Read or write a review.

4.3
Average based on 4 reviews

best value for money

by from slo, ca on October 22, 2007

I bought this car 3 years ago, and it's proven to be a gem! Despite the EPA rating for 24/28 mpg I get about 29/34 !!!!!! This car is cheap, reliable, and big (sure, as station wagon is no SUV or truck, but it's not a small hatchback either). I carry a lot of lumber and paintings in the back, and love the seat-tilting. It's comfy and not ugly. Why I don't see more of them, and why oh why did they stop making these excellent cars? I want to buy another one just like it. Only things I'm missing, is central locking and I'd rather a manual transmission.

Best car I've owned!

by from Orlando, FL on June 20, 2009

I love my 99 Station Wagon, is the best! Is reliable, great family car. I will recommned to anyone.

Training Wheels

by from Port St Lucie, FL on May 4, 2011

My mother bought this car for her mile long daily commute six years ago, in 2005. Last year, I earned my driving permit and effectively learned to drive in this car. The Esteem is very forgiving, and the small engine doesn't get out of shape. I do wish the brakes were a little stronger, unless that is our particular car. The Esteem was a great value for our money, we paid less than $3000 for it. If you are considering a used Esteem, I definitely recommend it! They are econoboxes, but reliable ones, and very easy to drive.

Good little wagon

by from Victoria, BC on March 18, 2008

I own a 5 speed, 1.6L (95hp) wagon model of the '99 Esteem. I got it as a lease return for cheap back in January 2003. Considering that there were no high expectations this car turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The biggest advantage for me was cargo space and fuel economy. The build quality is ok but then I take care of my cars. I haven't had too many things fail on me with the exception of the wiring to the rear wiper. Seats are actually quite firm which helps on my longer roadtrips, though those happen fairly rarely. Other than routine maintenance I've had to rebuild the tranny after 140k due to a flukey bearing problem that came up (had to replace the clutch then as well). There are a couple of negatives, however. It's a bit difficult to get into if you're tall (like me) but I got used to it. Forget about having adult passengers in the back row. But then that's what you get with most subcompacts. It's a bit underpowered which you'll feel more if you carry a load of passengers or heavier cargo. Although I didn't mind, some people wouldn't dig the sparse design of the dashboard and controls. Sometimes less is more, perhaps? Once I added a MP3 CD stereo life was better. Overall, it's great for A to B type driving and light cargo carrying across town. I still see a fair number of Esteem Wagons on the road. I would have liked to see Suzuki continue production of this vehicle beyond 2003 as I would probably switch to a modern model. Recommended.

Similar Models