttle pedal position sensor and the part was in Lithuania, but after a few calls I found one at a junkyard. Despite these shortcomings it has been a solid little car which for under $4k and under 100k miles is hard to beat.

4.3

Saturn Astra XR, one of the most reliable cars

I purchased this 3 door, 5 speed stick XR new & have driven it 90,000 miles in combined city & highway driving. I only just replaced the back brakes for the 1st time after 7 years and 80K. The front brakes haven't required replacement and are the originals. Besides replacing the battery, one time tire replacements and a replaced computer module, this car has been a jem. It still looks modern, as it's design was a little advent-guard when it came out in Europe. Yes it's a rebadged Opel designed in Germany & assembled in Belgium. It handles like a 2000-2005 BMW 3 series ( I own one), albeit without the power. In fact, lack of power is probably the only real shortcoming, but this impacts fuel economy positively.

2008 Saturn Astra XR

Ive owned my Saturn Astra since March of 09 . When I bought it it had less than 9k on it, it now has 33k. I like the car and have shown it at car shows throughout Michigan. It has taken its class numerous times and every time I show it people come up to me and ask about it. You wouldnt believe the people who have NEVER heard or saw an ASTRA. I am still hearing stories from people who worked on the ASTRA project and people from Britian, Germany&Austriala all positive input. Like I said earlier Ive had my ASTRA since 09 and plan to keep it

One of the best vehicles I have ever had

I bought a 2008 Saturn Astra XE 4door hatchback in 2012. When I got it it had 67000Kms on it and the asking price was less the 20,000. I put a lot of mileage on my cars and this one was no exception. Until the Radiator came apart recently I had no significant issues with it. At almost 242000kms I have no complaints. When you put on 175000kms in 3.5 yrs that is alot for any vehicle. It had great fuel economy, great handling and tended to make you feel like you were in a bigger vehicle then you actually were. The headlight sensors were great but the rain sensor sometimes didn't swipe enough or swiped too much but that was easy to overcome. I loved the traction assist as I had to used it periodically, just don't leave it on while driving it consumes a lot more fuel. The traction control worked beautifully as did the breaking assist when going down steep hills. I loved this car and will miss it. Will definately recomend it to other drivers!!

Great Car

The Saturn Astra is a great car. I accidentally set up an appointment to drive an Astra thinking is was an Aura. This was an oversight on my part. The car was a most pleasant surprise. It handles great! It is fun to drive and gets wonderful gas mileage. My only complaints are that the cruise control functionality is unique and there is no plug for my MP3 player in the car. My favorite things about the Astra are its excellent gas mileage, excellent handling, comfortable interior, and excellent exterior lines. I am happy to have made the purchase.

Best value for your money

I bought my Astra XR 5 Door 5 Speed with 66,5 on it in 2012. I love this car. The features offered on this car are unbeatable at this price point. The panoramic sunroof, steering wheel audio controls and six CD changer. There are some small annoyances that can be overcome, I installed the after market armrest from Boomerang with great success. I have the opera 40 CD player, while the car has 7 speakers the 7th one is NOT a sub woofer as I assumed it would be, however the stock speakers are pretty good. That being said the stock amp will turn the music down automatically to save the speakers, I'm used to it now and the steering wheel controls make it easy to counteract this. The rain sense wipers are a bit odd, living in SoCal I haven't really had a chance to use them. The engine like most four cylinder engines is slow off the bat and really takes off in higher RPMs, I agree with most reviews that a sixth gear would be nice for MPG but the way it's geared with only five gives it great passing power for a smaller engine. If anyone is complaining about the reverse gear grinding try throwing it in 2nd before reverse. Engine is a BIT noisy but road noise is very minimal especially for a compact. This car is packed full of random ways to make driving easier, steering and cornering is a breeze, braking is a dream with the 4 disk brakes, let out the clutch and the car takes off even up hill and stop and go is an easy process. The turn signals also have a highway passing feature which took me a day to figure out. Overall awesome looking and awesome driving car. I haven't put any money into it aside from washes and oil changes, could not have made a better purchase.