2001 Toyota Highlander

It has lasted forever.

by from on September 13, 2017

This was my first and only car. It's very but is still in good condition. We bought it used and it was in great condition. 5 years later I still have it. There has been some trouble with it, because its so old, but truly one of the best cars ever.

Very Reliable

by from Houston, Tx on September 8, 2017

Great car had over 150k miles on it and no issues. Just keep oil changed and you'll get at least 200k on it or more!!

Excellent SUV with 430 000 km.

by from Saskatoon, Sask on July 6, 2017

Like the vehicle and it certainly owes me nothing but it's starting to experience a jerk when going down hill in cruise that it never used to. The odometer speed and rpm's do not change.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Mechanic recommended this one

by from on April 19, 2017

I will probably be a Toyota fan for the rest of my life. I had ? suburban and a jeep and I'll never go back

300,000 Miles

by from California on May 24, 2016

I bought the car in 2002 as a used vehicle with fewer than 20,000 miles on it. 15 years and more than 250,000 miles later the car is still going strong. My odometer is currently at 290,000 and I'm looking forward to passing that 300k mark soon. My Highlander was originally used as a family car, regularly filled with kids, sports gear, etc, and for family trips, filled with suitcases, fishing and/or camping gear, etc. It is roomy and comfortable. Now, 15 years later, I drive it daily for work, which is a 90-mile round-trip commute. So far the only two major repairs were replacement of the catalytic converter at approximately 100,000 miles and replacement of the alternator at 250,000 miles. It is a solid car, very reliable. I highly recommend and will continue to invest in Toyotas from here on out.

Best car I've owned

by from NPR, Florida on July 21, 2014

Pros: This was such an amazing car while I had it. almost ran it to 200,000 without problems! If you're like me and forget to change your oil often this is a great vehicle. Low maintenance, Fun to drive, great for road trips, Sounds loud without radio but very quiet otherwise (I like that it sounds fast). Safe for the Kiddos to ride in, Radio is amazing (my car was known as "Club 'yota" even with base sound system) I was heartbroken to get rid of it as I was really attached to how awesome it was. Used and abused this vehicle when I turned 18 going off-roading and being a crazy child but I was always safe thanks to this car. GREAT first vehicle all around. Cons: the air intake is low to the ground so flooding the engine is an issue if water is too high (I live in FL with Hurricanes and got my engine flooded but I just took it apart and shopvac'd the water out ;) the cup holders are different sizes in the front, and I had an oil leak problem that caused the engine to seize up. (I didn't know about it so I'm sure it was fixable) Had some trouble with power windows but nothing major and easily fixed

Not Bad but not Great

by from DFW, TX on February 19, 2014

On the whole the Toyota Highlander is neither great nor bad. The performance of the Highlander is generally lackluster. The driver feels disconnected from the road. The steering is not great. The brakes start out as soft and mushy then is very stiff. Around corners the suspension has too much give. It would benefit from stiffer suspension. For a V-6 engine feels under powered. When I first drove it I had to make sure it was not a four cylinder. The gas mileage is not great but that is to be suspected for such a big vehicle. As far as the interior goes it is a mix of high and low quality materials such as the climate control and the shifter. The seats are soft but not overly supportive and could use more side bolstering. The controls are fairly ergonomic and with in reach of the driver. There is very little storage in the front which can be problematic if you need it. I hate the cruise control. I does not do a fantastic job a maintaining a constant speed over uneven ground and the cruise stalk coming out of the steering wheel is an extremely poor design. Also it is important to note that the second row relatively receives little air flow which can make for uncomfortable car rides. As far as reliability goes there are no major problems. However these older Toyota's have problems with emissions. If you are looking at the Highlander as a every day family hauler your money would be better spent on sedan like a Honda Accord. A sedan still can haul the same number of people while providing better gas mileage and better handeling. Later models of the Highlander have a third row which is good for two more passengers.

certified junk

by from CANTON,OHIO on February 22, 2012

I bought this 2001 Toyota Highlander as a Toyota certified vehicle under the impression it would be a good value. WRONG.I loved the car for the first 30 days.The oil light came on when i stopped at a stop sign.The suv had 81,060 miles on it.The oil had been changed only 900 miles before as part of the dealers service.This 3.0 liter v6 burns oil like a starving vulture after a flood. I will go Honda next time.

Most Dependable Car I've Owned

by from Hartford, CT on January 14, 2012

Bought a new 2001 Highlander Limited Edition w/ AWD 6 cylinder and leather trim package. I really got my moneys worth. As comfortable as any Lexus and never broke down. Today I have 125,000 miles and still no breakdowns only scheduled maintainence. Toyota reliability is no joke. Im told these engines and transmissions will go 200,000 miles easy. I believe it. Even the premium JBL sound system still rocks. Toyota Forever!!!

This and the Camry - best cars I ever owned.

by from Cincinnati, OH on December 12, 2011

Spacious, plenty of cargo space, good looking interior trim. Performance and reliability are superior. Comfort is good, not luxurious. I would recommend a couple interior design changes to Toyota, including: Redesign the cup holders which are cheap and broke easily. Insert a console between the front seats. All-in-all, this has been a wonderful vehicle.

Our Expert Review: 2001 Toyota Highlander