2002 XL7

$904 - $5,956  MSRP Range
2002 Suzuki XL7

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2002 Suzuki XL7?

Very reliable SUV

by lmcd1021 from Waynesburg PA on Fri May 11 2012

I bought this car a couple of years ago to replace my Subaru Forester.. I really wanted another Subaru, but this one came on the lot when I happened to be there. I test drove several cars during the past month, but I bought this XL-7 that same day and, other than using a little more gas (it's a 6-cylinder), it has so far been as dependable as my last Subaru, and that's saying a lot!

Seriously great Car

by XL 7 Fan from Woodbury on Thu Jun 28 2012

I bought myt XL-7 with only 12,000 miles on it, and just sold it with 171,000 miles on it! The only thing we ever had to replace was the belts. Other than regular maintenance of oil and brakes, nothing ever went on this SUV. It holds 7 people, and carts anything you can imagine. I cannot say enough great things about this SUV! It handles like a car, but acts like a truck.Very comfortable to drive and soooo reliable!My mechanic told me to only expect it to make it to 100,000, but we far exceeded that! I loved my XL-7, and would not hesitate to get another!

Can't beat the price / performance.

by Orlando Native from Orlando, FL on Sat Sep 20 2014

This is actually the 2nd Suzuki XL7 I've bought. My first one was bought brand new from the then Suzuki dealer in Ft Lauderdale. 3 days after I bought it, I drove from Orlando, FL to Anchorage, Alaska. Not a hiccup on the way. That vehicle lasted for 550,000 miles; and I have to say I'm not always the best when it comes to standard preventative maintenance, either. That includes one accident (which did far more damage to the Dodge Stratus than it did to the XL7... ...and the XL7 went strong for about 200,000 miles afterwards... This latest one I bought is also a 2002; with 129,000 miles on it, so I'm expecting to have many years before it reaches the same point as the original.

16 years and going strong

by Peter in TN from Maryville, TN on Fri Sep 21 2018

I bought this car new in 2002, I needed four wheel drive in the mountains of VT AND room for 4 kids. While the SUV does nothing wonderfully is does everything well. I can drive it for 8 hours and mostly be able to walk afterwards. Can carry and/or tow just about anything I need. Camping gear, canoe on the roof, trailer with tents coolers etc. It just keeps going. Soon to be passed down to my 16 year old son and probably good for another 180,000 miles.

AMAZING CAR

by julie from new york ny on Sun Apr 06 2014

it the best car that anyone can ever have. Its my firsty car but its so good have been driving it for acouple of years and still drives great and no mechine problems and great for going a long ways. Amazing car get it

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Thoroughly Impressed

by blahblah83 from OR on Wed Jul 06 2016

I have abused my 2002 XL7 in the 10 years I have owed it so far. I was/am the second owner and we just hit 215k miles. I drive this rig daily, adding an average 100 miles a day during the week days. Including weekends, I would say I put an average of 2300 miles every month on this vehicle as of right now. That hasn't always been the case, but the vast majority of those miles are freeway miles. To my knowledge it is been in a handful (5 to 7) of minor fender-benders and 1 side impact (more of a side scrape) accident. And it still runs like a champ. The only issues I've had since purchased at 91k miles, have been brakes, tires, and battery. But those are to be expected as each has a life expectancy. To be fair, I do not have a good maintenance records either for this rig. At this point, my XL7 sucks up oil quickly (so I have to routinely keep an eye on the oil level) and I'd say the fuel economy has dropped to an average of 13-15 mpg. My biggest complaint about his vehicle is that a rear-facing child seat is a pain to have in this rig as they simply do not fit well. I have to have my rear-facing infant carrier on the passenger side and only a very small adult is able to sit in the front seat because I have to pull the front passenger seat up so far. Once kids have graduated to forward facing seats, you'll be fine.... Just be prepared for not being able to have a front passenger for a while... I have pulled drift boats and trailers with my XL7 and it handles great, even on sand and pebbly river bends. You might need sandbags if ice/snow is a common occurrence though.

Very reliable and comfortable vehicle...

by RalphnRuby from Tampa on Sat Mar 17 2018

This SUV has plenty of space, great gas mileage and a very smooth ride. Also very reliable and stable on the road, especially when on long trips....

The bigger SUV

by Ian's Mom from San Bernardino, CA on Wed Jan 02 2013

"I have and still drive a Honda Cr-V, but I needed more storage space. My son is growing and I need space for all his "stuff". He is only in Pre-school and we had to upsize, plus I have a couple of moped/scooters that I need a trailer for and the V6 will do that. *I would like to relate to the "bigger" people out there that this vehicle is Japanese and the driver?s seat is tight. if you are over 5'10" and 200ilbs you are not going to be comfortable in the driver?s seat. the passenger seats and seat belts are better suited for you. Overall a very good buy, up to this point."

100k miles still going strong

by cars.comguy from chicago, il on Mon Jul 24 2017

this is an exceptionally reliable car. my wife and I have put over 100k miles on it and it is still going strong. our maintenance has been minimal. I am hoping for another 100k miles!

Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

by bigred67 from Flat Rock on Sun Jan 21 2018

Bought this new in 2002, still driving 16 years later. Over 135,000. Never broke down on me, only repairs besides maintenance have been the A/C compressor & computer. I always feel safe & secure in any weather driving, I plan on driving it until it finally dies. May not be pretty, but if you want a reliable inexpensive used SUV, you can't go wrong.

1 2

Our Take on the 2002 Suzuki XL7

Only a teen-ager could name all the sport-utility vehicles that are lurking, morel-like, in the vehicular forest, and I'm pretty far beyond that point, at least chronologically . . . but there's a bunch of 'em.

Inevitably, fragmentation and segmentation are taking place as each maker tries to put the hook in a specific audience with a claim of uniqueness.

There are no statutory classifications - the arbiter of sticker nomenclature, the Environmental Protection Agency, tends to call them all "special purpose vehicles" - but taxonomically, they can fairly well be lumped into size categories.

For simplicity's sake, I denominate them small, medium, large and dreadnought.

The small ones - like Toyota's... Read More