Model Details

1999 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

4.3
Average based on 7 reviews

Very Nice and Reliable Car and Easy to Work On.

by from Wheaton, IL on November 9, 2011

Pros: Huge amount of back seat leg room and trunk. Powerful engine, fast, Very easy to work on, Basically a Lexus underneath the name plate and same parts, Looks best in Black, and Auto Climate control is comfortable. Body has durable paint. No rust anywhere on it in Chicago Salty Winters. Traction control is just okay in snow, but better if it is switched off for reasons explained below. Good heated seats. Great resale value!! Owned for 9 good years. Cons: Gas Mileage not that great, heavy car, very weak antennae built into back window, recommend replacing radio and speakers because the foam ages on the speakers and the CD skips. Alloy wheels coating comes off on the edges. Traction Control can get you killed if you don't know how to use it. If you are quickly pulling out in front of traffic and the front wheels spin a little, it almost stops in front of traffic with the anti-locks throbbing and me screaming! Yikes! Turn it off each time you start the car. Cops do the same with the Crown Victorias. Valve gasket, entire muffler, Struts, tie rods, rear and front bearings and New Tires make this car run like brand new at 160,000 miles! I expect 160K more... why not?

luxury from toyota

by from west hartford, Ct on May 31, 2006

this is a great car. no mater if you are young or old. amazing interior and comfort. a MUST own if you are looking for a nice car with little $.

Best Car Ever!

by from Sacramento on June 20, 2010

The 1999 avalon Platinum ed. is the most recent vehicle I've owned. My dad bought me my first avalon (1996 xl) when i turned 17 and i have not switched to a different vehicle ever since!! i LOVE that car but unfortunately i got rear ended badly and that put my car to sleep forever. After that avalonwas totaled, i bought a 1998 xls. that car was also a great and reliable car, but it was not like the first one i owned. i hated the color, which was silver-ish blue. when it came for an oil change and smog check, i decided to sell it because i hated the color THAT much! i switched to the vehicle i have now and it works just as reliable as the first 2 avalons i've owned. they really are great, dependable, and efficient cars.

Best used vehicle I've owned

by from Dallas on June 1, 2008

I bought an avalon used and have not had a single complaint. I would buy one again without a doubt. Great gas mileage for a mid size sedan.

Best Car I've owned to date

by from Minneaplois, MN on January 22, 2015

This is the last year this car was basically a Lexus underneath put on a Toyota body. I bought mine in 2003 with 11,000 miles on it...and I'm still driving it with well over 200,000 miles on it. It will probably go 300,000 plus. Only this past year did I have to replace the water pump still running on original alternator. Coming up on second timing belt change. Nothing ever breaks on this car. I put oil in it at manufacture recommended intervals and change the transmission fluid every 30,000-40,000. It is the most comfortable car for long road trips you can imagine. The month before I bought it I did a 2200 mile road trip in my old luxury car, over a long weekend, and felt like I'd been run over by a truck. The first month I had this car. I did the same road trip and felt like a new man. This car drives like butter. I put about 1,200 into redoing the suspension after 170,000. This fixed some design issues of putting a different body on the car than it was designed for. It rides even better than it used to. Still doesn't burn any oil. Mileage is about 22 town and 28 Hwy (hwy speed have increase since it was built). Put the seat heaters in because I live in Minneapolis. The premium sound system still works and sounds great. The climate control is awesome and doesn't start blowing air until it is actually warm, which is fabulous in the winters. FWD is also excellent.

Problems from day one

by from NY on December 28, 2007

I had this car in the shop the first day I owned it, and repeatedly for the rest of the time I owned it. I will never own another Toyota product. The car was unreliable and would just die on the highway for no apparant reason while moving at 50mph. There were multiple electrical problems from the day it left the show room as well as many other problems too numerous to list.

my first car

by from Wilmington, DE on October 10, 2011

this was my first car i owned and i loved it. when i got my new car i was reluctant to let this go. a perfect reliable car i would recommend to anybody.