1999 SL

1999 Saturn SL

1999 Saturn SL

Have You Driven the 1999 Saturn SL?

Extremely reliable car!

by Saturn supporter from New Wilmington, PA on Tue Dec 11 2007

This was the first car I ever owned. I bought it used with only 37,000 miles on it. I had it for 4 and a half years and put about 60,000 miles on it. I've never had to get anything fixed (besides the "consummables" like new tires, windshield wipers, oil changes). To this day my car has never let me down once. My bf calls it "the tank" because it's been in 3 fender benders and one pretty serious accident. In the 3 fender benders the dents popped right back out, all on their own! You couldn't even tell that there had ever been a dent there! In the one serious accident there was only external damage, nothing internal, and I had hit a railing on the front corner on the driver's side at about 40-45 miles an hour. This car has incredible gas mileage - I got about 37 miles to a gallon, which was a REAL life-saver since I had to take a 9-hour trip to college about 8 times a year. While there was some discomfort (the car was really low and the driver's seat always leaned back - it wouldn't go straight up) and the features weren't that great (manual doors, manual locks, no cd or cassette player) I am very sad to have to move on to a new car. I highly recommend this car!

Like a loyal pet.

by papershredder from on Mon Nov 16 2009

I bought it new. 174,000+ miles now. The most expensive thing I bought for it was the shifter cables @ $300.00. The cheapest was a steering wheel @ junkyard for $10 because the foam came off. I've always changed the oil myself and now it consumes it somehow at a Gallon per 3500 Mi. ...a super duper minor thing.

Good car for gas mileage and very reliable car

by Justin from Jefferson, LA on Tue Jan 20 2009

My mother first owned it when she bought it new in 1998, she hardly had to replace anything, besides any basic maintenance (oil change, other things needed). the only thing she had to replace was the center console(in between the front seats) which was 40 bucks, very cheap! the car has now been passed down to me and it still runs good and has very good gas milage compared to most vehicles made in the late 1990's- early 2000. i love this car and is good for a first car, and a back-up just to store in case any other vehicles break down. it has always started up for me and i bet it will for you.

Best car ever owned

by Miss my Saturn from All over US with this car on Mon Jun 15 2009

I bought my 1999 Saturn SL back in Feb 2000 with only 12K miles on it. I recently replaced it after 9 years and well over 150K miles of the best car owning I ever had. This car withstood everything from hours long stop and go Los Angeles traffic, to zooming through the mountains in the middle of the desert heat, to going cross country and handling the cold winter months. The only major problem I had was something in the steering colum had to be replaced, but found out afterwards it was a recall item that could have been done for free. The car still looked near new after all those miles. It ran great, held up to many hours of various driving situations, and was comfortable, even when full of passengers including my husband who is 6'1. A sound car that I wish could be replaced with a newer twin.

The poor man's BMW (of the '90s)

by BMW Owner from Paducah, KY on Sun Oct 20 2013

I still have (and regularly drive) my 1999 SL1. It has 267,000+ miles on it and it still runs like the day I bought it new. Regular oil changes, not ragging it out, not modifying it, and not letting things go when they needed replacing or repairing was the ticket to this car's longevity. I think most people would be hard pressed to find a more reliable car requiring as little as this car needs to stay on the road. Still running on the original engine, transmission, timing chain, etc. Many Saturns were used as tow vehicles for RVs so if you can find one that has been towed a lot, it should have few miles and have many, many years of life left. Buying a used Saturn is actually a "greener" choice than buying a new hybrid.!

Saturn SL2

by paperbogie from on Fri Apr 01 2011

I purchased this model used 8 years ago and it has been great. It's comfortable, tolerable if you're over 6 foot. It's a little low on power, but faster and smoother at freeway speeds than a subcompact. Great mileage and still fairly reliable after 130K. Would recommend full synthetic oil and replacing the transmission fluid every 30-40k miles.

Saturn Makes Quality Cars

by Saturn Lover from Raleigh, NC on Wed Nov 19 2008

I bought my 1999 Sautrn SL2 new, off the lot. My second Saturn purchase. I get 30-35 mph. I am 6 ft tall with have very long legs - I find the leg room to be comfortable. After 10 years I have never had any mechanical issues. As a matter of fact I am on Saturn #4 and have not had a major problem with any of them. I would not only recommend the SL2 but I would recommend any Saturn to someone looking for a reliable used (or new) car.

safe economical car

by practical female driver from on Thu May 02 2013

My husband and I walked away from a head on crash that totaled my car last week. No broken bones. It was a very dependable car. Drove mountain pass safely in winter storms for over a decade. Much better mileage than most new cars on the market now. Also amazing amount of fold through space when seats are down. Very sorry to lose it . Only cars marketed overseas seem to rival it. Not sure why we don't get the fuel efficient models here in the states.

Reliable-- 140,000 miles and runs great!

by notreallyacarperson from California on Wed Jan 02 2013

Bought this car more than 5 years ago. I'm the second owner. Didn't really know much about Saturns when I bought it, and so glad i did. Got 40 mpg driving from washington to california. still gets great mpg, though maybe not that much. Totally a basic model, but runs great. i'm starting to use it as a commuter car, and on the long drives i know it is not so great to handle. that and no power steering are its drawbacks. still it has been really reliable.

Most reliable car I have ever owned.

by Birdie from Salt Springs on Tue Jul 03 2018

Very reliable. Runs good. Very little problems in 13 yrs. Only 159000 miles. 2 owners. Automatic, COLD air. Blue in color. 4 cylinder, gas engine. AM/FM/CD player

1 2 3