2005 tC

2005 Scion tC

Have you driven the 2005 Scion tC?

No better car for the money, even in 2011

by Frugal buyer ... from Oak Ridge, TN on Sat Jan 01 2011

I bought the TC new in August 2004, paid $19.2K including taxes, few upgrades (ground effects, sway bars, metal shifter, metal pedals, lip spoiler and 6 CD changer), etc. The car is now 6.5 years old and has 100K on the clock. KBB rates the private value at over $8K for a 6.5 year retention of about 44% (from total incl. price), and I frequently see used 2005 models advertised for well over $10K ... excellent for any car. The TC has been a lot of fun over the years, it corners very well, is plenty quick (7.2-7.6s to 60, great for the class), nippy, has some go-cart qualities and is luxurious for a car of this price. The best of all is IT HAS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM ... it is now serviced at Sears (inexpensive and good quality service), the brakes have lasted with only the front pads changed, and it looks like new - under the hood (no rust), under the car (no rust - even the exhaust looks recent), on the outside (couple of dings and chips) and inside (when I can be bothered to clean it). Features I use often that do not appear in (most) other cars are the large moonroof and small rear roof window, the single press up/down windows (great touch), the reclining rear seats (good for long trips with friends who are sleepy), the back seat is very roomy and has cup holders and storage, and the flat fold down seats from front to back to carry large items (2"x4"x8's, doors etc., when my Explorer SUV is off the road; the TC can actually haul longer items). I do not know what the EPA smoke, but my TC has always got greater than 27mpg. 27-29mpg in suburban East Bay CA and 28-32mpg in my commutes in East TN; my last two fill ups recorded 32 and 31mpg. Features I wish it had are improved seat fabric (in terms of dirt and dog hair repulsion), a 6th gear (to increase acceleration and also to reduce engine speed at 75+), electric seats and a rear wiper. These, of course are minor for a car of this class. I love the way the car looks, especially the front end, however, the one thing I would like is the rear to be be less portly or bulbous ... and in fact the whole car to be slightly smaller and thus lighter. At this time I am debating if I should trade it for a BMW 135i ... but I am so happy with the TC, it is a great little car. Part of the worry is that if I trade it, I may end up with a car that requires several trips to the dealership or a car that wastes money; money that can be invested in retirement or something else. Lets face it, all cars are money pits, the extent to which it is a money pit should determine a purchase. Having a six figure salary does not necessarily determine that you should buy an expensive car i.e. a 135i at $40K , when you know it will lose $20K of that it less than 5 years and probably will require some after-sales repair and expensive servicing. If I keep the TC for 5 more years I will save $40K; and I think it will keep going for 10 years. If you are considering this as a used vehicle with a known and good history at around $10K, buy it, it is a great car and you won't be disappointed!

10 years and still in love!

by AJ from Pennsylvania from Beaver, Pa. 15009 on Sat Mar 14 2015

We bought the first year 2005 TC and have loved this car every minute. It still looks as good as the day we bought it. The styling is awesome! It has been totally reliable! For the money it had so many extras. Gas millage great! We have replaced brakes and tires and that is it. I agree with the review that the seat material is hard to keep clean. Driving it now is as much fun as it was 10 years ago!

I love it!

by Mattio from San Francisco on Fri Aug 25 2006

I own a 2005 tC that I purchased in 2004. I have had "0" complaints about the car as far as its reliability. It's a Toyota, after all. There are a few things to note on quality however. First, the sunroof and the radio cover both started making annoying "squeaky" noises about 3-6 months after I bought the car. The dealership took care of this annoyance under warranty. Also, the fabric on the driver and passenger seat is pulling away from the side seat release knob. It is another minor annoyance, but something you would not expect from a new car. Finally, the floor mats, which are not standard, are pretty cheap. The driver side mat had a hole bored through it by my left foot in less than 3 months. I needed to get a cheap mat from Target to cover the hole. That's it for complaints. The rest is all positive. Handling, comfort, reliability, good looks, and standard features - the car is a true bargain. I even wanted to add the supercharger, but found out that it requires premium gas. Not at $3.30 a gallon! The peppy 160 hp engine which requires regular gas is fine by me.

This car is perfect for the money!

by Speedie gon from Florida on Mon Dec 30 2013

Had this car for almost two years now i grow to love it more each day. You can do what you please to this ride; system,rims, lights etc the cars sleek and compact for its age it still catches attention from most on the road. Love my ride!

Fun, Affordable, Stylish, Safe

by Scion TC Owner for Life from Washington, DC on Sun Mar 25 2007

I would recommend a Scion TC to any owner, male or female. It is easy to customize, but comes loaded with fun standard features. It is safe for young drivers and great for the young at heart! Great value and one that always turns heads! Be sure to check out limited edition models that have extra features that make them even more desirable.

Nice Car

by Will from on Mon Jan 02 2012

It's worth the money that I spent. I would recommend my friend to purchase one of those. It works good in every aspects. The car looks as good as a new one.

My first and only car for 13 years

by halfuhperson from Las Vegas, NV on Mon Jun 04 2018

I love it! I fell in love with it the first time I saw it 13 years ago. I am so sad to have to sell it now, but I don?t feel it?s really age-appropriate for me anymore and I?m ready for a more grown-up-looking car. Until this day, the car hasn?t given me any problems (knock on wood). Not sure if I just got lucky, or maintenance really does pay off. Either way, it is worth every penny I paid for it.

Reliable and surprisingly fun

by SG97 from Austin, TX on Wed Aug 02 2017

I have owned this car for around 5 years and it has given me close to no issues. It's fun to drive and is pretty powerful considering it has a camry engine. The only issue I've had with it is the trunk latch. It repeatedly falls off after opening/closing the trunk for a while.

by Anthony from Penns Grove, NJ on Wed Mar 17 2010

Just bought this car a month ago, used, manual, with 72K miles on it. Runs great, handles perfectly. I had the rear windows tinted and a system installed, and the head/tail lights tinted. It's sleek and quick, and decent on gas, getting about 27 mpg. I did not expect as much room as it gave me for the small 2-door size of the car, but without looking like a hatchback, it is. This helps a ton for golf clubs, tennis rackets, etc. The only thing I did not like, is the amount of space in the backseat. I never ride back there obviously but my old Pontiac Sunfire seemed to have more room in the backseat, yet this car seems bigger all around. Either way, this car is definately worth the money, and very fun to drive.

Teens 1st car

by Mom of teens from Southlake, tx on Tue Jan 24 2012

Bought a 2005 TC for my 17 years old's 1st car. Nice little sports car. My mechanic said it was in great shape (67k miles) and it was a good car. It is fun to drive and "looks cool" (which is so important to a teenager). Back seat head room limited (no 6 ft boys will fit, which is a good thing). So far I am very happy with the purchase.

1 2 3 4