2017 ForTwo

2017 smart ForTwo

2017 smart ForTwo

4.2

Have You Driven the 2017 smart ForTwo?

2nd time around

by scooter from Kansas City, MO on Wed Aug 24 2016

Owned a 2010 and traded it after 5 years of listening to nonsense and concern regarding safety in such a small car. BIGGEST mistake a person can make! Finally able to get back into my favorite car and with 7 years of adjustments, it's only gotten better. Smoother ride, updated electronics [for media]. Let the uninformed make jokes, just enjoy the ride... the cabrio is fantastic!!! This is THE safest small car on the road --- best car in town and on the highway for one person with baggage or 2 people without baggage!!

Great car for what we wanted

by Dave3687 from Green, Ohio on Sat Aug 27 2016

We specifically bought the 2009 smart fortwo passion to tow behind our motorhome. It isn't even noticeable as we cruse down the road. As for comfort most of our "trips" are short, to the store or restaurant or site seeing but they have all been very comfortable. The thing that really impresses me is there is no wasted space they find something to put in it. I also like the quality of the build of the car. It is very easy to get in and out of and really a lot of fun to drive, peppy and the paddle shifters make for a lot smoother shift experience. I haven't driven it enough to get a good feel for gas mileage but I think it's around 40mpg. Overall it is really a great little car and I feel really safe driving it anywhere.

Uses car for Towing

Much improved compared to my previous Smart

by gwtrike1 from Montpelier, Ohio on Mon Jun 12 2017

The shifting is much better, the economy is great, a very comfortable ride, and has much better acceleration than my 2012 Smart

ifun, affordable fun transportation

by special interest car builder hobbiest from LosAngles area, California on Thu Mar 15 2018

If u only need space for 2, this is the car for you. I am a car enthusiast and use this for my daily beater. The car is more car than most give it credit for and is fun to drive as an enthusiast. It handles and is capable at freeway speed. Unfortunately there won't be anymore of the gas powered cars here in the US. I don't know that I will replace this when the lease expires with the electric. I hope that Mercedes reconsiders and brings back the gas powered version.

The 2017 is a fun and great car to own

by SMARTY 1 from Washington DC on Mon Dec 25 2017

I drive my Smart on interstates and the city and is a great daily driver.Though it is small, it drives like a European sports car.It is a tight vehicle with a 5 star crash rating. Mercedes innovation and technology certainly show up in this car.

Nice little beast

by Luki from Upstate, NY on Sun Mar 19 2017

I had a 2016 Smart fortwo Prime, bought it brand new. Put 24000 miles on it in a year. Car is fantastic, fast, nimble. Not really that comfortable. I am 6,1 240lb i do fit in with ease but on longer commutes you will fell some pains here and there :) Car is fantastic for parking in a city line New York, never had problem with finding a spot. Fuel economy....SUCK...... thats the only bad thing about this car. Now I bought a 2017 Smart convertible. why you ask ??? because I love this little can !!!

Towing our 2017 Smart Car MELTED Transmission

by Sunshine from Midland, GA on Sat Dec 02 2017

We loved our 2017 Smart Car —— until the transmission melted. Now it’s a matter of “he said, she said.” We have towed it previously with no problems. My husband has the dealers Sheet that gives the exact instructions for towing and always follows it to the letter. This last tow resulted in the transmission melting. This has taken the dealer almost three (3)months to repair it and they now want over $8,000. The dealer claims it was our fault and we know we did everything right. How can this be?

Uses car for Towing

Does not recommend this car!!

I don't like it, i love it

by fortwo lover from N/W Ohio on Thu Jul 20 2017

I had a 2013 smart fortwo that I traded in. The 2017 is a lot nicer, the duel clutch transmission is so much better than the old one. The ride is smoother, and I just the way it looks. I also see a lot of heads turning as they bypass me. This is just the easiest car to park, I just love it!!!

Fantastic little bee

by Luke from Tuxedo, NY on Fri Mar 16 2018

So far 26000 miles and its only a year. Love this car, fast, cute and nimble. Not to comfortable on long drives but for commuting to work etc its fantastic.

Very good on gas

by Katd from Wv on Fri Aug 25 2017

Great car very easy on gas easy to park easy on the eyes It's is just a very nice car all my friend love my car and want one.there is not a lot of room for stuff when you go shopping but it's so easy on gas you can just go back

1 2

Our Take on the 2017 smart ForTwo

Editor’s note: This review was written in October 2015 about the 2016 Smart ForTwo, but little of substance has changed for this year. To see what’s new for 2017, click here, or check out a side-by-side-comparison of the two model years. To read the full review of the 2016 Smart ForTwo, click here.

For 2016, Smart has improved the ForTwo's biggest flaws — transmission and harsh ride — but it remains an impractical car that's not designed for mass appeal. And it likely won't attain it.

The Smart ForTwo was a tiny car that, at one point, some of us couldn't recommend and others didn't see its charm. But, like anyone given a chance to rectify his... Read More