2001 Highlander

2001 Toyota Highlander

2001 Toyota Highlander

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2001 Toyota Highlander?

183,725 breakdown-free miles!Knock-on-wood:)

by OwatAfeeling! from Oregon on Fri Jul 30 2010

I have been the owner of 4 Toyotas, 3 Hondas, 1 Volkswagon, and by some strange coincidence, I sold all the Toyotas running solid and in fact, my 1992 Toyota Camry I sold(Almost 200k miles at time of sale) is still a daily driver with 420k miles on it! I knew I should have kept it!lol With the Highlander, this suv is solid all around. I mean, the build quality throughout the vehicle is amazing! All those little rattles and sounds in the interior is non-existent. Remember my Highlander has 180k miles on it. The other day I thought I heard a sound like something was loose or rattling, turned out to be my kids AAA battery in the door panel! I felt so proud of my Highlander not falling apart like other vehicles. I am NOT a car guy! I do NOT work on my car other than to take it in for oil changes and such. I have a wife(very beautiful just in case she's reading)and two very messy kids but yet the Highlander keeps on staying cleanable meaning no rips in the leather or broken door handles or anything!I recently drove from the East Coast to the West Coast with ZERO problems. It is a FWD suv but it handled fine in snow without using chains. I plan on keeping my suv for a while since Ifeel it might give me another 200k BREAKFREE miles. If you find a Highlander chances are it will be in good to excellent condition if not it must have been majorly ABUSED! Do Not Be Concerned About Mileage! If it runs and feels pretty solid, HIGH chances it will be super solid for a long time! Good luck and for you GEN Xer's out there, Oh What A Feeling! TOYOTA!!!

300,000 Miles

by 300K & Still Going from California on Tue May 24 2016

I bought the car in 2002 as a used vehicle with fewer than 20,000 miles on it. 15 years and more than 250,000 miles later the car is still going strong. My odometer is currently at 290,000 and I'm looking forward to passing that 300k mark soon. My Highlander was originally used as a family car, regularly filled with kids, sports gear, etc, and for family trips, filled with suitcases, fishing and/or camping gear, etc. It is roomy and comfortable. Now, 15 years later, I drive it daily for work, which is a 90-mile round-trip commute. So far the only two major repairs were replacement of the catalytic converter at approximately 100,000 miles and replacement of the alternator at 250,000 miles. It is a solid car, very reliable. I highly recommend and will continue to invest in Toyotas from here on out.

Best Vehicle Ever

by Highlander Fan from Kentucky on Mon Jul 12 2010

I purchased my 2001 Highlander Limited brand new. It is now nearly 10 years old, with just under 200,000 miles on it and I still love it as much as the day I drove it off the showroom floor. In fact, I still get inquiries as to what year it is and people are always amazed that it is as old as it is and has as many miles on it as it does. The body styling, features, and excellent paint job has made it timeless. My husband and I use it as our family vehicle and it is more than roomy enough for us, our two children and our 125 lb. great pyrenees puppy. The only draw back is that I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to purchase a new one! I guess someday it will eventually wear out...

Very Reliable

by Gaddy9 from Houston, Tx on Fri Sep 08 2017

Great car had over 150k miles on it and no issues. Just keep oil changed and you'll get at least 200k on it or more!!

This and the Camry - best cars I ever owned.

by Sam in Cincinnati from Cincinnati, OH on Mon Dec 12 2011

Spacious, plenty of cargo space, good looking interior trim. Performance and reliability are superior. Comfort is good, not luxurious. I would recommend a couple interior design changes to Toyota, including: Redesign the cup holders which are cheap and broke easily. Insert a console between the front seats. All-in-all, this has been a wonderful vehicle.

It has lasted forever.

by ToyotaHighlander from on Wed Sep 13 2017

This was my first and only car. It's very but is still in good condition. We bought it used and it was in great condition. 5 years later I still have it. There has been some trouble with it, because its so old, but truly one of the best cars ever.

Excellent SUV with 430 000 km.

by Highlander99 from Saskatoon, Sask on Thu Jul 06 2017

Like the vehicle and it certainly owes me nothing but it's starting to experience a jerk when going down hill in cruise that it never used to. The odometer speed and rpm's do not change.

Mechanic recommended this one

by Toobusyemptynester from on Wed Apr 19 2017

I will probably be a Toyota fan for the rest of my life. I had ? suburban and a jeep and I'll never go back

Best Car Ever! Even after 10+ yrs

by Love my Highlander from The Woodlands, TX on Fri Jun 03 2011

I have never owned a car for more than 5 years until I purchased this 2001 Toyota Highlander!!! It has been 10+ yrs and I love it as much as I did when I bought it. My husband wants to buy me a new one, but I love this one so much, I can't bear to part with it!! After 5 yrs or so we had one minor problem, an oil leak behind the transmission, other than that we have just kept up with the maintenance!! No problems, Can you imagine that?? Would totally recommend this as a used car if you can find one that has been cared for. One last note, the only reason I gave the interior 4 stars is the cup holder design in the front set is not that great. There are 2 cup holders, one regular sized and one that is smaller. : (

Family kinda car..

by ? from new jersey on Sat Oct 11 2008

I bought my highlander new in 2001 when it first came out.I had mine factory customized to make it look sporty.The car is very comfortable inside, though it takes a while for it to pick up.The performance is very poor, and its not a fun car to drive.I have a hundred and eighty miles on it and so far all i had to replace was the muffler,and battery.Most reliable car i owned.This is the kinda car that you would buy if you want to get to point a to b w/o breaking down.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2001 Toyota Highlander

Toyota, in press material that presents the latest member of its sport utility menagerie, paraphrases an old candy-bar ad: "Sometimes you feel like a truck, sometimes you don't."

True enough. Which is why the Toyota Highlander presents itself as a combination SUV, minivan and passenger car. A crossover SUV based on the Camry automobile platform, Highlander manages to blend the attributes of the three vehicle types while avoiding many of the pitfalls.

Though it may look like a rugged SUV, Highlander is no rough-and-tumble off-highway vehicle. And it would be a misnomer to call it a truck. Carlike unibody construction, similar to the smaller RAV4, and a softly sprung suspension make Highlander... Read More